News:

• June 16, 2024, 02:22:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reverse Wingovers, Triangles, Square 8s and Hourglass Practice..ViDEO  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Been able to get down on the frozen lake in front of my home and get a jump on practice for the up-coming Stunt season.
Decided today to work on a few maneuvers that I feel could use a lot of work. I have been reading up on these stunts, mainly in the Online Judging Clinic on this site.
Last night I read up on the Hourglass and it gave me a ton of insight....http://stunthanger.com/smf/online-judging-clinic/hourglass-13068/
So I went down to try and make them skinnier and to come back further over my head, like a wingover.
Same with Triangles. Always took this maneuver for granted but always hate how it looks on video.
Square 8s are always a challenge but I watched a couple of video clips that Derek Barry filmed of Orestes Hernandez doing some stunts and I saw how he keeps his arm out in front and uses the handle to fly. I, like may others tend to jerk my arm all over the place and today whilst flying was trying to stay focused on arm, fly with handle (not arm jerks), smoother full arm drawing of maneuvers, coming back to center of chest (saw Chris Rudd doing this). Wow....a lot to think about while flying.
Can't get any better if not flying so just logging some time, reviewing video and judging myself.
Always always always work to do in Stunt flying.

I love that about Stunt!

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Reverse Wingovers, Triangles, Square 8s and Hourglass Practice..ViDEO
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 06:11:43 PM »
Very Good ,

we have calculated that if you hang onto a .40 powered Twin , and wear skates , you should do about 80 mph .
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:04:37 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 06:34:26 PM »
Thanks for the video, I am down with the flu and was bored. 

Can you make a video putting the camera on your head like a gopro?  That would be interesting.

Thanks again.   

Oh....I got plenty of that......

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 09:56:26 PM »
Square 8s are always a challenge but I watched a couple of video clips that Derek Barry filmed of Orestes Hernandez doing some stunts and I saw how he keeps his arm out in front and uses the handle to fly. I, like may others tend to jerk my arm all over the place and today whilst flying was trying to stay focused on arm, fly with handle (not arm jerks), smoother full arm drawing of maneuvers, coming back to center of chest (saw Chris Rudd doing this). Wow....a lot to think about while flying

Overall, looking pretty good, you are really starting to get there.

To offer some observations - it looks like the airplane doesn't turn very well outside.  They triangles are pretty good and with a decent shape. The square 8s are acceptably square on the inside parts, but soft, bordering on rounds with flat spots, on outsides. Same with the top of hourglass, which makes it much more difficult to keep the top and bottom the same length. Thats why you are having double trouble on several examples, the third corner is to soft at times that you wind up way over to the left and too low to make a decent down leg.

I am not sure what is causing it. It's possible that it's just you, but based on other examples of very similar issues, probably not. I would suspect that you have some neutral bias in the handle first, and in any case, it would be worth just shifting the neutral towards more down (i.e, lengthen the "up" line or shorten the "down" line) and seeing what happens. But if is seems like you have to use a lot more handle force for down than up, you might want to dial in some down elevator at neutral flap instead. And, as always, if you haven't sealed your hinge lines, do that first!

Your are doing the right sorts of things and making good progress, so, very well done!

Brett

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:36:01 PM »
   Overall, looking pretty good, you are really starting to get there.

To offer some observations - it looks like the airplane doesn't turn very well outside.  They triangles are pretty good and with a decent shape. The square 8s are acceptably square on the inside parts, but soft, bordering on rounds with flat spots, on outsides. Same with the top of hourglass, which makes it much more difficult to keep the top and bottom the same length. Thats why you are having double trouble on several examples, the third corner is to soft at times that you wind up way over to the left and too low to make a decent down leg.

I am not sure what is causing it. It's possible that it's just you, but based on other examples of very similar issues, probably not. I would suspect that you have some neutral bias in the handle first, and in any case, it would be worth just shifting the neutral towards more down (i.e, lengthen the "up" line or shorten the "down" line) and seeing what happens. But if is seems like you have to use a lot more handle force for down than up, you might want to dial in some down elevator at neutral flap instead. And, as always, if you haven't sealed your hinge lines, do that first!

Your are doing the right sorts of things and making good progress, so, very well done!

Brett
Thanks for taking the time to watch and critique me Brett. This is great getting some notes from one of the big shooterer in Stunt. That what is right good about these forums.
I think a lot of it is just me on the outside squares...needing to just get more comfortable there and trust the plane and my so called skills. Feeling it is coming.
Also, I will take your trim advice to heart and give that a go. Seems logical. Starting with lengthen the up line. I have some Hello Kitty clips so can do that. Will go from there.
Used to be just getting through the hourglass without a fail made me happy. Now I can see the shape and my mistakes. Really a hard one to get correct but I am enjoying chipping away at it. So much to do in Stunt that it amazes me.
Much appreciated.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 11:22:26 PM »
Also, I will take your trim advice to heart and give that a go. Seems logical. Starting with lengthen the up line. I have some Hello Kitty clips so can do that. Will go from there.
Used to be just getting through the hourglass without a fail made me happy. Now I can see the shape and my mistakes. Really a hard one to get correct but I am enjoying chipping away at it. So much to do in Stunt that it amazes me.

That's why people stick with it for decades. It's relatively easy to just fly, and even to just make it through patterns, but it's essentially impossible to perfect it, so you never run out of challenges. Even the very best pilots on their very best flights make lots of obvious mistakes (if you know what to look for). I can't speak for anyone else, but the better I get at this, the easier it is to see the mistakes, particular my own.

I learn something at almost every flying session or workshop session, and after close to *50 years* of doing this, and 36 years of active stunt competition, that's a lot of flying sessions.

Brett

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 11:35:54 PM »
    That's why people stick with it for decades. It's relatively easy to just fly, and even to just make it through patterns, but it's essentially impossible to perfect it, so you never run out of challenges. Even the very best pilots on their very best flights make lots of obvious mistakes (if you know what to look for). I can't speak for anyone else, but the better I get at this, the easier it is to see the mistakes, particular my own.

I learn something at almost every flying session or workshop session, and after close to *50 years* of doing this, and 36 years of active stunt competition, that's a lot of flying sessions.

Brett
Having those goals make it the exhilarating challenge it is.
Good to hear. Was talking with Jim Lee at Polk City contest and he too said in all his years of flying maybe he hit the near perfect groove only once or twice.
Kinda blew my addled mind.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here