News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:12:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2016 Nats Coverage  (Read 64070 times)

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: 2016 Nats Coverage
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2016, 11:04:11 AM »
What are "split, blown flaps"?

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team  

Hi Larry,
There photos near the top of the second page of this thread from Dave that show the detail of these flaps fairly well.  They are in fact slotted somewhat articulated flaps similar to those found on full scale airliners.  The really big difference here is that they operate in both directions.

Some pretty good illustrations of slotted flaps here:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=slotted+flap+design&qpvt=slotted+flap+design&qpvt=slotted+flap+design&qpvt=slotted+flap+design&FORM=IGRE

The linkages are likely very "tricky" on Wes's Stunters!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2016, 01:20:14 PM »
it was also written up in Stunt News
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2016, 01:28:01 PM »
Thanks Randy.
Sure looks complicated.
I would have concerns with all the gaps between the two flaps and the trailing edge of the wing.
I know that competitive flyers make a big deal of sealing hinge lines before they even think about starting the trim process.
I myself have had trim issues until a local big shot flier had me seal the hinge lines.
Problem solved.
(Ted seems to know a thing or two about stunt ships)

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »
I have the first plans built version of the Velvet and the flaps look more complicated than they really are.All of the other ships I have flown seam to really bleed off the airspeed when I tried to turn them too hard.These produce less drag and I have to really over control to slow it down in the corners.I like them and think the extra time to construct them was worth it.I was going to let Wes and others fly mine to check them out but............ HB~> HB~>
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2016, 02:29:34 PM »
The pilots meeting is over and here are the circle assignments and flight order for the first two days of qualifications:
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2016, 02:30:23 PM »
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2016, 02:30:55 PM »
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2016, 02:31:35 PM »
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
As per usual, the Advanced fliers will fly first then open.  'A' group has no Advanced fliers.  They are spread between the other three groups.
AMA 20934

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »
Dave Trible, our on the spot reporter, is again giving us poor schlubs a ground's eye view of the proceedings. Thanks to Dave for his awesome reporting.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2016, 03:54:09 PM »
What are "split, blown flaps"?

Window blinds
AMA 12366

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2016, 05:04:19 PM »
Dave it looks like you have a tough group.  Remember you can do it.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2016, 06:36:03 PM »
Dave it looks like you have a tough group.  Remember you can do it.   

UUUhhhhhh....Doc...Just which one of those circles would you consider "Not Tough"...??? They all look very, very tough to me!!!   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~    I don't see any "Freebies" on any of them!

That said...Best of luck Dave!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2016, 06:50:19 PM »
Thank guys!  These boys cut you no slack.....went to the judges meeting after the Appearance Judging and after that found a number of guys out flying.  Actually the wind became do-able pretty late.  Shot a few pics.
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2016, 06:51:46 PM »
These are Charlie Reeves and Jim Lynch with Charlie's Big Job / Fox .59 snarling.
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2016, 06:52:46 PM »
Dan Banjocks Galloping Comedian
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2016, 06:54:04 PM »
Jim Lynch's Humbler
AMA 20934

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2016, 07:23:43 PM »
.I was going to let Wes and others fly mine to check them out but............ HB~> HB~>
[/quote]

Jeff Traxler, if this indicates you squashed your Velvet I'm gonna.........  Please say it isn't so.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2016, 08:05:46 PM »
.I was going to let Wes and others fly mine to check them out but............ HB~> HB~>

Jeff Traxler, if this indicates you squashed your Velvet I'm gonna.........  Please say it isn't so.
Will,  I haven't heard anything (but have been busy).  Hope something didn't happen with Traxs' plane.  Didn't see him at the pilots meeting.......
AMA 20934

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2016, 08:11:08 PM »
there is something going on with Trax,, something about his equipment being hauled off by "a lady on the AMA golf cart" and them having  a conversation which led to her inviting him to go home or something? not totally clear on what happened but it sounds like Traxler was down helping beginners and his stuff got hauled off for "safe keeping"
dont anybody go jumping the bandwagon basedon what I said, I just got scuttlebut from face book so I dont have the facts,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2016, 08:12:25 PM »
There is a story about Trax but I'm not sure if it should be made public. Basically, he was asked to leave, but in my opinion, he was not at fault.

Derek

Online Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2016, 08:35:38 PM »
Monday evening post pilots meeting practice on the L pad.  Picture is my dog watching my dog fly!

Don't know why there weren't more people flying. It was nice out.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2016, 08:40:33 PM »
There is a story about Trax but I'm not sure if it should be made public. Basically, he was asked to leave, but in my opinion, he was not at fault.

Derek
I attempted to be vague not knowing facts first hand, but read it on his facebook,,
sounds like a mess..
but it sounded like perhaps somehting was in process to remedy it maybe?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2016, 08:41:52 PM »
Monday evening post pilots meeting practice on the L pad.  Picture is my dog watching my dog fly!

well I was headed that way, but had to work late on an estimate LOL

oh wait, maybe to far of a commute,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2016, 03:49:48 AM »
Today is Old Time and Classic.  The wind is supposed to be pretty light and our only issues should be the heat and that the Boy Scouts had some kind of conflict this week so their wonderful food service is NOT available to us this week.  BYO! 
AMA 20934

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2016, 04:25:00 AM »

Dave and I went out there after appearance judging and there was *nobody*. We got out flights in an left, still just a few. Air was very friendly. Very strange.

Brett

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2016, 05:53:42 AM »
World Champ Orestes doing overhead eight this morning.
AMA 20934

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2016, 08:15:02 AM »
Jeff's a good guy.
Who's harassing him?

Bob Z.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2016, 09:44:24 AM »
World Champ Orestes doing overhead eight this morning.

Outstanding pic. Thanks for doing this

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2016, 09:45:56 AM »

Will,Velvet is in one piece,very shiny,with a new 3 blade prop and spiffy new aluminum wheels!!Unfortunately it is no longer in Muncie,me either.I spent Saturday morning flying with Dave Trible down on the grass circles and was charging batteries all morning in the pavilion.When we decided to take a break I put my charger/power supply/batteries in my rolling milk crate and pushed it under the table I was charging on so it would not be in the way of others.My arthritis has been really on a terror of late and the closest handicapped parking is no where close.I did'nt want to be scolded for stopping to load and unload in the loop so many times and it was never a problem in the last 6 years so I went to lunch and then back to the grass to help out some beginners before going back to the L-pad only to discover my gear was gone.I had 2 new batteries charged that I was'nt able to fly out because I was whoooooooped from flying since 7:30 AM and did'nt want to risk wrecking my plane being physically and mentally drained.Now I could'nt put them in storage mode either.I asked if anyone had even asked if my stuff belonged to them before it vanished and nothing.I thought maybe Dennis put them in the tabulators trailer so nothing would happen to them and would get them before the beginners event which I was a volunteer at.All hoping to get my batteries in storage mode before cell damage and before the event I was working................but Dennis did'nt have them!Apparently Brenda the golf cart lady took it upon herself to remove them without asking ANYONE if the stuff belonged to them.It was taken to an out building by the old headquarters instead of lost and found?????When I realized they were'nt moved by Dennis I started to worry.He started to look around and asked her about the missing items and thats when we found out where it went.She decided they just did'nt belong there and took it upon herself to take something that did not belong to her and put it where no one but her knew where it was so she could scold them.If they were simply returned to their rightful owner a problem would have not arisen.I was by now going to be tied up at the event for hrs and all she does is ride the golf cart anyway so that simple solution would have avoided all this.After the beginner event and a quick trip to batton down the rain fly I had enough time to drive by and get my stuff before the ceremony at the museum.I figured on being civil about it and keep the trap shut until in her usual condescending manner she started screaming at me about parking in the handicapped spot.........I have my placard clearly displayed so what was that all about?????Certainly no way to start a civil conversation.When I said to her I don't know how you were raised but I had 2 parents that always told me"If it does not belong to you,don't touch it" and the next thing I heard was her daughter screaming at me and turned around only to have her in my face like a drill sargant.This fact she left out of the report to the AMA.I told them I would be making a report to her boss and the next thing I knew Dennis pulled me aside after the ceremony at the museum and told me she(The golf cart lady) wanted me gone and I would probably not win appeal and it would be best if I just went home.Nothing like a little support from someone you thought was your friend!!!!All I have to show for all the work I have done trying to improve my building and flying skills since the last Nats is 2 damaged batteries and a boatload of disappointment. In the 7 years I have been attending the Nats in Muncie I have yet to hear a nice or complimentary remark about the golf cart lady.........in fact they have all been of the negative nature.The nice lady at the AMA headquarters I talked to this morning said she would be glad to take a signed pettition for her removal into consideration............
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2016, 10:41:39 AM »
Just who is this Brenda the Golf Cart Lady and what is her role at the AMA?
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2016, 11:14:53 AM »
Sorry for your problems Jeff.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2016, 11:51:15 AM »
Just who is this Brenda the Golf Cart Lady and what is her role at the AMA?

THESE ARE MY OPINIONS:
Hi, Mike - my best guess is that her job is to be the resident irritating a**hole.
From what Jeff wrote, she's not only pretty good at it but others have complained as well.
Just what the sport needs - another jacka**.

Jeff is a good guy and I've seen him put out some really good effort.
Neither he nor anyone else needs this kind of CRAP. I  hope she gets fired.

Bob Z.

now I'm waiting for someone to defend her.   LL~  LL~

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2016, 12:33:35 PM »

THESE ARE MY OPINIONS:
Hi, Mike - my best guess is that her job is to be the resident irritating a**hole.
From what Jeff wrote, she's not only pretty good at it but others have complained as well.
Just what the sport needs - another jacka**.

Jeff is a good guy and I've seen him put out some really good effort.
Neither he nor anyone else needs this kind of CRAP. I  hope she gets fired.

Bob Z.

now I'm waiting for someone to defend her.   LL~  LL~

Sounds like her Daughter is waiting to take her place!   y1 LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

I'm a little surprised at Dennis's reaction.  What's behind all that!  I would be tempted to send the AMA a Bill for all my expenses and trouble along with the petition to remove Miss Brenda and her golf cart!

y1 y1 y1

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2016, 12:49:50 PM »
Dave,

I sure have enjoyed the excellent Nats coverage and photos.

Thanks and I hope to see you in Paducah next month.

Zuriel
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #135 on: July 19, 2016, 12:52:18 PM »
I believe that Brenda is the Control Line ED.....at least she claimed to be to me when she was having a fit about something.....

John Leidle

« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2016, 12:54:26 PM »
   From the conversations I've had with  Jeff I found a genuine person. Always volunteering. Thank you for clearing this up for us Jeff. I don't trouble believing every word you wrote. The last time I checked in at the old farm house I think it was 2013  not really sure. The help out there really wasnt happy to see me come through the door . I was more of an inconvienece than anything. Maybe no one told them that we are the people that gave them a job I dont think the General Motors  Transmission Factory is currently hiring.  So Im not surprised as to how Jeff was treated. Maybe training in Anger Management , Sensitivity Training or a simple trip to the Unemployment office is in order.
  When they send my Nats Aplication the cover letter says " you are the backbne of our membership as a competitor"  maybe that has changed.
    Cant say I'm sorry I'm sitting in Seattle this July.   I wonder if the PA Nats needs to be relocted ?  Houston, Central Valley or Springfield, Or. I have no idea why we put up with this type of jive.
                         John L.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2016, 01:18:35 PM »
Results!!!   Classic and Old Time:
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2016, 01:19:13 PM »
AMA 20934

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2016, 02:45:50 PM »
Thanx for the support and the kind words.I enjoy helping and volunteering not only because it's good for the soul but there is still so much I need to learn to be a great CLPA pilot.IMHO the C/L community is the greatest bunch of humans on the planet and I am honored to be a part of it! H^^ H^^

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2016, 02:52:45 PM »

SloMo video from Orestes first practice flight this morning. I will try to do more with different people because I think it's kinda cool.

Derek

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2016, 03:00:26 PM »
thats pretty awesome
what are you shooting that with, I have been deliberating on getting a training camera
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2016, 03:02:10 PM »
I hope that was just a practice flight.   ???
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2016, 03:07:32 PM »
thats pretty awesome
what are you shooting that with, I have been deliberating on getting a training camera

My droid turbo 2 has a SloMo feature on the camera.  y1

Derek

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2016, 03:10:07 PM »
Interesting.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2016, 03:11:30 PM »
I hope that was just a practice flight.   ???

Concerning that the contest has not started and I stated that it was a practice flight....

Pick you favorite pilot, pick any maneuver, and I will capture it in SloMo. There WILL be mistakes and they will be easy to see. It's just the nature of filming stunt in SloMo.

Derek

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2016, 03:15:19 PM »
Yep, I need to read better.   I remember standing with Mike Pratt one watching Paul Walker putting up a practice flight.  I commented some thing about that is a national champion.  Mike's response was that he was checking an engine out.   Wait until he gets in front of the judges.   n~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2016, 03:48:35 PM »
My droid turbo 2 has a SloMo feature on the camera.  y1

Derek

Derek ,

Thanks for posting the video, I thought you were playing around with a new "high zoot" video camera. Very Nice work for  a droid .

Would be interesting to see a hourglass and how sharp the corners really are.
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2016, 04:08:30 PM »
Gee, I have a Turbo II. Guess I'll need to see if it has such capability. What app are you using?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2016, 04:44:50 PM »
Gee, I have a Turbo II. Guess I'll need to see if it has such capability. What app are you using?

No app, it's built into the phone. Go to your camera, swipe right and it will give you video and picture options.

Derek

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here