News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2019 NATS !!  (Read 8333 times)

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
2019 NATS !!
« on: January 16, 2019, 06:51:22 PM »
July 14 - July 20, 2019 are the dates for our National Contest at AMA HQ in Muncie. While it seems like a long way off, it is time for many of us to start planning and making decisions about our summer schedules. So, I thought this would be a good time to start this thread and keep it updated for the next six months. Why you ask? Because yours truly is the Event Director this year! Wait, come back! Derek Barry has volunteered to be the Asst ED and I also feel very fortunate to have Mark Overmier return to be Head Judge once again.

I will still be the CD at Triple Tree for Joe Nall Week and assist Will Davis at Brodak , just like last year. While I love those two events, overseeing CL Stunt at the NATS is both an honor and a serious responsibility. So, I wanted to share a few things with you:

1. This is our National Event. I think it should be supported in kind. Yes, Muncie is not just around the corner from our homes but there is no perfect location. I am asking you now and will again and again to please seriously consider joining us this July around the L Pad for  friendship and competition at the highest levels. And Derek, Mark O. and I and all the other volunteers will do everything we possibly can to make your visit well worth your travel and time.

2.  This is a bid deal and as such it takes the dedication of a bunch of folks willing to be in the background so that the pilots can be in the foreground and be treated to a great contest and a really good time. Derek, Mark, and I are already looking for experienced judges as well as volunteers to work in the tabulation of the scores, pit bosses, runners, and ED's for Beginner, Intermediate, and Classic events. I am hoping that the folks who have done such a terrific job in the past will come back and help out again this summer.

3. We also will be looking for those who are in the position to help us fund all the trophies pilots strive to win at the Nats.

So, first we want a record number of pilots to come, have fun, and compete for our National Honors. Second, we need judges and the other volunteers to ensure these folks are treated very very well. And finally, help acquiring the hardware, the trophies for all those who qualify.

Please contact me if you are planning to attend and in what capacity: pilot, guest, judge, other volunteer, whatever.
You can also reach out to me, Mark O or Derek.

Mark Overmier: zorkahn@uillinois.edu; Derek Barry: derk2121@hotmail.com; Mark Weiss: ama82824@yahoo.com

Thank you all so much.
Mark W

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: 2019 NATS !!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 10:33:19 AM »
There are  couple of non-flying issues that Derek and I could really use your feedback, and as soon as possible.
PAMPA Banquet. I don't have the onsite experience that most of you do but I believe a traditional banquet is pricey and with decreasing numbers in attendance. We did not have one last year. My most recent was with Dennis at the helm.

Derek and I thought we could have a more relaxed version to be held at the L Pad. This could be a catered cookout around dinner time later in the week. We could possibly get lucky and also reserve space at AMA HQ in case of rain. So, if this is something that has some appeal, please let us know for it will take some work to get it arranged and to determine the cost. If we do go ahead, it is with the anticipation that the turnout will be very high. Otherwise, I question doing it at all.

On Site Food Vendor.
I think this one is easier to get a positive vote! We are trying to find a group, like the scouts, to provide food at the L Pad from morning until early afternoon. Any thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks, Mark

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 09:09:04 AM »
        I think it would be a good thing to do Mark and Derek. Ideally to have it after the finals, so the top finishers could be honored, but it seems that most are heading out that day, and many leave the day before. So I guess the next best thing to do would be Thursday evening. Hosting it at the L-PAD would be convenient for the competitors who like to practice till dark, and using the headquarters museum as rain back-up, or even simply doing it at the headquarters museum.
            Doug

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 07:07:43 PM »
Thank you Doug! I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. We hope more folks will chime in, so we can get a sense of a popular decision. Nothing is worse than apathy, well except my stunt pattern!

Mark

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 05:27:02 AM »
Mark I think it's worth a try.  I'd think it has to cost less than a full blown banquet and shouldn’t cause anyone concern about practice time.  It's surely not as comfortable for the gals to be outside nor can there be alcohol for those who would want but it beats having nothing.  The only other reasonable choice could be an OPENING banquet-say Monday night after the meeting.  That shouldn't be a pressure on much else at that point.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:48:54 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 07:56:00 PM »
Thank you Dave. Monday evening is something that had not been considered. I will talk to Derek and hope to get more responses on this issue.
Thank you for taking the time,

Mark

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 06:43:28 PM »
Mark could you please direct me to a schedule of events and on what days they are flown please? The AMA calendar only lists CL as being the week of 7/14 to 7/20 but not which events on which days for stunt. I can find combat and scale but not stunt. Thanks
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 04:46:58 PM »
I just got word from AMA that online registration for our Nats this coming July is now live!

http://shop.modelaircraft.org/dept.aspx?id=05db47b0-8a08-4624-8db8-3228874d

Please make plans to attend our contest at Muncie.
In responding to Mike's request above, I will post this year's schedule.

C'mon to Muncie!

Thanks, Mark

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 06:34:30 PM »
Here is the schedule for the unofficial AMA CL events:

Control Line – July 14-20, 2019
ALL SIG EVENT FEES WILL BE COLLECTED ON SITE
Sunday, July, 14
□ Beginner Stunt
□ Intermediate Stunt
Monday, July 15
□ NCLRA Quickie Rat
□ NCLRA Super Rat/Fox Racing
(combined)
Tuesday, July 16
□ NCLRA Clown Race
□ DMAA Sportsman Goodyear
□ Old Time Stunt
□ Classic Nostalgia 30
□ Classic Stunt
□ Sportsman Profile Carrier**
 (Gas and Electric combined)
** Contestants entering Sportsman
Profile Carrier may not enter 321
Profile Carrier or 342 Electric Profile
Carrier
Wednesday, July 17
□ NASS Perky OTS
□ NASS Fox Speed
□ NCLRA Super Slow Rat
□ NASS 21 Profile Proto
□ Nass Record Ratio Speed
Thursday, July 18
□ NASS Sport Jet
□ Nostalgia Profile Carrier
□ Nostalgia Class I Carrier
□ Nostalgia Class II Carrier
□ NCS .15 Carrier Expert*
□ NCS .15 Carrier Sportsman*
□ Skyray .35 Carrier
Friday, July 19
□ NASS C Speed
*Contestants may enter either .15
Carrier Expert or .15 Carrier
Sportsman but not both

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »
Here is the schedule for the Official Nats CL events:

Control Line – July 14-20, 2019
Jr/Sr: Free
Adult: basic registration fee plus $10 per event
CLPA events basic registration fee plus $45**
If paying after June 27, 2019 please include $50 late fee
NO refunds after June 27, 2019
NO registration after 5 pm July 15, 2019 for CL Navy
Carrier events
Saturday – Sunday , July 13-14
□ 331 F2D Combat (JSA)
Monday, July 15
□ 301 ˝ A Speed (JS)(A)
□ 305 ˝ A Profile Proto (JS)(A)
□ 313 ˝ A Mouse I (JSA)
□ 318 F2C Team Race(A)
□ 328A F2D Fast Combat (JSA) ^^
Tuesday, July 16
□ 307 21 Sport Speed (J S)(A)
□ 310 F2A Speed (JS)(A)
□ 312 Slow Rat Race (JSA)
□ 317 Scale Race (JSA)
□ 321 Profile Carrier (JSA)**
□ 329 Speed Limit Combat (JSA)***
□ 342 Electric Profile Carrier (JSA)**
Wednesday, July 17
□ 319 Carrier I (JSA)
□ 320 Carrier II (JSA)
□ 322 Precision Aerobatics(J)(S)(A)*
□ 325 Advanced Aerobatics (JSA)*
□ 330 ˝ A Combat (JSA)
□ 340 Electric Carrier I (JSA)
□ 341 Electric Carrier II (JSA) □ 308
Formula 40 Speed (S)(A)
Thursday, July 18
□ 328 Fast Combat
(JSA) ^
□ 302 A Speed (JS)(A)
□ 303 B Speed (JS)(A)
Friday, July 19
□ 304 D Speed (SA)
□ 309 Jet Speed (SA)
Saturday, July 20
Walker Cup Flyoff
* Adult Competitors can
enter only 1 – NOT BOTH
events; Sr. & Jr. may
enter one or both
** Contestants entering
Sportman Profile Carrier
may not enter events 321
or 342
***329 75mph speed limit
with no airframe
limitations
^ 328A will be flown
using current AMA rules
^^328A will be flown with
F2D equipment & 2010 or
later and AMA 328 match
and scoring rules

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 07:05:49 PM »
I didn't notice appearance judging on the schedule. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 07:48:46 PM »
Apparently we're not having c/l scale this year?
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
Let's see if I can get a handle (no pun) on this.

1. I took the information/schedule right off the official entry forms just put out by AMA. I will call on AMA on Monday to go over this. I spent art of today with them at the AMA East Show in NJ.

Howard, this was only for event dates and times. It was not intended to show each element of what we do around the L PAd. I will get that out too!  Again, I will get revised into.

2. I did not enter the scale info as I am the Stunt ED and was focused on those events. Sorry Will. I will post this too.

2. I wish everyone was so quick to volunteer!.....Oh that's right, that is my job.

I will get it right as soon as I can.

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 07:47:23 PM »
On a lighter note, and let's see if I can get this one right......

I attended the AMA Expo East and talked with AMA's Chad Budreau (ED) and Joyce Hagar. I asked about the repairs to the L Pad. They told me it was going to be resurfaced and the work would begin in early April and completed before July. Personally, I was concerned the contractor was going to try and just repair the cracks and that could have easily yielded a worse situation.

I believe this is very good news!

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 07:51:02 PM »
Mike,

The Nats has a lot of Event Directors during each Nats Championships. I am the CL Stunt ED. Combat has their own ED. I will call on Monday and see if AMA can make the necessary corrections. I will get back to you.

Mark

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 08:18:33 PM »
Will,

Here is the CL Scale information from the AMA Official Event Entry form. Sorry I did not get this out earlier...

Control Line July 12-14, 2019
Jr/Sr: Free any number of events Adult: $50 basic registration fee plus $30 each event Banquet $25 MUST be purchased in advance If paying after June 15, 2019 please include a $50 late fee. NO refunds after June 23, 2019

Control Line Scale

□ 509 CL Sport Scale (JS)(A)
□ 527*CL Team Scale
□ 521 CL Profile Scale (JS)(A)
□ 528 Authentic Scale (JSA)
□ 526 CL Fun Scale (JSA)
□ 529 CL ˝ A Scale (JSA) .
Control Line Scale static judging will be held in the Claude McCullough Room (adjacent to museum)

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 08:21:19 AM »
Thank you Mark, since I'm judging it's good to have this this far in advance!

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 12:27:26 PM »
Will,

Thank you for judging this year and for your note. Very nice of you on both accounts...

Mark

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
2019 NATS: A Guide for the First Timer going to Muncie!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 09:59:47 PM »
A wise friend of mine told me that his first year arriving at the Nats was filled with anxiety as he did not know where to go or what to do. I have been in that situation many times along with my antacid tablets. So, I am starting this thread as a “Guide to First Timers going to Muncie” in July for your National Championship. I will post new information along the way followed by corrections readers find along the way. After all, I am only the Event Director, not someone who should know exactly what goes on! Right?

Our week for C/L Stunt and Precision Aerobatics is officially July 15-20, 2019. It is held at the AMA HQ in Muncie, Indiana.  Before leaving your home to travel, please pre-register. Go online to AMA and register. This makes the administration of our events so much easier and less frantic. Trust me. When you arrive on the site, park your car at AMA HQ and go inside to get your registration packet.

You will here folks refer to the L Pad. I thought that was a cheap hotel! But no, it is the paved area where we fly the Advanced and Open competitions. It is “L” shaped, has more parking than we could ever need, and has a pavilion where we proudly show the PAMPA banner! There is plenty of room there for shelters and observers. There you will also find the folks who do all the tabulating and posting of scores.

Here is an idea of the week for those entering CLPA in the JSA classes (Jr, Sr, and Adult).  Please pay particular attention to the schedule on Monday for it is critical. Monday afternoon requires each pilot to pack their airplane and bring it off site for Appearance Judging.

Monday, July 15
Time                  Event
7:00am      CLPA practice on L Pad and grass circles (not being used for other CL stunt events)
12:00 noon: Jr/Sr/Open and Advanced entries close
2:30pm  Open and Advanced models are presented for weighing and appearance judging at the “180 Building”, an offsite location close to AMA.[/b]
3:00pm      While airplanes are being judged, there is a pilots meeting, same building
4:30pm      At the conclusion of the pilots meeting and Appearance Judging, all pilots go to the large room where the judging is done and pilots
                   vote for their choice for the Concours Award. The trophy is presented as soon as the ballots are counted.
Tuesday, July 16
Time   Event
7:00am   CLPA practice on L Pad and grass circles (not being used for other CL stunt events)

Wednesday, July 17
Time                               Event
7:00am   CLPA practice on L Pad and grass circles (not being used for other CL stunt events)
8:00am   Open and Advanced Qualifications, Rounds 1 and 2, on the L Pad

Thursday, July 18
Time                              Event
8:00am   Open and Advanced Qualifications, Rounds 3 and 4, on the L Pad

Friday, July 19
Time                             Event
8:00am   Open Semi Finals, aka Top 20
8:00am   Advanced Finals

Saturday, July 20
Time                             Event
8:00am   Open Finals, Top 5 Pilots. L Pad circle of choice
12:00 noon   Walker Cup Fly Off (winners in Jr, Sr, and Open);  Presentation of Awards

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: 2019 NATS: A Guide for the First Timer going to Muncie!
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 06:14:09 AM »
Thanks for this Mark. I'll be staying tuned!

Best,
Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Deric Herrmann

• Ensign
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 06:58:51 AM »
Thanks Mark, great information.

Greatly appreciated,

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 09:02:42 AM »
The 180 building is on North Broadway Ave off of McGalliard.  Maybe the attached map will help.

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 09:31:34 AM »
Ty,

This was my first edition so folks had a good overall idea of what goes on. I will provide all the necessary details shortly.
I think Abe Lincoln said, "You can never please all of the people all of the time." Please be patient with me.

Thanks!
Mark

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 12:09:04 PM »
Here is the information regarding the offsite location where Appearance Judging and the Pilots Meeting is conducted, beginning Monday, July 15 at 2:30pm (again, only for Advanced and Open pilots, CLPA competition on Wed - Sat)

We all call it the 180 Building. In reality it is the:

Oneighty Muncie
4622 N. Broadway Avenue
Muncie, Indiana 47303

Oneighty Muncie is a large Religious Center/Methodist Church. It has a very good presence on FB, Oneighty Muncie. You can also find it on the web at: www.180Muncie.com.

There you will find a map ad driving directions. It is set back off N. Broadway as the map will depict.

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: 2019 NATS !! Casual PAMPA Dinner
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2019, 10:04:58 PM »
Somewhere up this thread are some comments about reviving the PAMPA dinner/banquet but in a far more casual manner. I am proposing that on Thursday early evening, we all meet at the L Pad for a casual dinner put on by a local restaurant or company that does cookouts/barbecues. I got the names of two potential vendors, one of which is Texas Road House. The other is a smaller company that does barbecue on site. We also need to ensure the vendor has other food choices for those who do not eat meat.

I would like to have some more feedback, for at some point a vendor is going to want numbers and a guarantee. I know a lot of folks will be practicing that evening for the Advanced Finals and the Open Semifinals, Top 20. It seems to me those flyers get to the L Pad around 7 and fly until dark or they are tired and quit.

Let me know your thoughts now. These things take time to set up, get tables, and have it done right. I am looking for good food, good company, fun, a casual wear anything you like atmosphere and talk about our organization and anything else. Kids and everyone else would be invited.

And yes, it could rain. I am looking into rooms large enough on site at AMA in case the heavens open up.

As Frazier Crane always said, "Go ahead, I am listening."

Offline the original Steve Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Fly Stunt!
Re: 2019 NATS !! Casual PAMPA Dinner
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 12:19:28 PM »
Somewhere up this thread are some comments about reviving the PAMPA dinner/banquet but in a far more casual manner. I am proposing that on Thursday early evening, we all meet at the L Pad for a casual dinner put on by a local restaurant or company that does cookouts/barbecues. I got the names of two potential vendors, one of which is Texas Road House. The other is a smaller company that does barbecue on site. We also need to ensure the vendor has other food choices for those who do not eat meat.

I would like to have some more feedback, for at some point a vendor is going to want numbers and a guarantee. I know a lot of folks will be practicing that evening for the Advanced Finals and the Open Semifinals, Top 20. It seems to me those flyers get to the L Pad around 7 and fly until dark or they are tired and quit.

Let me know your thoughts now. These things take time to set up, get tables, and have it done right. I am looking for good food, good company, fun, a casual wear anything you like atmosphere and talk about our organization and anything else. Kids and everyone else would be invited.

And yes, it could rain. I am looking into rooms large enough on site at AMA in case the heavens open up.

As Frazier Crane always said, "Go ahead, I am listening."

Mark, I think Thursday night, casual BBQ dinner at the Pavilion next to the L-Pad is a great idea.  Let me know if you will need any help setting it up or tearing it down, I will be judging so I will be available.

Steve Smith
Thanks,
the original Steve Smith
AMA 2112

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 10:16:35 PM »
THANK YOU STEVE FOR POSTING AND VOLUNTEERING TO HELP. I AM WORKING ON THIS AND THURSDAY NIGHT LOOKS LIKE A KEEPER. I AM TRYING TO DECIDE WHETHER TO HAVE IT AT THE PAVILION AND HOPE THE WEATHER COOPERATES OR RESERVE SPACE INSIDE AT THE MUSEUM.

I WILL POST MORE INFO IN THE NEXT WEEK TO 10 DAYS.

MARK

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 02:09:24 PM »
I think Steve hit on something with "casual BBQ". Instead of trying to have it catered, maybe we can find someone to loan us one large grill, or a couple smaller ones. It could be as simple as burgers and hot dogs, or we could do Steak and chicken. Sides can be purchased ahead of time... I guess we should probably drop the PAMPA Banquet title and call it the PAMPA cookout.

Derek

Offline the original Steve Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Fly Stunt!
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 09:59:58 PM »
Derek,

Yah, PAMPA cookout sounds great if we can get the equipment.  Burgers, hot dogs, brats, chicken, whatever we can get!  A big pot of beans and some store bought coleslaw, some buns and we got it!  Pavilion at L-pad and the building at HQ as a backup.  Let me know what I can do!  I can cook but not very good at planning.
Thanks,
the original Steve Smith
AMA 2112

Offline Dave Edwards

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2019, 06:09:09 PM »
The combat dates are wrong!!! here is a flier with the correct dates - note the TT are the weekend before and the Nats run Monday thru Sat. I sm working to get this corrected on the AMA reg pages.

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 09:00:47 PM »
Thank you Dave. Mike L. also let me know.

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2019, 03:36:44 PM »
Does the shelter by the L pad have electric outlets ( with enough current ratiing to charge batteries)?

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2019, 03:57:41 PM »
Yes...but might have to get in line at times. A wise man brings a quiver full of arrows..........

Dave
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:18:28 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 02:34:45 PM »
Mark,

This will be my first Nats attendance and I plan on flying Beginner Stunt on Sunday.  Motel is booked.

I couldn't find the time schedule for the 2019 daily events on the AMA site.    However, I did find the time schedule for the Sunday events from the 2018 Nats.

2018 Control Line Aerobatics National Championships
July 8-14, 2018
Friday, July 6 -Saturday July 7
After FF Control Line Precision Aerobatics Practice L-Pad, Grass Circles
Sunday, July 8
7:00 a.m. Control Line Precision Aerobatics Practice L-Pad, Grass Circles
8:00 a.m. Beginner & Intermediate Stunt Registration* Grass Circles
8:30 a.m. Beginner & Intermediate Stunt Pilots Meeting* Grass Circles
9:00 a.m. Beginner & Intermediate Stunt Event* Grass Circles
12:00 noon Old Time and Classic Stunt Registration* Grass Circles

I would imagine the times/details are the same this year as last year, but I wanted to confirm it with you if I could.

Also, I'll be arriving Saturday afternoon (July 13).  Are we allowed to use the grass circles to practice on Saturday?

I'm confused about what fees I'll need to pay for registration.  The registration forms on the AMA website indicate that the Beginners' Stunt event is an Unofficial Event and the fee for unofficial events is $10.00 if I am not registered in an AMA official event.  I won't be entering any official AMA events.  I would imagine that I have to pay the Basic Registration Fee of $50.00 in addition to the unofficial events fee of $10.00.  Is that correct?  Also, the registration form for AMA official events says in the CL box on the second page: "CLPA events basic registration fee plus $45.00."  What is CLPA?  Do I need to pay that CLPA fee of $45.00?

Thanks,
Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, MO
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:57:52 PM by Joe Ed Pederson »

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2019, 02:23:42 PM »

Also, I'll be arriving Saturday afternoon (July 13).  Are we allowed to use the grass circles to practice on Saturday?

I'm confused about what fees I'll need to pay for registration.  The registration forms on the AMA website indicate that the Beginners' Stunt event is an Unofficial Event and the fee for unofficial events is $10.00 if I am not registered in an AMA official event.  I won't be entering any official AMA events.  I would imagine that I have to pay the Basic Registration Fee of $50.00 in addition to the unofficial events fee of $10.00.  Is that correct?  Also, the registration form for AMA official events says in the CL box on the second page: "CLPA events basic registration fee plus $45.00."  What is CLPA?  Do I need to pay that CLPA fee of $45.00?

Thanks,
Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, MO

Yes, you can use the grass circles on Saturday.

For unofficial events You just register and pay on site before the event. You do not need to pay for the for anything other than the $10 entry fee.

CLPA is Control Line Precision Aerobatics

Derek

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 11:06:08 AM »
You do have to register/check in at the NATS HQ, which used to be the farm house, in order to fly unofficial events. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 03:00:52 PM »
Last year we checked in at the headquarters building main entrance.

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Trophies for our NATS
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2019, 12:28:20 PM »
The AMA provides some of the Trophies that we present to the top qualifiers in both the unofficial and official CL stunt events each year. It has become a long standing tradition that our SIG, PAMPA, awards trophies beyond what is officially supported by the AMA. In some events, we provide all the trophies while in other events we go much deeper than AMA recognizing the great accomplishments of many more folks.

To accomplish all this, we ask for donations each year to cover these important and warranted awards. So, as the Event Director this year, I am the official beggar. That is probably the wrong word but you know what I mean.

Each year, your support has made the acquisition and presentation of these trophies possible and so meaningful to those who have earned them through their building, finishing, and flying skills.

These donations can be category specific or you can let us make those decisions. You can also decide if you would like your name as the sponsor on each trophy or another designation.

If you can help, please get back to me.The amount that anyone contributes is private and not shared. You can also call me if you would prefer. I live in Delaware, eastern standard time. My phone is (302)547-4917. Thank you! Mark

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Trophies for our NATS
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2019, 02:20:39 PM »
Mark I'm sure the Philly Fliers can help out .I'll talk with the guys and see what we can come up with.Cheers,PhillySkip

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 05:19:12 PM »
Thank you Skipper! Sorry I missed our last club meeting. I thought it was that Monday. I will make the next one and thank you again for helping us out at the Nats this year! A few grand should be plenty!  ;D

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2019, 11:41:13 AM »
Mark..We always contribute

Link to paypal?
Go fund me?
snail mail check address?

Know you are tagged...but a hint...make it VERY easy for contributors

Fred

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2019, 08:30:29 PM »
Here is an email I received today from Yolanda Jones at AMA:

Yolanda Jones <yolandaj@modelaircraft.org>

Mar 26 at 8:12 PM

Dont forget online registration is open please direct your group to visit http://shop.modelaircraft.org/nats2019 to register online.
Thanks
Yolanda
....................................................................................

It really makes the entire administration of the NATS so much easier when contestants register early and online. As your Event Director, I am all about anything that makes this a little easier. Thank you. Mark

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2019, 08:44:01 PM »
Fred, that is great advice and much appreciated. My plan is to have checks made payable to me and sent to my home address. For each one I receive, I will send a confirmation email and a receipt. I will make my check payable to AMA or PAMPA, whichever PAMPA prefers. I will maintain an accurate and up to date accounting of all donations and the related expenditures.

I personally use PayPal but then the money gets commingled. And we lose a little bit in the transaction fees.

If someone has no other way but PayPal, here is my PayPal email: ama82824@yahoo.com

So, if you and others could, please send me check in whatever amount you like made out to me and write on the check "Donation for Trophies 2019 CL Stunt Nats." If you would like your name on a trophy, let me know or if you prefer some other inscription. If you would prefer calling me to discuss, my mobile is (302)547-4917. We are on eastern standard time.

I will make copies of all checks.

Mark Weiss, Event Director
206 Steeplechase Circle
Wilmington, DE 19808

AMA District IV AVP

Fred, thanks again for your insights and generosity.....Mark

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2019, 10:12:57 PM »
i want to thank all of you who have contacted me to make donations for our trophies for this coming Nats! It is heartwarming to receive these calls and messages from a wide variety of generous folks.

If everyone comes through and provides the amounts they have promised, we are home! How cool is that!

Now, I understand someone suggested a large amount of money should be given to the event director for his time and efforts. Hmmm. I appreciate the resulting ground swell, but, I humbly must decline. Anyway, that many pennies would be hard to pack!

;) ;) ;)

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2019, 03:10:26 PM »
Here are the important dates regarding CLPA stunt registration for the Nats:

June 27: last day to pay published registration fees; final day for refunds
June 28: $50 late registration fee imposed; no refunds on or after this date
July 15 after 5PM: registration CLOSED

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2019, 03:26:43 PM »
Decision Regarding Casual Dinner on Site

Derek and I have been kicking this around for several months. While we both think having an onsite casual dinner at the L Pad has much appeal, there are some concerns. The weather changes very quickly, especially when storms pop up. There is no perfect day or time as folks are always coming and going as well as those wanting last chance practice for the next days rounds. Finally, planning and executing the dinner does not happen on its own.

I believe it will take a volunteer whose sole responsibility will be the planning and advertising of this dinner. The work must begin many months before the next NATS in 2020. Therefore, we have decided not to offer a dinner this year. We are spending our time to help ensure we provide the participants a great contest.

Thanks!

Mark

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2019, 01:02:29 AM »
Is the L pad available for practice Saturday and Sunday?  I looked for this information, but not too hard.

Are the grass circles underwater?  I read that it's been raining in the Midwest.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2019, 05:05:49 AM »
Howard I called Yolanda a couple weeks ago to see about that.  She said the LPad is open and available for the entire week prior, just like last year.  I don't know about the grass water situation.  I will arrive Wednesday afternoon and report.  They did say a couple weeks ago it was too wet at that time to roll.....even if their roller wasn't broke.  They agreed to rent one if they had to, if the ground was solid enough to roll.  We are also hoping the new wooden circle centers are complete.  They had let that slip through the cracks up until a couple weeks ago..........

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2019, 09:01:14 AM »
I can't get on the AMA website.  It times out.  How can I enter Advanced?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here