News:

• June 17, 2024, 11:50:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Veco Bob Palmer Hurricane kit  (Read 10319 times)

Online Joseph Lijoi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Brodak Veco Bob Palmer Hurricane kit
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:54:39 PM »
Went to the Brodak site today and it looks like there is a new kit of the old Veco Hawker Hurricane designed by Bob Palmer. I figure it is new because I haven't seen it before.  Anybody out there have any experoence with the kit and/or the design?

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Brodak Veco Bob Palmer Hurricane kit
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:34:20 PM »
Well, I can't comment of the authenticity of the Brodak Kit but over here in the UK Mick Castell has a really nice Veco Hurricane model which he flies in Classic. It fly's really well and looks excellent in the air. His choice of colour scheme leaves many a bit perplexed but is actually perfectly authentic and was the scheme used on a Hurricane 1 (P2992) of the Hornchurch squadron during 1943 for Gun and Radar calibration. I think Mick selected it because of it's high visibility when flying at contests where trees were an irritable backdrop. No chance of losing this one. So impressed by it's flying abilities he has also built a profile version for P40 competitions over here. If the Brodak version is an authentic copy I can whole heartedly recommend it.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »
I can't speak about this particular kit (might get one for the heck of it) but I flew the Veco kit version in senior stunt at the '72 Nats.  I used the McCoy .35 redhead in mine.  I loved that airplane.  I let my friend borrow it and got back a scrap pile-oh well.  I think it had over/under lead outs.  I also think it was supposed to use Bob's differential flaps which I DIDN't use.  These had the inboard flap move faster/farther than outboard.  I put in a regular horn which was the only change I recall.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »
Mick's has the over/under leadouts but I have no idea if he used differential flaps.

TTFN
John
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 07:40:50 PM »
Historically, this has proven to be a very good flying stunter. Brodak classic kits have consistently been well engineered with good wood, useable hardware and an excellent value. I say: Go for it!
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:42:49 PM »
Well, I can't comment of the authenticity of the Brodak Kit but over here in the UK Mick Castell has a really nice Veco Hurricane model which he flies in Classic. It fly's really well and looks excellent in the air. His choice of colour scheme leaves many a bit perplexed but is actually perfectly authentic and was the scheme used on a Hurricane 1 (P2992) of the Hornchurch squadron during 1943 for Gun and Radar calibration. I think Mick selected it because of it's high visibility when flying at contests where trees were an irritable backdrop. No chance of losing this one. So impressed by it's flying abilities he has also built a profile version for P40 competitions over here. If the Brodak version is an authentic copy I can whole heartedly recommend it.

TTFN
John.

I don't know about British paint but some of the US armys P-40 and other planes had their olive drab paint turn a pink shade in the desert campaigns. I remember one P-40 model campaigned in the 80's R/C of course with a pink color and it was fully documented.

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
I still have mine which was built in 1963 from a Veco kit. Used kit wood and it is fairly heavy. Used the differential flaps which the plans showed and they were backwards of what Bob Palmer intended. Some refer to them as "Wiggly flaps" but they do not seem to cause much wiggle! Mine is done in camo with the light blue bottom and originally had a Johnson 35 Stunt Supreme which was OK. Later fitted it with a good Tom Lay ST .46 and it really came to life. Love flying it without muffler and hearing the noise and strong 4-2 break. It has the over/under leadouts which seem fine and is great looking doing the pattern. Has been a few years since last flown and still looks good. One of my favorites in the air flying and on the ground as well. I  also have one still in the box from Australia with great wood and will be built soon and that Tom Lay St 46 will be going in it.   

If the Brodak kit is like the original, but with better wood, it will make a fine flyer and good looker.

Don Boka

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 05:07:10 AM »
I still have mine which was built in 1963 from a Veco kit. Used kit wood and it is fairly heavy. Used the differential flaps which the plans showed and they were backwards of what Bob Palmer intended. Some refer to them as "Wiggly flaps" but they do not seem to cause much wiggle!

Don Boka

Hi Don.  The Hurricane along with the Skyscraper have the flap hookup as Palmer wanted them.  It was the T-Bird which had the hookup forward of the hinge which Bob stated; "I was out of town when the plans for the T-Bird were finalised and they weren't hooked up the way I wanted it" or words similar.   The bellcrank rotation destroyed the movement of the flaps to what he had wanted.   This is written in the MAN when the Skyscraper was published.   Some modellers thought that he meant that the shorter horn should have been on the outside when he said they were set up back to front.

Regardless of whether they work or not, it is a bit of history which seems to get screwed up over the years!

HH

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 09:46:52 AM »
I wanted to build a Palmer Hurricane, but it was too small for me.  So I came up with my own.

This one is 59" span with a 60 engine.

I have plans if anyone is interested in a scratch build.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 02:54:36 PM »
Hey Dallas.

Thank you for the info on the Hurricane flaps. Never really noticed the "wiggle" and this clarifies the issue for me. By the way, the Australian kit of the Veco Hurricane I have is from Tony Cincotta if I recall correctly. I bought it quite a while ago. I plan to start on it this year. Really nice wood and kit.

Don Boka.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 05:07:18 PM »
I wanted to build a Palmer Hurricane, but it was too small for me.  So I came up with my own.

This one is 59" span with a 60 engine.

I have plans if anyone is interested in a scratch build.Floyd

Floyd,

Nice looking model. Not small either.

I couldn't help but see your exhaust manifold, really nice! Coincidently I'm doing the same thing as I write.

Nice to see a finished model with some detail!  Especially something I'm trying. Kudos!

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Mark_Gerber

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »
I scratch-built mine (in the rear of the photo) to the Veco kit plans.  It's a great-flying plane.  I haven't seen the Brodak kit yet, but I suspect it's a good replica since I believe Watt Moore did the plans working off of Palmer's original that Bill Heyworth provided (nearest the camera).

Mark Gerber

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »
I just got a set of plans for the Brodak kit and it shows no dihedral in the wing.  If true, the kit will not build a "Classic" legal model.  I have a set of Mark's plans plus set of the original plans which doesn't show the full sized wing but shows the 5/8" dihedral in each panel.  Just in case anyone was planning on using one for "Classic" competition.
Alan Resinger

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 12:52:44 PM »
Most warbirds (except for modern jets) have dihedral.  It is a real crime not to use it!  Dihedral actually helps with vertical CG on a low-mounted wing (most WWII fighters).  It isn't difficult to build if you make the wing panels separately.
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here