News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:09:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2019 NATS: Save Yourself $50.00 !  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
2019 NATS: Save Yourself $50.00 !
« on: June 25, 2019, 06:29:56 PM »
If you have not yet registered for our NATS, I encourage you to do it before close of business this Thursday, June 27. Any registration requests received after this date will incur AN ADDITIONAL $50 LATE FEE PENALTY.

I am looking forward to seeing all of you in a few weeks in Muncie!

Mark Weiss
Event Director

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: 2019 NATS: Save Yourself $50.00 !
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 06:46:22 PM »
If you have not yet registered for our NATS, I encourage you to do it before close of business this Thursday, June 27. Any registration requests received after this date will incur AN ADDITIONAL $50 LATE FEE PENALTY.

I am looking forward to seeing all of you in a few weeks in Muncie!

Unfortunately, I will not be seeing you there, our launch slipped to NET July 12th.

Brett

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 08:02:20 PM »
  Unfortunately, I will not be seeing you there, our launch slipped to NET July 12th.

Brett
Which launch is this , Brett?

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 09:41:25 AM »
Brett,

I am sorry to hear that news. I hope it all goes well and you will be able to come back next year.

Mark Weiss

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 11:36:39 AM »

Brett

I hate to hear this. I assume sending your plane with someone, and flying out in time for officials isn't an option.

Derek

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 05:30:35 PM »
Nats registration is not trivial, at least for Juniors. Last week I spent several days trying to register my 13-yr old by phone, as someone suggested here. No luck. Messages not returned, and the right people are not available.
Online registration is not available for Juniors (why?..)
I sent in a printed form last Saturday. As of today, his name is still not showing up on the participant list.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 08:46:14 PM »
Which launch is this , Brett?

https://spaceflightnow.com/tag/aehf-5/

The possibilities are that it goes off on time, in which case I will be occupied for about 10 days before it would be conceivable to leave, it slips (a few days at a time) which puts it right in the middle of the NATs. It could of course slip a few days at a time until after, but I can't count on that. It might blow up on July the 12th, a which point I would have to be about halfway across Nebraska to make a normal schedule.

This was a barely-workable plan when the launch was going off on the 27th, hard to see if it went off on the 28th, but NET July 12? No chance. Sad thing is, the airplane was going to be ready in adequate time to get some test flights, it could have been in clear on July 2nd, fly the weekend of the 7th, rub out 8/9/10, jump in the car at 5 AM on the 11th. Same schedule as 2006, more-or-less.

The problem (as the link above notes) is a battery on the upper stage (Centaur). In other cases, they may have risked it, but ours is an "extended" mission that holds on to the spacecraft until it gets all the way to geosynchronous, then uses up all its remaining fuel to boost the perigee. This is different from their standard mission, which only goes for about 45 minutes. Since it runs strictly on batteries, they won't take any chances for fear of having the batteries deplete before it gets there, which would be catastrophic to the mission.

Brett

p.s. This is it, getting put in the shipping container. My office is about 150 feet away, right down the middle of the picture.

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »
Nats registration is not trivial, at least for Juniors. Last week I spent several days trying to register my 13-yr old by phone, as someone suggested here. No luck. Messages not returned, and the right people are not available.
Online registration is not available for Juniors (why?..)
I sent in a printed form last Saturday. As of today, his name is still not showing up on the participant list.

When I spoke with Yolonda to sign up Ben for Senior she said we had to do that on site.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 10:56:14 PM »
Apropos of nothing, an exploding whale video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=140&v=KYlibBKTZak

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 04:21:16 PM »
Apropos of nothing, an exploding whale video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=140&v=KYlibBKTZak
I've seen this before. It just leaves me shaking my head. Who actually thought that this would work? Even if it were to vaporize the whale, which anyone with any understanding knows it would not do, all of the tiny particles would settle somewhere...

But it is indeed funny to look back on.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here