News:

• May 24, 2024, 06:40:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2020 Nats Opportunity  (Read 12941 times)

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
2020 Nats Opportunity
« on: January 07, 2020, 11:35:55 AM »
PAMPA has yet to name the Event Director, CL Aerobatics for the 2020 event.  This needs to be accomplished in the next days or weeks to begin planning. A CD license will be required.  Full support and some compensation is included.
Interested persons please inquire here:

VegasDave4@gmail.com

Thank You

The management
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 2020 Nats Opportunity
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 03:23:00 PM »
Dave, I was the CLPA event director for three years. I had no CD license. Have things changed?

I asked before volunteering and was told the overall Nat's director has a CD license, and that was all that was necessary.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 04:09:06 PM »
Just a friendly tip. As the current "management" you might want to start recruiting judges in advance of your pending ED appointment. 

Derek

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 04:56:49 PM »
Dave, I was the CLPA event director for three years. I had no CD license. Have things changed?

I asked before volunteering and was told the overall Nat's director has a CD license, and that was all that was necessary.
Paul I can ask directly of AMA but I was told by someone else it had been made a requirement.  I had thought perhaps that simply nobody had inquired or cared to ask before.  I will ask tomorrow to verify.

Just to say-  I just recently got my CD license and it’s really no big deal to get one.
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 05:01:30 PM »
Just a friendly tip. As the current "management" you might want to start recruiting judges in advance of your pending ED appointment. 

Derek
Derek I had thought (and how it worked out when I was the Assistant) the ED would be involved in recruiting of the judges,  with Mark’s help and guidance.  I don’t think PAMPA was directly involved with that, at least in that case.
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 05:23:05 PM »
I just emailed Yolanda about the CD question.  I’ll report when I hear back.
AMA 20934

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 05:35:57 PM »
Derek I had thought (and how it worked out when I was the Assistant) the ED would be involved in recruiting of the judges,  with Mark’s help and guidance.  I don’t think PAMPA was directly involved with that, at least in that case.

You are correct,  however,  we don't have an ED yet. Judge, tabulator, and other volunteer positions should be getting filled now. The longer we wait, the less likely we will have everyone we need to run the contest. Please don't take this the wrong way, but until the ED spot is filled, you are the big man in charge... I'm sure that whomever might take the position,  would be very grateful for anyone who you might be able to get.

Just a suggestion,  nothing else.

Derek

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 06:14:40 PM »
Thanks Derek.  I had planned to obtain the list of personnel from last year and get email off to Mark O.  I know this will also require some extra work this year because the guys at AMA who made trophies and shirts have both retired and they tell us some of this will be up to us to resource on our own.  This I had already planned to pursue from the PAMPA side of things.  I may see about working a deal with the other control line groups to source/buy together as group.
AMA 20934

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 06:18:14 PM »
Thanks Derek.  I had planned to obtain the list of personnel from last year and get email off to Mark O.  I know this will also require some extra work this year because the guys at AMA who made trophies and shirts have both retired and they tell us some of this will be up to us to resource on our own.  This I had already planned to pursue from the PAMPA side of things.

I'll see what I can do for trophies. I'll send you a private email. 

Talk to you soon.
Derek

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 06:39:19 PM »
I'll see what I can do for trophies. I'll send you a private email. 

Talk to you soon.
Derek
Thank you sir.  Yolanda says they will send out art work for the plates.   This might just be for the unofficial events-not totally clear yet.
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 07:11:12 PM »
Yolanda just answered my email.  YES it is required but she says "it's easy to get"... y1
AMA 20934

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 12:15:21 AM »
Yolanda just answered my email.  YES it is required but she says "it's easy to get"... y1

This invalidates the results of Nats for which PW was event director, as well as any weddings or baptisms he preformed as ED.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 01:33:46 PM »
Oh that's too easy.  A fine of three more Nats ED assignments is levied.

We have our first OFFICIAL crew volunteer!   Don Main will return as pull tester.  Thanks to him.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 01:05:24 PM »
Oh that's too easy.  A fine of three more Nats ED assignments is levied.

We have our first OFFICIAL crew volunteer!   Don Main will return as pull tester.  Thanks to him.

Dave

I volunteer Brett to run the Nats. No need to tell him till he gets there. I'm sure he will understand. 

Derek

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 01:42:58 PM »
If u are an ED why do u need a CD's license ??. all the years I ran Racing at the Nats I was never asked if I had a CD's license
rad racer

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 03:53:33 PM »
If u are an ED why do u need a CD's license ??. all the years I ran Racing at the Nats I was never asked if I had a CD's license

That was back when you were young. Things have changed...
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 04:39:20 PM »
To be honest we may not know.  I think the question has been seldom asked......

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 07:17:59 PM »
This invalidates the results of Nats for which PW was event director, as well as any weddings or baptisms he preformed as ED.
Who won those years? Maybe somebody doesn't have twelve titles after all. And if PW can't produce a birth certificate...I suggest a FISA inquiry.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 06:00:11 AM »
There are a number of Nats Stunt regulars who have not yet taken their turn in the Director barrel. Perhaps it is time to look at the list of Nats Stunt regulars and chide some of them to step up and serve. I won't name names here, but I could easily identify five or six who participate regularly in the flying but who have not yet stepped forward to take their turn at the helm.

Bob Hunt

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 04:37:16 PM »
(crickets)........
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 10:46:54 AM »
Today I am reaching out to quite a few former judges, tabulators, pull testers, etc.,  hoping to fill those slots for this Nats.  I am getting a number of 'failed message' returns with outdated emails.  If you are one of these folk OR anyone who would like to help crew this time in some capacity please let me know by email ASAP.  I prefer this method for both time management and the hearing aids hate the phone these days so I seldom use it.    My email:   VegasDave4@gmail.com

Thank You.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 07:25:20 PM »
That was back when you were young. Things have changed...

how about a little respect for your Elders
rad racer

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2020, 05:38:16 AM »
how about a little respect for your Elders
Bob, as you know, I respect my elders. My respect for you is immeasurable.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2020, 05:59:11 AM »
Something I've really noticed:  the ladies are all quick to reply and eager to help. (thank you).   The guys..............thanks to those who have so far. 

#1fanMMG !
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2020, 08:49:10 AM »
We haven’t held a banquet for the last 2-3 years for a couple reasons.  I am thinking about having an OPENING dinner this time the evening of the pilots meeting,  before we all get too wound up in contest week.  I hope we can find a restaurant that can handle our group and you will just order and pay as individuals.  Allen Goff is helping to find a venue.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2020, 01:50:08 PM »
     Dave, Kathleen and I still plan to help with tabulating and judging, and I know some of the other gals in DVIII will be volunteering in the areas of tabulating and running scores. Kathleen and I will volunteer again to run the CLASSIC/ NOSTALGIA-30, and OTS events if needed. I think I will also be a  judge, or whatever with Bob Brookins in the Intermediate NON-Sanctioned event on the Sunday.
     Doug 

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2020, 05:04:30 PM »
Doug and Kathleen Thank You!  You can always be counted upon.

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2020, 06:47:02 PM »
As of this evening we have half the judges,  3 of 4 pull testers, 4 of 5 or 6 gals in the tab trailer, all unofficial event directors on board, one of two or ? computer gurus.  Have not determined appearance judges yet.  Also have 1 of two field helpers to patch cracks and other odd jobs. Keep it coming folks!

Thanks!

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2020, 05:22:42 AM »
Bump.

Derek

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2020, 12:38:44 PM »
My count right now has eight judges so far.  Last year we had 14.  I’m hearing we may have a very good turnout with a few flying who haven’t for a while.  This also includes about three of our regular judges who are flying this time.  That means we need a few NEW judges to come forward.........

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2020, 08:34:10 AM »
Still looking for five more to judge, one pull tester, one more gal for the tab trailer.........Come spend some time in Muncie with us....

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2020, 12:23:01 PM »
Folks we are still looking for about four more brave souls to step up and judge.  If you haven’t judged at the Nats before please don’t worry.  Mark will get you trained and offer any coaching you may want.  If you are coming to spectate or enter non- official events,  consider giving this a try.  We are beginning to realize as our group is growing older we need to bring up a new batch of judges to cover the bases.
If it helps,  AMA is going to announce that for the first time,  they will wave the $50 basic registration fee for first- time Nats goers this year.
It seems to have fallen to me to be the ED this year.  I am trying to plan an WELCOMING dinner for Monday evening.  We are looking at options ranging from pizza at the LPad to a catered event at Ball State University.  I am trying to keep the cost reasonable but yet have a good social gathering.
Please come join us and help out if you can.

Thanks!

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2020, 01:27:07 PM »
Update:   We will have a Welcoming Banquet Monday evening July 13, 6:00 pm at Ball State University, Cardinal Hall.  This will be buffet style with Italian lasagna, pasta, salads and breads.  Tickets will be about $18.00 and includes gratuity.  You may buy your tickets at the pilot's meeting at the 180 building Monday afternoon.
Once again we will be asking for donations in two ways:
The trophy fund;  a few of the trophies are purchased by the AMA based upon the number of entries for each event.  The rest are purchased with donations.  The cost for our part in the last couple years was about $800.00.  It could run a little more this time because the AMA isn't making them in house anymore and is working out an arrangement with an outside source.  I will post a separate thread soon for that.  We are in the process of adding Visa and MasterCard to the PAMPA website to send money there in addition to (and potentially in place of ) PayPal.  You will be able to donate there or simply send a check to us earmarked for that fund.
The judges GoFundMe fund; is already up and running.   This was done for the first time last year and garnered about $1200.00 to help our judges and crew with some of their expenses.  Donate early-and often! 
All for now.......
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 02:01:46 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2020, 06:32:23 AM »
Update:   We will have a Welcoming Banquet Monday evening July 13, 6:00 pm at Ball State University, Cardinal Hall.  This will be buffet style with Italian lasagna, pasta, salads and breads.  Tickets will be about $18.00 and includes gratuity.  You may buy your tickets at the pilot's meeting at the 180 building Monday afternoon.
Once again we will be asking for donations in two ways:
The trophy fund;  a few of the trophies are purchased by the AMA based upon the number of entries for each event.  The rest are purchased with donations.  The cost for our part in the last couple years was about $800.00.  It could run a little more this time because the AMA isn't making them in house anymore and is working out an arrangement with an outside source.  I will post a separate thread soon for that.  We are in the process of adding Visa and MasterCard to the PAMPA website to send money there in addition to (and potentially in place of ) PayPal.  You will be able to donate there or simply send a check to us earmarked for that fund.
The judges GoFundMe fund; is already up and running.   This was done for the first time last year and garnered about $1200.00 to help our judges and crew with some of their expenses.  Donate early-and often! 
All for now.......

Thanks for stepping up Dave, and thanks for putting together a banquet.  The Barry's will make the rookie of the year prop, as we have done for the past 7-8 years.

Derek

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2020, 12:02:01 PM »
If the Nats does happen (I know many states are opening up in the next couple weeks), When should people arrive. I would hope to fly classic and judge PA. Banquet Monday night. Would arriving Monday be reasonable, or does something happen Sunday? Everything finishes Saturday afternoon, correct?

Last nats I attended was Reno 84 and I was 9.

Also, is there a poorman's page where people look for roomates to split the room cost?

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2020, 05:02:34 PM »
David, poor man's page?  Well you are on it!  Provided the Nats will still go the action actually begins the first Sunday with Beginner and Intermediate.  It is critical EVERYONE in there Monday for the Pilot's meeting and Appearance judging (STILL LOOKING FOR APPEARANCE JUDGES).  I hope to still have the Banquet but will have to see where everything is with the university/virus, etc.  I will also need to believe we will have enough turn out to make it feasible. 
As per usual Classic, Old Time and N30 will happen on Tuesday.  Open and Advanced will begin Wednesday.  We believe it probable the turn out could be smaller than usual.  We have formulated possible adjustments into the schedule depending on what level of entry we have.  It is possible we will fly four qualifying rounds on Wednesday instead of two Wednesday and two Thursday.  If we do that we will fly the semi-finals on Thursday and the Top 4-5-6 on Friday along with Junior and Senior.  Final entry will dictate that option, and we can't really know entirely until the close of entries at the Pilot's meeting Monday.
If the Nats goes on, we will do our best to run as 'normally' as we can but this will be a very different Nats than we've ever known so we will adjust and do our best.  If it happens, we will fly, we will have fun!  Then we will hope for something closer to normal next year. With the postponement of the Worlds this year I'd think our full team will likely be with us-a piece of good news.  The fact they did postpone the Worlds which was scheduled a month AFTER the Nats might not bode well for the Nats if that has any weight in AMA's decision.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2020, 08:24:11 PM »
they are going to make a decision on the nats on JUNE 10  but we need to get entries in by JUNE 1st to avoid a Penalty ????
rad racer

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2020, 06:48:11 AM »
Good question...I've messaged HQ for clarification and to see if they will move the penalty date to July 1st.  I completely understand people wanting to wait until they know what is going on.  However when and if they DO decide to go on with I will ask, beg, everyone to get signed up ASAP so that we can RUSH the plans on through with regards to trophies, banquet, etc.  I will need a clue as to turnout to get our act together.  Also remember AMA pays for a certain (limited) number of the trophies based upon ADVANCE ENTRIES by the penalty date.  The rest are on us.  If you wait till the last minute-well it's not helpful.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »
I sent an Email to AMA yesterday expressing my concern that they would cancel and got this reply from Joyce Hagar this morning FWIW-----------Thanks for your input.  At this point we are going forward with all the plans we normally do for a Nats.  It is not AMA intention to the cancel the Nationals but we do have to wait and see how the governor handles Muncie’s opening.  I really feel by June everything will be back to whatever the new normal will be.  Stay safe
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2020, 10:17:28 AM »
I might suggest that AMA promise a 100% refund policy in the event The Nat is cancelled.

That way we could go ahead and enter in the hope that the show goes on.

Here in Michigan, our power-crazed governess is so impressed with he self-proclaimed authority, she will NEVER end her "state of emergency".  I hope that Indiana and some of our neighbors take a more rational approach.
Paul Smith

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2020, 10:30:16 AM »
Well Scale for RC and CL just got cancelled.  NOTICE: THE 2020 AMA SCALE NATIONALS BOTH RC AND CL SCALE HAS BEEN CANCELLED. From Mike Barbee: The board members and officers of NASA have unanimously voted and decided to cancel the 2020 Scale R/C & C/L Nationals. This decision was made because of the risk of the Covet 19 virus and time and financial constraints brought on by the virus to competitors and spectators. We believe that this is both a logical and safe decision. We are however still planning on the NASA Scale Classic to be held September 10-13th at AMA. The qualification process for this event will NOT be in effect. Everyone is invited to come out and participate in this season end event. We will keep close watch on Government mandates and recommendations leading up to this time.

Thank you and stay safe and responsible.

Mike Barbee President NASA
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2020, 01:47:11 PM »
So an answer came about the late entry fee:  they pushed it out to June 12th.  Thus,  if they say “go” on the 10th you have two days (and a weekend) to get entered before the late fee is charged...don’t shoot the messenger.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2020, 10:34:23 PM »
thanks Dave. I still haven't heard back from ama
rad racer

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2020, 12:01:41 AM »
  2 days ?

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2020, 06:33:23 AM »
I also was a little surprised .  The answer came in a group email since it appears a number asked the same question.  Scale already backed out and I sense another SIG or two is thinking about it.  ALL the SIGs including ours are hearing from some of our members they likely will stay home even if the Nats goes on because it seems it will still be too much of a risk to take to travel and perhaps get sick-and be hundreds of miles away from home and their support system.  IMAC has suggested the late fees be waived altogether as well as other concessions to the pilots under the circumstances but I would be surprised if that happens.  It seems to me and others that if this comes off,  it will be not representative of any Nats we've seen.  As the states attempt to open some it is obvious we will see another swell in infection, prolonging the issue.  More updates will surely come..........BTW AMA did say that if they cancel ALL fees will be refunded.  It seems they may want to get most the pre-entries in as possible so they can gauge the probable turnout-maybe before they make that final decision.

Dave
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 06:51:32 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2020, 07:39:54 AM »
Thanks for your efforts, Dave, much appreciated!  D>K

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2020, 01:15:40 AM »
  I  agree that you are doing a commendable job Dave.   

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2020, 12:34:00 PM »
Dave already mentioned this but...NATS Registration.. just an FYI I registered Samuel today because Jrs. are free so I figured what the heck get him in early. Yolanda informed me that anyone who registers and pays before the decision date of June 10 will be given for a full refund for all fees if the Nats are cancelled. She said the pre-registration numbers are pretty close to last year at this time, just a little lower. She is encouraging people to pre-register and not wait until the June 10 decision.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2020, 05:35:45 PM »
Mike that's fine with me of course.  It all helps to see where we are going.  I know though many will wait before they get their wallet out and I don't blame them for that either.  This is just, well, all sort of messed up right now to know what to do.   We will just have to see how it plays out but I do encourage any who intend to come to go ahead and get signed up and give all of us some clarity.  You WILL get your money back if they cancel.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2020, 07:37:24 PM »
just  thought I would throw this in. if it is a go, do we know if old time will be on the cow pasture ( just kidding) or the L pad
rad racer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here