News:

• May 23, 2024, 09:32:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can you identify this engine?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Can you identify this engine?
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:26:44 PM »
Can you identify this Fox engine?  I've been told that its a 40 by a pretty reliable source, but I'm pretty sure that there are parts missing.  If possible I'd like to get them from Fox:

It's got an iron piston.  It has (ehem) 'enjoyed' quite an excess of love -- I don't think that there's a fastener on the thing that hasn't been taken off and fiddled with.  When I got it there were head bolts holding on the backplate, backplate bolts holding on the head, and some bizarre screws making up the slack for whatever rolled into the dirt during reassembly.  The piston was in backward, and the carburetor was loaded with a combination of grime and baked-on castor oil goo.  I got it for $8, so I really want to protect my investment here.

I cleaned out the carb oven the weekend, and put appropriate fasteners in the appropriate holes, and now it's a good strong runner.  I'm thinking of either trading it to RC friends for something, trading it for a stunt engine, or maybe keeping it and building a carrier plane around it.  I've never heard of these things being used for a stunt engine, so I assume that if I slap a venturi on it and try to use it for that I'll be alone out on a long limb if I run into any problems.

But it's missing a muffler, and if I'm not mistaken there should be a steel washer between the crankcase and the prop driver -- so I really need to find out what parts to get, and who to get them from.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Can you identify this engine?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:49:56 PM »
What does the backplate look like?  Is it square or does it go halfway to the head? 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Robert Redmon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »
Looks like a Fox RC engine from the 70s. The .60s were almost uniformly disliked by all who tried to use them. Hard to break in and totally unreliable. Everyone I knew back then seemed to get stuck with a few. They were hard to give away.

Bob
Robert Redmon
AMA 58073

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 03:58:42 PM »
What does the backplate look like?  Is it square or does it go halfway to the head? 
Herr Doktor Schnuerle has, indeed, had his way with this engine, and it does have the tall backplate.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 03:59:15 PM »
I've got 2 of them. One is bushed like yours with a venturi and the other is BB with the goofy carb. Look at your engine lugs - one should be stamped with either 40 or 45. I have a straight pipe adapter and a Mac's Heloball muffler if needed. I'm keeping the other Mac's flow thru muffler. You might notice these engines are as big as some .60's! If you pop the back off you'll see a unique port arrangement. Haven't fired mine up yet. They're now a couple ornaments next to my series 21 McCoys.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 04:57:10 PM »
Had one in the seventies.  Carb was terrible so I made an adapter for a Perry and it ran great.  I mayy still have the adapter and carb in my junk.

Phil

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 05:03:28 PM »
Had one in the seventies.  Carb was terrible so I made an adapter for a Perry and it ran great.  I mayy still have the adapter and carb in my junk.
That carb is certainly, uh, unique.  I've heard that comment from other people.  I'm kinda wondering what happens if I put an adapter on it and run a venturi.
AMA 64232

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 05:18:59 PM »
I've got 2 of them. One is bushed like yours with a venturi and the other is BB with the goofy carb. Look at your engine lugs - one should be stamped with either 40 or 45. I have a straight pipe adapter and a Mac's Heloball muffler if needed. I'm keeping the other Mac's flow thru muffler. You might notice these engines are as big as some .60's! If you pop the back off you'll see a unique port arrangement.s.

^^^^This^^^^

I've got one too stamped .40 on the lug.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 05:40:23 PM »
If it has a "40" stamped on the lug that's it, otherwise it is a 45.  Fox has (had?) CL venturis that bolted down in place of the carb.  The carb frustrated people if they did not follow directions; Learned a LOT of years later how to set it - essentially you had the set the idle FIRST then set the hi speed.  Then it worked great.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 06:39:06 PM »
Best bet is that it will turn an 11-6 with authority.  One of Pat Kings Streak 45's would be a good bet, but don't try to cram it into a Nobler. I have a 45 just like it that came with both the RC and CL carbs. I flew mine on a Banshee if that gives you any ideas. Although, I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone I like.  Maybe sell it to Steve Helmick?  He's quite a Fox fan.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 06:51:42 PM »
Here's what the venturi and pipe adapter look like. I think Fox still makes the Venturi. I added a new style NVA (fine adjust) to mine for a modern Fox .40. The flow thru muffler can be had on eBay (Mac's Fox .40 "Old SC" is the way it's listed - old shiney case)
The stock muffler is a tube type if I recall.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 07:27:55 PM »
Those CL venturies have large holes, which might give you an idea of the engines intended purpose.  They really do make fine sport engines, it's just hard to find an appropriate airplane.  You need a medium large plane that is intended to fly fairly fast, or you could use it on a combat Twister or Banshee.  The Banshee will come out somewhat nose heavy as I recall. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
I have a 40 on an R/C flying boat. much more power than the ST .60(light) that was originally on it.
Very good fuel mileage..actually amazing fuel mileage.
Dark Mag looking case, not the costume jewelry version
David Roland

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 02:48:38 PM »
Yup from the 70's I have a little fox 15 that looks just like it, with the CL venturi. I fitted it with the remote NVA from a OS LA 40.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 06:11:56 PM »
Can you identify this Fox engine?  I've been told that its a 40 by a pretty reliable source, but I'm pretty sure that there are parts missing.  If possible I'd like to get them from Fox:

It's got an iron piston.  It has (ehem) 'enjoyed' quite an excess of love -- I don't think that there's a fastener on the thing that hasn't been taken off and fiddled with.  When I got it there were head bolts holding on the backplate, backplate bolts holding on the head, and some bizarre screws making up the slack for whatever rolled into the dirt during reassembly.  The piston was in backward, and the carburetor was loaded with a combination of grime and baked-on castor oil goo.  I got it for $8, so I really want to protect my investment here.

I cleaned out the carb oven the weekend, and put appropriate fasteners in the appropriate holes, and now it's a good strong runner.  I'm thinking of either trading it to RC friends for something, trading it for a stunt engine, or maybe keeping it and building a carrier plane around it.  I've never heard of these things being used for a stunt engine, so I assume that if I slap a venturi on it and try to use it for that I'll be alone out on a long limb if I run into any problems.

But it's missing a muffler, and if I'm not mistaken there should be a steel washer between the crankcase and the prop driver -- so I really need to find out what parts to get, and who to get them from.
Heck yeah.....that's mine, where'd you find it??? :##
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here