News:

• May 24, 2024, 11:33:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2020 Nats Opportunity  (Read 12946 times)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: 2020 Nats Opportunity
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2020, 07:49:22 PM »
Bob that is usually a matter of how wet the grass is.  I think most would prefer that in the grass but I could be wrong and we COULD move that and Classic/N30 to the pad if that's what the 'herd' wants to do.....We can fly on one and two and leave three and four for Advanced/Open practice as we have a couple times recently when the pasture was a mud hole.  If it's hot I know the grass is much cooler than the blacktop but we can do either.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2020, 12:58:22 AM »
just  thought I would throw this in. if it is a go, do we know if old time will be on the cow pasture ( just kidding) or the L pad

Unless there is an unusual amount of rain (which there definitely has been at times), with proper surface prep, the "cow pasture" is actually a very nice site, and I would prefer to do the entire contest down there. If nothing else, it's a lot easier on the judges than standing out on that hot blacktop all week. But, if it does rain excessively, then, yes, even getting there without getting stuck in the mud can be an issue. David and I never even went down there in 2015.

Brett

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2020, 08:17:35 AM »
just  thought I would throw this in. if it is a go, do we know if old time will be on the cow pasture ( just kidding) or the L pad
        Bob, in all likelihood, we will have OTS and CLASSIC/N-30 on the grass circles if it is dry enough. We will run the CLASSIC/N-30 events in the morning and following a short break run the OTS event . We will try to get the grass trimmed a little shorter than last year. There were a few OTS and Classic planes that took a number of times to get in the air.  I hope we don't get hit with a storm front like we did last year. The wind gave the fliers genuine hell. Many passed, but kudos to the guys that stuck it out. One of the guys even put up a pretty respectable pattern flying in some of the worst wind gusts I've seen in along time!! I believe it was Mike Schmidt.
        Now all we need is the decision to have the rest of the NAT'S. I'll post a complete flyer later.
    Doug   
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:37:52 AM by Joseph Patterson »

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2020, 12:18:03 PM »
my vote is for grass
rad racer

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2020, 12:30:05 PM »
The NSRCA,  RC pattern special interest group (SIG) has announced they are cancelling RC Pattern for this 2020 Nats due to the Covid pandemic and it's aftermath...........FYI.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2020, 01:27:23 PM »
Another late development- I just received an email from Ball State.  They are saying due to the Covid virus they will not be able to host our group for the banquet.  I just asked them to cancel our reservation.  At this point I think it may not be advisable to pursue trying to hold it elsewhere.  I hope to try it with them again next year.  ( In cooperation with whomever will be the ED next year)

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2020, 03:35:51 PM »
   Sounds like it would be a genuine crap shoot for any gathering at any established eatery. If they do proceed with the stunt NATS, sounds like a big order to best local pizza place and ice creamery would be in order and for me that would be fine no mater what the world situation is! A nice , calm evening, food to eat, friends to BS with! Fly, eat, shoot the breeze, repeat as needed and not necessarily in that order until the sun goes down and the skeeters drive you off!! I wan't planning on attending but for those that really want to fly I hope it can come off in some way, shape or form.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2020, 03:41:04 PM »
the racing boys order Pizza and use the school room next to the museum
rad racer

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2020, 03:49:21 PM »
Something similar was an early suggestion.  My thought however is/was that the banquet is as much a function for the gals as it is the guys and a chance to shed the oily duds for something clean and enjoy friends in an air conditioned, entertaining atmosphere.  In other words "A LITTLE CLASS PLEASE'.......:-))..  It looks like now it will be BYO pizza pie........actually now I won't take any bets against cancellation altogether.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2020, 03:53:16 PM »
Another late development- I just received an email from Ball State.  They are saying due to the Covid virus they will not be able to host our group for the banquet.  I just asked them to cancel our reservation.  At this point I think it may not be advisable to pursue trying to hold it elsewhere.  I hope to try it with them again next year.  ( In cooperation with whomever will be the ED next year)

Just as an observation, I don't think we can practically operate the contest while doing "social distancing" and/or wearing masks, so if those are part of the plan or is required by the AMA, I can't see how it's going to work out.

Brett

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2020, 04:21:10 PM »
Well I'm also not sure how the Pilot's meeting would go nor the annual PAMPA meeting at HQ.  I'm wondering if the 180 is even possible for us.  In short the options are few and things look quite hard to do, at least anything close to normal.  I will be totally honest with everyone;  if I felt this was entirely up to me I'd have cancelled it a month ago.  Just waiting for AMA to act responsibly.  It seems some of the other SIGs are not waiting and just forcing the issue.  I think about all thats left is RC Pylon, CL and outdoor FF which is to happen two weeks after our event.

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2020, 05:40:24 PM »
Well I'm also not sure how the Pilot's meeting would go nor the annual PAMPA meeting at HQ.  I'm wondering if the 180 is even possible for us.  In short the options are few and things look quite hard to do, at least anything close to normal.  I will be totally honest with everyone;  if I felt this was entirely up to me I'd have cancelled it a month ago.  Just waiting for AMA to act responsibly.  It seems some of the other SIGs are not waiting and just forcing the issue.  I think about all thats left is RC Pylon, CL and outdoor FF which is to happen two weeks after our event.

Dave

If they push the social distancing thing, how can you have a caller for a pylon pilot do his job effectively standing 6 feet away and or wearing a mask. They are usually standing right behind and talking right into the pilots ear. Two weeks separation to the F/F portion isn't very long but other than for processing models at entry, they can spread out a bit. The long and short of it is the mind set of those who intended to participate and their willingness to do so now?  What a crazy year this has been so far. I wasn't planning to attend, and my biggest problem right now is trying to figure out the State of Missouri's unemployment policies at this point to keep my unemployment benefits going until I get called back, find a new job (at age 64!) or retire in October when I turn 65. It seems like a LONG way to October!
   Good Luck and Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2020, 05:58:18 PM »
Dan the realization is that quite a few of us are in that most dangerous age bracket for Covid and the idea of traveling right now might seem challenging-h#!! going to the grocery store seems threatening.   We all love our sport but this cost might be too high this time.  I've heard from of a number of our group who have already made the choice to stay home, not to mention those like yourself who have lost income and this year is not in the cards for them.  I work in a retail store environment and it is disturbing when certain customers want to 'belly up' to you before speaking.  We wear signs asking for 6 feet please- seems folks don't read or care.  You ask yourself if this is the (XX#@) who gives it to you.  Well at least I'm working-and getting some combat pay-but retirement looks better every day.  I'm 66 in November..........I had planned to go another couple years but maybe its not any more a chance worth taking.  Yes the idea of finding a new job with so many younger, healthier, lower wage workers  desperate for a job is not  bright.  I hope you well in multiple ways...

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »
David, poor man's page?  Well you are on it!  Provided the Nats will still go the action actually begins the first Sunday with Beginner and Intermediate.  It is critical EVERYONE in there Monday for the Pilot's meeting and Appearance judging (STILL LOOKING FOR APPEARANCE JUDGES).  I hope to still have the Banquet but will have to see where everything is with the university/virus, etc.  I will also need to believe we will have enough turn out to make it feasible. 
As per usual Classic, Old Time and N30 will happen on Tuesday.  Open and Advanced will begin Wednesday.  We believe it probable the turn out could be smaller than usual.  We have formulated possible adjustments into the schedule depending on what level of entry we have.  It is possible we will fly four qualifying rounds on Wednesday instead of two Wednesday and two Thursday.  If we do that we will fly the semi-finals on Thursday and the Top 4-5-6 on Friday along with Junior and Senior.  Final entry will dictate that option, and we can't really know entirely until the close of entries at the Pilot's meeting Monday.
If the Nats goes on, we will do our best to run as 'normally' as we can but this will be a very different Nats than we've ever known so we will adjust and do our best.  If it happens, we will fly, we will have fun!  Then we will hope for something closer to normal next year. With the postponement of the Worlds this year I'd think our full team will likely be with us-a piece of good news.  The fact they did postpone the Worlds which was scheduled a month AFTER the Nats might not bode well for the Nats if that has any weight in AMA's decision.

Dave

So, if things go on, what time on Monday does the meeting happen. AM or PM?

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2020, 05:08:27 AM »
David the typical meeting time is 2:00 or 2:30 in the afternoon.  I will publish the full-week schedule if we get the go ahead on June 10th.  If the 180 building is out,  It would probably happen at the museum education building or even outside since we need space to do appearance judging and we could spread out.
AMA 20934

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2020, 08:01:15 AM »
I wasn’t planning to attend the NATS. In fact, I’ve never attended a NATS, but it’s on my bucket list.

I recently turned 60. Not a spring chicken by any measure. But when I go to a contest I look around and it’s very evident that I’m one of the young guys in the hobby.

Rather than struggling to do EVERYTHING we can to make the NATS happen, we should make the responsible decision to protect everyone’s health and cancel this year. Many people are struggling financially right now, so likely won’t be able to attend. Many are going to decide on their own to stay away to protect themselves. The remaining people who have the means to attend and are comfortable doing so will be a small portion of previous years’ participants. Looking at it from an economy of scale perspective, it’s a whole lot of cost and effort to put on an event for such a limited audience.

Cancel now and put it to rest.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »
So in today’s episode AMA sent an email to the remaining SIGs to more or less warn them that they don’t have the authority to cancel-that’s up to the Executive Council who will decide on the 10th.  Don’t know what that means for the SIGs who already did.  Will they lose their status?  Will the AMA attempt to run those events themselves?  Actually their position I think is correct.  The Nats IS their contest.  Watch this space.....

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2020, 02:51:28 PM »
So in today’s episode AMA sent an email to the remaining SIGs to more or less warn them that they don’t have the authority to cancel-that’s up to the Executive Council who will decide on the 10th.  Don’t know what that means for the SIGs who already did.  Will they lose their status?  Will the AMA attempt to run those events themselves?  Actually their position I think is correct.  The Nats IS their contest.  Watch this space.....

Dave

Do you think the AMA will see that SIG’s are cancelling the NATS, or wanting to cancel, and go ahead and bag the whole year? I would love to go, but don’t think I could justify spending a whole week at a contest where possibly 10-15 people would show up for in open.
Matt Colan

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2020, 03:14:10 PM »
Matt I think the other SIGs backing out is both frustration tha AMA hasn’t pulled the plug and to shame them somewhat into action.  Not sure it was wise though.  As one of our much honored members said to me,  he feels this may turn mostly into a regional contest and the results perhaps not representative of a National Championships.  It getting harder to disagree with that statement.  This Nats will always have an asterisk next to it regardless of what happens.  I don’t want that but don’t know how to change it.  If it DOES happen I will be there and don’t wish to discourage anyone from coming.  We’ll make the best of it.  It already seems many on our EC will miss our ByLaw mandated in-person annual meeting.  We will have to wing it with something on line then look to amend the ByLaws to allow remote meetings I guess. 

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2020, 04:06:45 PM »

Dave

If it was the AMA that did all the work, provided all the man power, took care of all the logistics, and covered all of the costs, then that may fit the meaning of "authority " to me. What would they do if the different SIGs just didn't show up?  The NATS is the AMA's party, but it's the membership that makes it run. You may have the date and the sight, but if no one shows up, do you have a contest? Sometimes it pays to just cut your losses.The EAA canceling AirVenture is a perfect example. They had no way of knowing what  standards and restrictions would be in place, much less know what to do about them, so they figured they would loose far less money by canceling than they would by trying to have some kind of event and they made the decision well in advance. I think it's the same thing with the NATS but on a smaller scale. This virus crap is affecting operations within the hobby the rest of the year and into next year, so why not focus on day to day operations and how you will handle things moving forward? In our club here, we are trying to figure out the rest of our meager contest schedule, and that is proving to be a challenge. After sitting back , looking at things and reading a lot on the whole situation, I think the best thing the AMA could do is cancel and the sooner the better. I'm sure the membership of ALL the SIGs have better things to attend to and can make better use of their time.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2020, 11:19:30 AM »
It kinda saddens me to see so many in favor of cancellation. I’m in the higher risk category with multiple heart stents, diabetes and 61 years of age. My business is deemed essential (military manufacturing) so my life essentially hasn’t changed with the exception of no nice restaurants to visit. I also lean towards the BS over-hyped attitude to this whole pandemic crap. My group here at work has been well exposed to it. Six guys have had all the symptoms and all been pretty sick but none were hospitalized and got through it just fine. I’d bet I’ve been well exposed to it as I work regularly with all six guys. I just don’t believe it is nearly as bad as the media would have you believe. From what I’ve read, regular flu deaths are still outpacing Covid fatalities but nobody seems too concerned about that. I don’t mean to sound like an ass or uncaring, I just don’t fear it like some do.
I’m still hoping for Nats 2020 to go on as scheduled. I am registered for Advanced and will register later today for Speed Limit Combat since my Tuesday of Nats week is open.

Matt

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2020, 11:48:55 AM »
Matt I know there are some who feel as you do.  Quite a few others feel differently about it .  I think the virus has its own vote.  100,000 lost lives to this among people who likely wouldn’t succumb to the flu-for which there are vaccines - says something else to many..  Many don’t wish to take a chance.  In many cases those who DO survive spend weeks sick and perhaps in ICU.  Who would want to have to do that many miles from home?  Even with insurance the hospital stay might bankrupt many.  If this caused the loss of ONE life among our group of friends it would be very difficult to live with.  I can only say if we do this this year we will be as defensive against the virus as possible and I will look at everything we do with an eye to keeping us social distanced and be a grump about doing all that’s possible to keep us spaced and safe.  That mostly works if everyone understands that their actions aren’t about choices they make for themselves but about not violating the choices others have made for their safety.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2020, 12:10:12 PM »
I can only say if we do this this year we will be as defensive against the virus as possible and I will look at everything we do with an eye to keeping us social distanced and be a grump about doing all that’s possible to keep us spaced and safe. 

Dave. that concerns me far more than the health risk, it's the impact on the experience that bothers me. If it's so dangerous that we have to significantly alter what we do, it's too dangerous to go on.

I don't think it *is* too dangerous to more-or-less go as we always do, but if you or the AMA think otherwise, and we will be hounded all week about masks and people screaming "6 feet!!!!!* every 10 minutes, it's a miserable experience that is not worth $4000 and a week of driving.

No offense, but I don't want you, the AMA, the Governor of Indiana, telling me how to conduct myself at a model airplane contest "for my own good". If individuals feel it is too dangerous to participate as normal, fine, then I would never tell them to put themselves at risk. I have had to deal with the impact to *my* life* by people in my life making that decision, but I respect it, and wouldn't take it upon myself to tell them they are wrong.

By the same token, I don't want other people deciding for me that I cannot enjoy myself or will be made miserable by people appointing themselves as my guardian. I know the risks, I accept them, I will do what I think is necessary and prudent for *me*, as long as everyone else also accepts the same risk, then we need no further protection by  external entities.

Brett

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2020, 12:53:58 PM »
  Dave. that concerns me far more than the health risk, it's the impact on the experience that bothers me. If it's so dangerous that we have to significantly alter what we do, it's too dangerous to go on.

I don't think it *is* too dangerous to more-or-less go as we always do, but if you or the AMA think otherwise, and we will be hounded all week about masks and people screaming "6 feet!!!!!* every 10 minutes, it's a miserable experience that is not worth $4000 and a week of driving.

No offense, but I don't want you, the AMA, the Governor of Indiana, telling me how to conduct myself at a model airplane contest "for my own good". If individuals feel it is too dangerous to participate as normal, fine, then I would never tell them to put themselves at risk. I have had to deal with the impact to *my* life* by people in my life making that decision, but I respect it, and wouldn't take it upon myself to tell them they are wrong.

By the same token, I don't want other people deciding for me that I cannot enjoy myself or will be made miserable by people appointing themselves as my guardian. I know the risks, I accept them, I will do what I think is necessary and prudent for *me*, as long as everyone else also accepts the same risk, then we need no further protection by  external entities.

Brett

Some people have a gift of getting points across so much better than me! Thank you Brett!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2020, 01:11:11 PM »
Most people will be safer at AMA Field in Indiana than the place where you live.

It will be hot, windy and out in the natural air. 

I, for one, will find it refreshing to get out from under Governess Whitmer for a week.  Hunkering-down has never solved a problem or won a war.
Paul Smith

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2020, 01:19:41 PM »
My main focus is upon situations where we cluster indoors.  We may not have any indoor venues to operate in anyway if safety guidelines are in effect.  That’s why we lost Ball State.  They couldn’t have our group indoors.  That may also be true of the 180 building and AMA HQ.  Even though I will have the trailer there I won’t pack those ladies in there to tabulate.  We will put tables up on the pavilion in the open air.  Also packing the crowd around the scoreboard may create issues.  Out on the field in the breeze I’m not too concerned.  What we will do is follow any prevailing rules.  I don’t want anyone sick and I don’t want PAMPA sued for endangerment.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2020, 03:29:37 PM »
What we will do is follow any prevailing rules. 

I think everyone is OK with that as a plan, and I generally agree with your concerns. What we need, then, is a *clear and explicit* description of whatever rules will be in place, long before the fact, so we can make informed decisions, pro or con, as to whether it is either safe enough or unrestricted enough to make such a trip worth the (extreme) effort. 

But going to all the effort to get there, then finding it to be an unacceptable or unworkable plan, maybe announced at the pilot's meeting, is far, far too late.

In any case, it is *not your problem* if someone gets sick, as long as they have accepted a risk. There is an *extremely high* likelihood that doing this, will, in fact, result in someone getting exposed and maybe sick from it. No solution will be entirely free of risk, you might have someone who gets it at the gas station on the way out of town to get there.  Every single NATS(and all other human endeavor) has accepted some risk of something similar or worse - infectious disease was not invented 2 months ago, this isn't even wildly out of the ordinary (aside from the reaction to it), or the most frightening (polio), or the most likely (a car crash on the way to or from).

If someone is not willing to accept that risk, or you and the AMA aren't willing to face any risk at all, call it off right now, because "no risk" is not one of the options, any more than any other year. 

Don't get me wrong, there is a real risk, higher-than-normal, and if that is unacceptable, we should not proceed. If it will only go on with elaborate work-arounds, then let us know in time to make a decision one way or another.

Brett
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 05:10:27 PM by Brett Buck »

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2020, 03:47:33 PM »
I learned today from my Union Rep that our current work schedule may go on until August 1st. That being said, with the schedule I’m working, I could make it this year and not lose a bunch of leave. But I’m also with Brett and would want to make sure it’s going to be the NATS that I love! And I want to make sure it’s worth going through the overdue effort to buff out my plane for appearance judging!
Matt Colan

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2020, 05:18:58 PM »
I would think that the rules we will be asked to live by will be determined by the State of Indiana and perhaps the City of Muncie.  Nobody should be asking any more than that.  The AMA may have a few things specific to their property but I would say not unreasonable.  The rest to me is just common sense being exhibited in public places and businesses.  The very fact that we will be coming from and traveling through all parts of the country , covid hot and covid cool, where it's possible to pick the virus up and bring it with us makes it important we try to act accordingly.  Sure somebody may get this stuff no matter what we do but we have to try our best not to be a part of the problem. 
AMA 20934

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2020, 08:10:14 PM »
  I think everyone is OK with that as a plan, and I generally agree with your concerns. What we need, then, is a *clear and explicit* description of whatever rules will be in place, long before the fact, so we can make informed decisions, pro or con, as to whether it is either safe enough or unrestricted enough to make such a trip worth the (extreme) effort. 

But going to all the effort to get there, then finding it to be an unacceptable or unworkable plan, maybe announced at the pilot's meeting, is far, far too late.

In any case, it is *not your problem* if someone gets sick, as long as they have accepted a risk. There is an *extremely high* likelihood that doing this, will, in fact, result in someone getting exposed and maybe sick from it. No solution will be entirely free of risk, you might have someone who gets it at the gas station on the way out of town to get there.  Every single NATS(and all other human endeavor) has accepted some risk of something similar or worse - infectious disease was not invented 2 months ago, this isn't even wildly out of the ordinary (aside from the reaction to it), or the most frightening (polio), or the most likely (a car crash on the way to or from).

If someone is not willing to accept that risk, or you and the AMA aren't willing to face any risk at all, call it off right now, because "no risk" is not one of the options, any more than any other year. 

Don't get me wrong, there is a real risk, higher-than-normal, and if that is unacceptable, we should not proceed. If it will only go on with elaborate work-arounds, then let us know in time to make a decision one way or another.

Brett

I agree 100%

Derek

P.S. Georgia has been open for a few weeks,  and as our testing increases,  our new cases and hospitalizations have dropped significantly.  Just in case you're not getting real news where you live.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2020, 09:29:53 PM »
I would think that the rules we will be asked to live by will be determined by the State of Indiana and perhaps the City of Muncie.  Nobody should be asking any more than that.  The AMA may have a few things specific to their property but I would say not unreasonable. 

That's fine, but I would urge you to treat it just like "Special Rules" for other competition - "The events rules are per event 322, with the following deviations", with any special requirements that would be necessary, published long ahead of time. What can't happen is a "made up on the spot" or unannounced rules or "ED discretion", because every time we have done it has been to  our detriment.

If not, there is no written rule against it, the competitor can conduct themselves as they see fit, and the AMA or the contest officials get no say in the matter, nor can they try to nag people into it.

I am well aware that you might not know, or be able to know, very much ahead of time, in which case the competitor will be buying a "pig in a poke", and in many cases, an extremely expensive, potentially dangerous (if you think there is a danger),  and potentially very frustrating, pig in a poke.

Brett

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 06:14:44 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2020, 10:03:46 AM »
I have missed the last several NATS even though I enjoy meeting the people I know.  Why not say this year, 2020, is a bust and skip the doubt and cancel the aerobactic portion of the NATS.  The people in government keep extending the lock down for a few things.  Plan on a bigger NATS for 2021.  For 2020, attend the local contests that may be held or just get out and fly for the fun of it.   just thoughts from an old man. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2020, 12:30:39 PM »
Doc I've said I think that would be my choice given everything.   The Nats is a HUGE THING to me and really a let down if it doesn't happen but it seems the dominoes have all fallen the wrong direction for this.  However unlike some of the other SIGs, I don't think this should be our call to make.  I HAVE made my own thoughts known to them a while back.  Even so we will do our best to go along with AMA.  I don't wish to risk our status as the CLPA SIG.  I believe the big RC SIGs carry enough weight ($) with AMA they will get a wet noodle on the wrist.  Our group is the BIG CL SIG but our numbers aren't close.  Lately the AMA in general seems to appreciate CL a little more and I don't want to ruin the good will thats been growing in our favor.  We will know in the next couple weeks.  If you consider smoke signals,  they have made no efforts to inquire , inform, or ask for trophy lists nor answered a question in that regard I asked a few weeks ago.  We know they aren't making them now and it requires going to an outside vendor and had hinted early on that the SIGS may have to deal directly with this vendor.  As of now it's still a mystery.  They DID ask for a list of Official shirts a few weeks ago but said they wouldn't move on that till after  June 10th.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2020, 05:29:13 PM »
I am planning on attending the Nats this year, as I have for the past 24 years.
Control Line model airplane flying is pretty much the ultimate in social distancing,
so I am not worried one bit, and I sure as hell don't feel that I need anybody
policing how I conduct myself in public. I agree with Brett's previous post
concerning this 100%.

Steve

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2020, 10:53:32 AM »
   Hello Dave,
                    I've sent you a PM. Let me know if it went through.
                  Thanks,
                            Doug

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2020, 03:32:41 PM »
I would encourage you if you are going to get to the Nats to go ahead and get registered.  The AMA has said they will refund 100% if it is cancelled.  Among other things this will help them make decisions and help us plan accordingly.   It’s also not too late to volunteer.  We have and will lose some of our regular crew and will be short.  If you are willing to step up and let us know.......

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2020, 12:21:34 PM »
Dave, thank you for doing all you can to protect our interests. There have been some very wise thoughts shared on this thread.
I believe there are four issues causing the AMA to wait until June 10. One of course is what the Governor determines for the State.
Two, I am merely guessing the business side of AMA needs revenue like all other businesses in the world, especially now. Three is concerned with how many competitors are likely to participate. And finally, the latest data about the trends in the virus including the experiences of states that have relaxed their restrictions.

The only thing that seems consistent is uncertainty. I would encourage any pilot who may attend to register now. The registration fees are 100% refundable if the event is in fact cancelled. I personally believe it will be but I have registered. By registering, at least we give the AMA some data that may be helpful to them in their final decision.

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2020, 12:31:32 PM »
I have registered for Advanced. I was going to register for speed limit combat. When I went on AMA site, there is a $50 combat registration as well as a $10 event registration. Is this correct? Last time I officially entered the Nats, there was a Nats registration fee and then an individual event fee. I thought that when I registered for Advanced, I thought it was $50 for Nats and $45 for the event. I assumed the $50 Nats fee would cover both PA and combat. Anybody know if this is not the case? I’m not really properly prepared for Speed Limit but for the $10 event fee I thought it would be fun. If I have to pay another $50 Nats registration, kinda takes the fun out of it!

Matt

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2020, 12:44:16 PM »
I have the same problem if I fly racing and stunt $100 in basic entry fees. it didn't used to be that way
rad racer

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2020, 01:10:32 PM »
That doesn’t sound right to me- maybe an oversite.  Call AMA Monday to clarify.  It may be mid week before I’ll get a chance with my work schedule.  Let us know!
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2020, 01:37:45 PM »
Wife tells me Monday is a national holiday. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2020, 01:44:27 PM »
Yeah whoops!   It’s all running together.
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2020, 01:47:49 PM »
You are working too hard Dave,  slow down and relax more.  I got two more flights Thursday and a dorked Ringmaster that is now repaired. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2020, 03:02:29 PM »
Yolanda's post gives me pause for concern..she indictated that the state  MAY be open 100% by the 4th. If it is not, restaurants can only be 50% occupied. It is bad enough getting in before, if it us half capacity I am not sure how that will work out. Before I commit to make that long trip I will be monitoring that status. Unfortunately, AMA will not know that by June 10th. Not sure what their criteria will be to make that decision. Hope it is more than economics of the AMA.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2020, 03:26:56 PM »
I was just reading from the governors website there the other day.  He opened to their phase 3 in most of the state last week but kept Marion county (Muncie) back at phase 2 until June 1st because it was still having too many cases.  I’m concerned that as they open it up the cases will climb again as it is elsewhere and they will pull back again.  Phase 2 allows ( if I recall) no more than 10 in a group most everywhere.  The eateries were scaled back much the same.   Don’t know anything about the hotels.  I got on the Iron Man website to see what they were doing.  Apparently nobody there knows what’s going on either and their leadership hasn’t given them any guidance.  Geez you can’t just wait till three or four weeks and try to figure it all out! 
AMA 20934

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2020, 03:35:54 PM »
Dave, Muncie is in Delaware county. Indianapolis is Marion county.

Matt

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2020, 03:52:07 PM »
Sorry your right but I was Marion And Delaware I think.  I’ll look that up again.  In any case we will need to see how opening affects things.
AMA 20934

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2020, 04:14:24 PM »
Dave,
Where can I find the NATS schedule?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2020, 05:05:29 PM »
I may have one at home but that doesn’t help.  This should be enough info for you for now:

Sunday July 12
Intermediate and Beginner Stunt
Monday July 13
Pilots Meeting and Appearance judging. 2:00 pm
Tuesday July 14
Classic , M30, Old Time
Wednesday July 15
Advanced and Open Qualifying
Thursday July 16
Advanced and Open Qualifying *
Friday July 17
Open Semi finals , Advanced finals
Saturday July 18
Open finals, Junior and Senior Aerobatics

* There is some possibility with a very small turnout we MAY combine Wednesday and Thursday rounds into one day on Wednesday and move the following schedule forward one day and finish Friday instead of Saturday.  Last I saw a few days ago we had 20 entries (combined).  If the numbers don’t grow much more we may look at that but can’t know for sure until entries are closed.

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »
Thanks so much Dave.
Crist