News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:44:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2018 Vector ARF impressions  (Read 2823 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
2018 Vector ARF impressions
« on: January 03, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »
Got the Vectors today!
#1 Amazing BOX! I guess John got tired of claims as these are strong enough that I can stand on them and not crush anything
#2 Packaging is nifty! Separate sealed plastic bags for everything....and then taped to the box to prevent moving around
#3 The film APPEARS to be of better quality than past examples...I will iron mine and watch
#4 There appears to be an extensive effort to lighten throughout...fuselage sides are cut out ala Nobler, the nose area has lightening efforts.
#5 I believe that the hardware is metric (I'm not a big fan) and that the "blind nuts" that hold the gear and cowl are NOT threaded....apparently the screws cut their own threads? I'll check this
#6 The bellcrank (a SIG 4"?!?) appears to be well mounted (the wings are two piece) and the leadouts appear to be better crimped than past Chinese efforts
#7 There is no provision for aluminum engine pads...
#8 The bellcrank to flap pushrod is metal and uses a "Z" bend at the bellcrank and a ball link at the horn...I'll probably replace this, as this application cries out for two ball links

I will weigh components as I assemble and include pics...I plan LA 46's for power

Have fun!

So far it appears to be the best and most complete ARF I have seen.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 2018 Vector ARF impressions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 11:43:23 AM »
Excellent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »
Turns out the blind nuts ARE threaded....with Chinese threads

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 03:38:58 PM »
Now if they would just start shipping the electric version...
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 04:03:02 PM »
Sounds great. I can hardly wait to get mine. How long ago did you order yours?  Did you order from Randy or from Brodak directly?
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 05:44:46 PM »
Doug
I think you would be better served ordering from Randy.
The 4" bellcrank is a Brodak product NOT SIG as I thought.

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 09:26:33 PM »
The ball links are supper smooth, the nicest I seen. The wing is straight, and match perfect. The only thing that I would do is use the middle hole in the Bell crank.you will have to cut the piece of wood out of the way.  It was a real pain changing it after it's built. This is for the Electric one, using the 3500 battery. I don't know how the IC will balance. This is about the same as on the plans for the starris. Only thing I had to do was to sand the piece the glues on above the elevator. I think everyone is going to like these.  Steve

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 11:01:53 PM »
Sounds great. I can hardly wait to get mine. How long ago did you order yours?  Did you order from Randy or from Brodak directly?

Hi Doug  yours will  be  shipping  soon, we  had a ton of orders  and had the delay of printing  books

Randy

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 05:48:58 AM »
The engine compartment seems awfully tight....a bit of Dremel work needed
the stirrups at the bellcrank will be "squeezed" a bit, and as an additional measure I will dollop some epoxy on them at both ends
Instead of a glue on block on top of the engine beams to allow installation of blind nuts to hold the engine in place, holes are opened above the blind nut locations. I think I'll try to carve a rectangle of the film and reglue it after I install the blind nuts.

More later

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 09:02:54 AM »
A couple more showing the structure and efforts to lighten it.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 06:36:59 PM »
The ARF also includes those Tyvek(?) type hinges.......has anyone used them successfully?

The fit seems superb on all components..... 

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 07:04:12 PM »
The engine compartment on mine is too short to fit anything with a longer shaft than a Fox 35 or Brodak 40.  I'm going to extend to nose ring on mine simply because I had planed to use a RO Jett 40SE.  Shaft is 3/8 in too long to fit but I'm determined.  That will also allow me to use at least 1/16 thick aluminum pads.  It would have been nice however if the design has simply allowed for a little more room ahead of the firewall.  Also mine has no filler blocks between the engine mounts and I consider that a necessity to dampen vibration for IC engines.  It will be easy however to simply add some cross grain balsa between the mounts.  It would have been easier however to do it during construction.

Overall I believe the design and construction of these latest from Brodak and Randy Smith are a giant leap ahead of past efforts.  The construction is very well planned and all the parts are lazer cut and the wings, stab, and fuselage all appear to be Jig built and very straight aerodynamically.   Construction appears to be light and strong in the right places for the most part also.

Randy Cuberly   
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 07:21:35 PM »
I also have one of the SV11 ARFS but have fighting a miserable cold the past week or more and haven't been able to spend much time in the Shop.  My initial impressions of it were very good with the general construction techniques and Jig construction being very much the same as the Vector.  It's of course larger and less cramped for space and the general layout appears to be excellent.  I actually intend to build it first and get it flying very soon to use as a practice airplane to get back in shape for competition.  The SV11 is an excellent design that is capable of flying with any competition.  I've had two in the past and this latest version should be even better.

This one will have a RO Jett 67 installed.  I've been looking forward to getting that engine flying for some time!  This should be the perfect airplane!

I'm also currently building an SV11 from a foam wing and plans also.  Hopefully it will be my competition airplane this next year!  Power plant is still up for grabs.  Possibly a PA75, or PA 65.

Randy Cuberly

Just have to get past the coughing, sneezing, and wheezing and get to it!  Soon I hope!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 07:30:44 PM »
Randy is correct about the cross bracing...I will do something about it.
I may carve F1 out and back it up 1/4" or so, as the test fitted LA has no backing plate or screws....
I will probably leave the bellcrank to flap horn deal with the "Z" bend, but may sleeve it with a piece of carbon fiber tube. The jury is still out on the Tyvek hinges....
The Yankee invasion to FL brought an onset of "crud"...worse than a cold and long lasting.

75" on Monday and I have a boat reserved....

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 07:40:02 PM »
Can you show the Tyvek hinges?
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 08:06:58 PM »
On the ARC version the nose block above the engine beams is not glued which allows easy blind nut and engine installation.

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 08:17:44 PM »
Don't use the hinges

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 07:02:28 AM »
I am going to use conventional "Klett" type hinges at the behest of several....
The flaps have "conventional"45* (or so) angles leading to a straight line in the center....easy enough and what I use when scratch building.
Interestingly, the stab and elevators have rounded edges where they butt....similar to what I would use if I planned cloth hinges. These pose a bit of a problem, though not much.

The wood, however, seems like pine or a hardwood...very difficult to get the slots large enough to fit hinges.

All surfaces are built up and seem both strong (and non-flexing) and light.....I will be curious about the finished weight

I also ordered up a bottle of trim solvent from the MONOKOTE folk...probably should have ordered the two pack given the news of late....

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 09:25:25 AM »
Further test fitting reveals that an LA 46 will fit without modifying F !, but if the Brodak "Nobler" tank is to sit on the formers, the slot for fuel feed must be elongated....no big deal.
The dfuselage appears tapered to a smidgen LESS than 1 3/4"

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 01:54:43 PM »
I got to doing some measuring/test fitting. The engine bearers seem about 1/8" or slightly more) closer together that previous ARFs....I opted to use threaded inserts, as there seems plenty of "meat" available.
I also dug around in my debris field and retrieved a carbon bellcrank to flap horn pushrod with ball links.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here