News:

• June 08, 2024, 01:58:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Current Building Project : First Run Video!  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
My Current Building Project : First Run Video!
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:53:50 PM »
Well, I was gonna do all sorts of stuff this winter, but I got right down to it and this is what I want to do right now. I've just begun the construction of a replica ACE 0.5 English Diesel (compression ignition for you purists out there). I'm using one of only several casting made by Roger Schroeder before he passed away. You can see I've just started the case machining and found a shrinkage void under the sprew, fortunately I think I got to sound material and I'll be able to finish it. Over the next few weeks I'll post more progress shots if you guys would like to see them.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:49:57 PM by Randy Ryan »
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: My Current Building Project
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:12:35 PM »
Fun!!!
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 08:18:11 PM »
I for one would like to watch your progress. You do very nice work, and us engine lovers want to watch.
Jim Kraft

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:21:58 PM »
I for one would like to watch your progress. You do very nice work, and us engine lovers want to watch.

You got it Jim!!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:38:37 PM »
Builder Of the Motor???
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 10:09:35 PM »
Builder Of the Motor???

Builder of the Motor
Builder of the Model
Builder of the Motorcycle
An probably builder of some other M's that escape me at the moment.

Did your Dad ever show you the AHC diesel I built and gave him?
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 10:11:01 PM »
Step 8. Aw screw it, buy ARF.

Anybody can do that Ty, doesn't do anything for me. But hey, I know I'm a little weird.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 12:22:59 PM »
Randy, I've been waiting for you to do something like this since you finished the Vivell. Always a pleasure to see the work of a craftsman.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 01:03:49 PM »
Hi Brother Randy!

Keep up the pictures as you go.  I will be following right along.

If I'm lucky (and have enough time left!) I would like to get set up for some machining work.  The "little" bit I have done kinda whet my appetite!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 01:33:24 PM »
I'll be checking in on your progress, Randy. Wish they'd let me do Government Work where I'm employed, but they have a bad attitude about it. That sux!   :( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »
Good to see.  I want to start doing that, but the most I've completed (that worked) has been a few venturis & needle assemblies, and little bits and bobs of model hardware (it's amazing how easy it is to spend half an hour making a hand-machined part to replace something that you'd by for $1.29 from Brodak's -- if you could wait for it to show up).

It's nice to see build logs from someone who can actually make it all work -- please keep posting pictures.

Reputedly, someone's picked up Roger's castings -- Hemingway?  If you could figure out who, and if they have any spares, and if you sweet-talked them enough, you may be able to get a replacement*.  I know Roger had a rep for replacing castings with defects, no questions asked.

* That's a lot of 'if's
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 02:33:52 PM »
My son is a machinest, and he says it's easy. You just take a chunk of metal, and cut away everything that isn't the part you are making. Yeah! Right! The good thing is, when I need a part made, or something machined, I just run it by him and it's done.
Jim Kraft

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 03:33:16 PM »
Tim, if you want to start out making something that will actually work and doesn't need to be super precise, build a steam engine.  You can run it on compressed air and save the complications and danger of a boiler.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 05:52:15 PM »
Actually, any long stroke/small bore engine is pretty forgiving to piston fit, because piston speed is very high. It's the short stroke/big bore engines that are the challenge, because the piston speed is relatively low...and the rpm is generally pretty high.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 06:56:29 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll keep em coming!!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 06:57:53 PM »
Good to see.  I want to start doing that, but the most I've completed (that worked) has been a few venturis & needle assemblies, and little bits and bobs of model hardware (it's amazing how easy it is to spend half an hour making a hand-machined part to replace something that you'd by for $1.29 from Brodak's -- if you could wait for it to show up).

It's nice to see build logs from someone who can actually make it all work -- please keep posting pictures.

Reputedly, someone's picked up Roger's castings -- Hemingway?  If you could figure out who, and if they have any spares, and if you sweet-talked them enough, you may be able to get a replacement*.  I know Roger had a rep for replacing castings with defects, no questions asked.

* That's a lot of 'if's

Tim, Its a Brit that bought it, I nissed out by only a couple hours, I wanted to pick it up myself. I' get the namw (I should know it actually, but I don't)
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 07:39:25 PM »
It is Hemingway, at least according to my fave engine building site: http://www.modelenginenews.org/ed.2010.11.html#t3.  Hemingway mentions it on their web site: http://www.hemingwaykits.com/index.html, toward the bottom.

I've got a dead lawn mower that I've been saving in anticipation of using it's dead and broken crankcase for castings.  I think it's more likely that 40 years from now my progeny will haul it to the dump while asking themselves what in the heck was I thinking?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: My Current Building Project *** NEW PIX
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 08:20:31 AM »
OK, Got the pix down to a handlabel size so here goes, starting at the top:

First and sedond pix:
Case in the cradle block, this allows me to remove and replace the case for various operations without losing location. It'll have to go back in for the cylinder bolts

Third Pic:
Case chucked in lathe to cut the inside and cut the cover threads

Forth & Fifth:
The cover threaded end is cut and doubles as a chucking fixture to do the front finishing on the case.

Sixth-Eighth:
Cover is parted off and another stub is machined with the female thread the same as the case, the cover is placed inot it and the back is completed followed by a trip to the mill to cut the wrenching notches.

Nineth:
Cover on place in the case.

I have MORE to come.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 10:08:05 AM »
WoW do you have a cool setup. You are the B.O.E. ;D

And when I first saw the blue parts I thought you were making a LA copy. LL~
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 12:33:40 PM »
Paul - it's Prussian Blue / layout dye. Used so you can make clear lines that come off easily( except from hands / clothes).

Also useful for things like lapping case backs and cylinder heads true and flat. Put on a thin coat - let dry and then swipe the part on your flat surface w/ 800 grit - low spots hold the dye, high spots it comes off and reveals the shiny metal. Gives you a good visual reference of the mating surfaces.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 01:27:18 PM »
How far do we take the BOM biz? I like Carl Sagen's analysis. If you want to bake an apple pie from scratch, you first have to create the universe.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
How far do we take the BOM biz? I like Carl Sagen's analysis. If you want to bake an apple pie from scratch, you first have to create the universe.

Not a big fan of Carl Sagen so I can take it as far as I want!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: My Current Building Project *** Running Video
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 06:31:56 PM »
OK, well I obviously haven't been posting but I have been working on it. Here's a video of the first run. Old fuel made it hard to start, I'm going to try to mix sme fresh tomorrow.

Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: My Current Building Project : First Run Video!
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 08:03:42 PM »
It stops kinda sudden -- I assume it still needs breaking in?

You gonna build a little CL model for that?

Sigh -- I really need to work on the engine-building skills.
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »
It stops kinda sudden -- I assume it still needs breaking in?

You gonna build a little CL model for that?

Sigh -- I really need to work on the engine-building skills.

That was the first run, its tight and the fuel is old so its really sensitive to compression setting.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 03:24:54 PM »
Tim....My experience with diesels (more than most, but plenty for me!) is that when the NV is leaned just a tad too much, it will quit very suddenly, with little audible warning, and no chance to richen the mixture and keep it running. I'd have made it a glow...or even spark ignition.

Randy, what's the displacement of that little feller? It's cute, anyway. You do very nice work!  H^^ Steve

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 04:20:44 PM »
Tim....My experience with diesels (more than most, but plenty for me!) is that when the NV is leaned just a tad too much, it will quit very suddenly, with little audible warning, and no chance to richen the mixture and keep it running. I'd have made it a glow...or even spark ignition.

Randy, what's the displacement of that little feller? It's cute, anyway. You do very nice work!  H^^ Steve

Steve, its an .03 (.5CC) The fuel was very old with most of the ether gone, so it was very sensitiver to compression veriation. I mixed up some fresh today and it runs much more predictably.

Thanks for the compliment, since I don't do that work for a lkiving anymore, I enjoy it again!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 09:35:49 AM »
That is great.  Diesels are a different breed of animal.  Just like four strokes they need to be tenderly fondled.  I love the diesels, but need to stock up on fuel ingredients before I get the Peacemaker flying.  Did I mention that is a cute little engine. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 10:52:26 AM »
That is great.  Diesels are a different breed of animal.  Just like four strokes they need to be tenderly fondled.  I love the diesels, but need to stock up on fuel ingredients before I get the Peacemaker flying.  Did I mention that is a cute little engine. H^^

Thanks Doc, funny, this little guy is physically about twice the size it needs to be as a .5CC engine, but very typical of early-mid 40's and even some late 40's designs. As a sideport its quite easy to handle, though this one still has me in the fog for the magic "combination" of mixture and compression setting it likes for cold starts. Most diesels will teach you what they want if you pay attention, not like glows that are much more tolerant of being flooded (actually too rich for easy starting).
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here