News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:55:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1978 Southwesterns  (Read 1730 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1978 Southwesterns
« on: April 03, 2020, 09:52:31 PM »
In going through the few things salvaged from the fire I found an old box of slides I took at the 1978 Southwesterns.  Sad part is that I didn't identify the planes/flier.  I am pretty sure that one of the white ones belonged to Addis Elmore, one of the Bearcats was Al Rabe and the red/white/blue one was mine.  Anybody recognize or want to claim the others?  Had to split them up in a couple of posts.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1978 Southwesterns
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 09:54:21 PM »
A few more:
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 09:56:55 PM »
Last bunch.  Wish I was more shutter happy back then.  Memories fade, pictures help.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 03:58:58 PM »
Ken,

I would be willing to wager that the last three pictures are of a Dave McClellan FW 190-D.  Whether the pictured plane is owned by him or some other flyer I cannot guess.

Joe

Upon further review,  the plane must be David's.  The fuse markings (M 17) are the same as the picture I have of David holding the plane.  The thing that caused me to question it at first is that in the last picture the supercharger scoop is on the wrong side of the fuse.  Looking at that picture more closely, I realized that the picture is backwards;  it is a picture of the right side of the plane not the left.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 05:18:33 PM »
Must be Tommy T graphics on the Chizler.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 01:23:35 AM »
p-40 looks like Ron Harding's. He won conquours at the Nats that year with it.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 06:00:33 PM »

The P-40 looks awesome, some serious flap area too. Any more details on it?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 11:20:19 PM »
The P-40 looks awesome, some serious flap area too. Any more details on it?
Wish I could.  It could very well be Ron Harding's.   I seem to remember him attending.  I know that I felt outnumbered flying a traditional stunter.  Fortunately the *scale* ships didn't corner so well so I was able to do OK in spite of the appearance points.  Today's power plants changed that matrix.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 11:13:30 AM »
Ken,

I would be willing to wager that the last three pictures are of a Dave McClellan FW 190-D.  Whether the pictured plane is owned by him or some other flyer I cannot guess.

Joe

Upon further review,  the plane must be David's.  The fuse markings (M 17) are the same as the picture I have of David holding the plane.  The thing that caused me to question it at first is that in the last picture the supercharger scoop is on the wrong side of the fuse.  Looking at that picture more closely, I realized that the picture is backwards;  it is a picture of the right side of the plane not the left.

My brother just acquired David's FW-190 last week.  It has a hole in one wing but is otherwise completely intact.
Steve

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 12:46:15 PM »
The  107 Bearcat is mine. 
The 95 Bearcat was Ron Harding's. 
P40 was Ron's and the 190 was David McClelllan.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 01:33:27 PM »
Thanks Frank.  Trying to reconstruct memories can get frustrating.  It is possible that some of those pictures were from some of the many PAMPA events we hosted back then.  All I had to go on were the photo dates.  We were all so young!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 01:45:29 PM »

Frank,

Is Addis still around?? I have one of his Sanding Wands ---- somewhere..
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 01:53:12 PM »
Frank,

Is Addis still around?? I have one of his Sanding Wands ---- somewhere..
Addis is still around.  We see him from time to time at contests but he is not flying.  I have tried to get him back in the air to no avail.  I may be the only one of that old gang still flying.  We sure had some fun!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2021, 05:13:01 AM »
Addis is still around.  We see him from time to time at contests but he is not flying.  I have tried to get him back in the air to no avail.  I may be the only one of that old gang still flying.  We sure had some fun!

Ken

Ken,

In those days, I lived in Beaumont and hung out with Don Still.. In 1978, I was "fun flying" a white Gieseke Nobler at the school yards with some locals.. Don told me I should give contesting a try.. I showed up at Houston's April Fool Fun Fly put on by Frank and Bill Lee. My Beaumont flying buddy was big ol' bear of a black guy named Lewis Sherman.. He built some killer Mouse racers. For about 9 years, Lewis and I flew with and against Frank, Addis, John Hill, Lee Uberbacher, Tom Farmer, and some guys from Louisiana. Lewis and I often made trips to Dallas.. Lewis and I went to Tulsa one year. I designed and built a ship using Bob Hunt's Genesis "numbers".. It was a big ol' yellow thing I called Windwalker.. In 1986 I experienced a life changing event and hung up my airplanes.. Over the years I have forgotten the names of many of those friends I made.. When I hear or read the name of any of those forgotten people, my memory is jogged "awake", guys like Mike Greb and Jim Ong and his sons.. Ken, forgive me but I just cannot remember you.. I know I should but just can't.. Help me out, do you remember me??
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2021, 08:30:17 AM »
Ken,

In those days, I lived in Beaumont and hung out with Don Still.. In 1978, I was "fun flying" a white Gieseke Nobler at the school yards with some locals.. Don told me I should give contesting a try.. I showed up at Houston's April Fool Fun Fly put on by Frank and Bill Lee. My Beaumont flying buddy was big ol' bear of a black guy named Lewis Sherman.. He built some killer Mouse racers. For about 9 years, Lewis and I flew with and against Frank, Addis, John Hill, Lee Uberbacher, Tom Farmer, and some guys from Louisiana. Lewis and I often made trips to Dallas.. Lewis and I went to Tulsa one year. I designed and built a ship using Bob Hunt's Genesis "numbers".. It was a big ol' yellow thing I called Windwalker.. In 1986 I experienced a life changing event and hung up my airplanes.. Over the years I have forgotten the names of many of those friends I made.. When I hear or read the name of any of those forgotten people, my memory is jogged "awake", guys like Mike Greb and Jim Ong and his sons.. Ken, forgive me but I just cannot remember you.. I know I should but just can't.. Help me out, do you remember me??
No forgiveness needed, I don't recall your name either but that is not unusual for me.  Names have always been a nemesis. I do seem to remember a big yellow plane though and that name.  I was still "active" in '84.  Do you have a picture? 

My lifestyle kept me "grounded" to Dallas so if we crossed paths it would have been there.  I judged a lot and nobody remembers the judges.  When I did fly it was in the Expert class if that helps.   Lee, Addis, Bill, Gerald (I think it was Widmer) and I were flying together as much as we could for the better part of 1976 through 1982 when my lifestyle (2 athletically gifted daughters competing in swimming and Ice Skating totally wiped out my weekends) took me out until 2017.  I was going to school and working full time so my building was minimal.  The only plane I flew in competition was my Blue and Red "Surveyor".  You might remember it since, except for Lee's Novi and Addis's original was about the only non-semiscale out there.  Mike is still active but for the most part, all of them are out or passed away like Lee, Bob, Tom(s) and recently Al.  We always got a large (well large for PA) showing from San Antonio and Houston but I was never able to make their contests.

I was a big fan of Don Still.  I saw him fly several times as a teenager (I was in Dallas from 1963-67) and was amazed at what he could do.

I have been trying to reconstruct my "memories" as well.  Last week I found that one of the regulars here lived a couple of houses from me as a 7th grader and flew at the same place I did.  We may have even met as kids. 

Sorry you can't fly anymore, I know my years are counting down.

Ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2021, 09:56:45 AM »
No forgiveness needed, I don't recall your name either but that is not unusual for me.  Names have always been a nemesis. I do seem to remember a big yellow plane though and that name.  I was still "active" in '84.  Do you have a picture? 

My lifestyle kept me "grounded" to Dallas so if we crossed paths it would have been there.  I judged a lot and nobody remembers the judges.  When I did fly it was in the Expert class if that helps.   Lee, Addis, Bill, Gerald (I think it was Widmer) and I were flying together as much as we could for the better part of 1976 through 1982 when my lifestyle (2 athletically gifted daughters competing in swimming and Ice Skating totally wiped out my weekends) took me out until 2017.  I was going to school and working full time so my building was minimal.  The only plane I flew in competition was my Blue and Red "Surveyor".  You might remember it since, except for Lee's Novi and Addis's original was about the only non-semiscale out there.  Mike is still active but for the most part, all of them are out or passed away like Lee, Bob, Tom(s) and recently Al.  We always got a large (well large for PA) showing from San Antonio and Houston but I was never able to make their contests.

I was a big fan of Don Still.  I saw him fly several times as a teenager (I was in Dallas from 1963-67) and was amazed at what he could do.

I have been trying to reconstruct my "memories" as well.  Last week I found that one of the regulars here lived a couple of houses from me as a 7th grader and flew at the same place I did.  We may have even met as kids. 

Sorry you can't fly anymore, I know my years are counting down.

Ken

I hadn't heard that Lee Uberbacher has passed... This is the first I've heard about it.. When Lewis and I would go to Dallas, Lee always invited us to stay at his house.. Lee and I were good friends.. After one of those Houston contests, he wanted me to fly his Novi.. Afterwards, he gave it to me. I think he had more than one. He retired and moved (if I remember correctly) to the Seattle area.. A few years ago I tracked him down and we had a nice "walk down memory lane" on the phone.. I just read somewhere a few weeks ago about Tom Farmer.. Back in those days, his job would bring him to Beaumont on a regular basis.. We'd have lunch together and he'd pass on some his secrets to light building.. He was a master at Monocote covering.. I still have the drawings and notes he passed on to me.. I met Al only one time.. It was during a contest so I didn't bug him.. Instead, I just stayed "in the background".. You're right, it seemed like everybody was flying semi-scale..  Several years ago, Don gave me the ORIGINAL plans to each one of his Stukas.. I'm probably the only one that knows why he painted one of them white instead of his signature black with the iron cross..

I built a series of three of those Windwalkers.. The first one was actually an out of the box Nobler wing with a fuselage of my design.. It succumbed to a broken line.. After I quit flying, I gave the third one to Lewis and he crashed it.. The "middle one" is the one i flew in all those contests and I still have it. With a little cleaning and a new tank it will be in flying condition. When I get it to that point I'll post a picture of it.. Don hooked me up with George Aldrich and George built several of my engines.. The engine in the surviving Windwalker is an OS 45FSR he built for me. That thing will 4-2-4 with the best of them.

Three years ago I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a cancer that lives in the bone marrow.. I'm a veteran and the VA sent me to M D Anderson in Houston for treatment.. After extensive chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant, I've been cancer free for 1 1/2 years.. I haven't had a handle in my hand for about 20 years.. My body can't handle the rigors and stress of competing but I've dug out my equipment and models -- Including a 1/2A, I have seven in flying condition.. I plan to put something in the air pretty soon..

Now that I've rudely hyjacked this thread, I'll shut up... 
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2021, 01:05:32 PM »
I hadn't heard that Lee Uberbacher has passed...

Now that I've rudely hyjacked this thread, I'll shut up...
I had no idea either until I asked Mike Scott how Lee and Addis were just after starting back.  I never found out how.  I knew Bob had passed since I never stopped following the sport.  Tom Neibuhr and Tom Farmer were recent.  Al went last year and I heard that Bob Lipscomb was gone too.  I flew Rat for him back when we did multiple things at contests.  I flew quite a bit with Bob G. and some with Al at their hideaway practice site at Texas Stadium.  Sad part was after Al's accident, he didn't recognize me.  When I got back in, the next generation was dominating things.  It was "Bear" country and I didn't have a Bear.  The group I am flying with now are all Gieseke trained.  Moon brothers, Mike Scott, Phillip Nichols just to mention a few.  Tough crowd.  We all knew Bob well but at a different time and in many ways a different Bob.  I doubt we will ever see the activity and quality that the Gieseke/Rabe years produced again here.

You don't have to shut up - it is my thread!

Ken
Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2021, 03:52:09 PM »
I had no idea either until I asked Mike Scott how Lee and Addis were just after starting back.  I never found out how.  I knew Bob had passed since I never stopped following the sport.  Tom Neibuhr and Tom Farmer were recent.  Al went last year and I heard that Bob Lipscomb was gone too.  I flew Rat for him back when we did multiple things at contests.  I flew quite a bit with Bob G. and some with Al at their hideaway practice site at Texas Stadium.  Sad part was after Al's accident, he didn't recognize me.  When I got back in, the next generation was dominating things.  It was "Bear" country and I didn't have a Bear.  The group I am flying with now are all Gieseke trained.  Moon brothers, Mike Scott, Phillip Nichols just to mention a few.  Tough crowd.  We all knew Bob well but at a different time and in many ways a different Bob.  I doubt we will ever see the activity and quality that the Gieseke/Rabe years produced again here.

You don't have to shut up - it is my thread!

Ken
Ken

Al had  an accident?? I though covid took him??

Bob Lipscomb, Ah yes, another one I almost forgot.. After one of those Dallas (or maybe Houston) contests, Lewis was throwing our stuff into the back of my truck.. I asked him what's the hurry and he said he just met Bob Lipscomb and Bob wanted to talk to us about some racing subject.. Bob gave Lewis some notes and drawings for building a Rat... Bob is totally responsible for Lewis and I adding more planes to the back of my truck when we traveled.. However, we never reached the level of competition required, but we sure had a lot of fun.. Jim Ong influenced us also.. We went to the Seguin Nats one year and entered only racing events.. I was our pilot and Lewis pitted.. We got our collective butt kicked but, again, we had fun.. Lewis was a big man, 6"2", 6'3" and weighed about 230 - 240.. I weighed 140.. He threw me into the motel swimming pool while I was fully clothed...

One of the local hobby shops was having a closeout sale.. The owner (a lady) did antique doll and doll furniture restoration and was expanding in that direction.. She had a lot of model airplane products and wanted to get rid of the stuff in order to make room for doll products.. Lewis showed up at my house with half the trunk of his car filled with pints and quarts of SIG dope along with several gallon cans of thinner and reducer.. Control line sets, a couple glow drivers, and a bunch of other stuff. He had bought everything she had. I told him I'd pay for half.. Nope, he wouldn't have any of it.. Instead, he left the paint with me saying we'd never have to buy anymore dope for our planes, said all I had to do was provide the compressor and spray guns to apply it... 

Lewis's wife is an ordained minister.. They were in Dallas about 6 years ago for a religious convention.. Lewis was feeling bad but went anyway.. The convention was about a week long and he had planned after the convention was over, to look up some of you guys.. One evening in the motel room, he dropped dead from a heart attack.. I loved that man and I really, really miss him... 
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2021, 04:28:33 PM »
Al had  an accident?? I though covid took him??

Bob Lipscomb, Ah yes, another one I almost forgot.. After one of those Dallas (or maybe Houston) contests, Lewis was throwing our stuff into the back of my truck.. I asked him what's the hurry and he said he just met Bob Lipscomb and Bob wanted to talk to us about some racing subject.. Bob gave Lewis some notes and drawings for building a Rat... Bob is totally responsible for Lewis and I adding more planes to the back of my truck when we traveled.. However, we never reached the level of competition required, but we sure had a lot of fun.. Jim Ong influenced us also.. We went to the Seguin Nats one year and entered only racing events.. I was our pilot and Lewis pitted.. We got our collective butt kicked but, again, we had fun.. Lewis was a big man, 6"2", 6'3" and weighed about 230 - 240.. I weighed 140.. He threw me into the motel swimming pool while I was fully clothed...

One of the local hobby shops was having a closeout sale.. The owner (a lady) did antique doll and doll furniture restoration and was expanding in that direction.. She had a lot of model airplane products and wanted to get rid of the stuff in order to make room for doll products.. Lewis showed up at my house with half the trunk of his car filled with pints and quarts of SIG dope along with several gallon cans of thinner and reducer.. Control line sets, a couple glow drivers, and a bunch of other stuff. He had bought everything she had. I told him I'd pay for half.. Nope, he wouldn't have any of it.. Instead, he left the paint with me saying we'd never have to buy anymore dope for our planes, said all I had to do was provide the compressor and spray guns to apply it... 

Lewis's wife is an ordained minister.. They were in Dallas about 6 years ago for a religious convention.. Lewis was feeling bad but went anyway.. The convention was about a week long and he had planned after the convention was over, to look up some of you guys.. One evening in the motel room, he dropped dead from a heart attack.. I loved that man and I really, really miss him...
I don't know exactly when it was but Al had, I think a motorcycle accident quite a while ago.  Maybe some one can fill it in.  He lost a lot of his memory.  I do think Covid was the cause of death.   Have you ever seen someone who could pit faster than Bob Lipscomb?  He flat wore me out.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2021, 06:10:46 PM »
I don't know exactly when it was but Al had, I think a motorcycle accident quite a while ago.  Maybe some one can fill it in.  He lost a lot of his memory.  I do think Covid was the cause of death.   Have you ever seen someone who could pit faster than Bob Lipscomb?  He flat wore me out.

Ken

Dang it all, Ken. I'll turn 78 this coming Wednesday and my memory is shot.. Getting old ain't for sissies. I've watched Bob pit many races... I paid more attention to the piloting than the pitting.. What I remember most about Bob's pitting is if you blinked, you missed the pit stop.. Grab, squirt, flip ---- just that fast!!! Why I don't remember you is a total mystery.. I wish Lewis was here!!! He'd straighten me out.. 
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2021, 01:56:14 PM »

Sad part was after Al's accident, he didn't recognize me. 

Ken

"Al's accident"

Since there has been some comments about our loss of Al Rabe ---

Al was a pedestrian, reading a book on a sidewalk at a shopping center and stepped in front of a car.  Broke some bones and had internal injuries.  He survived all of that.  He had previously retired from competition but after recuperating, he continued to work with his models and was active on this forum.  I think he died from complications from Covid.  A tragic loss.

Keith

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2021, 02:24:11 PM »
"Al's accident"

Since there has been some comments about our loss of Al Rabe ---

Al was a pedestrian, reading a book on a sidewalk at a shopping center and stepped in front of a car.  Broke some bones and had internal injuries.  He survived all of that.  He had previously retired from competition but after recuperating, he continued to work with his models and was active on this forum.  I think he died from complications from Covid.  A tragic loss.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I knew he had an accident and he was never quite the same after.  He still showed up at our contests and mingled with his old crowd. 

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2021, 09:51:03 PM »
Bob Lipscomb is in a home and has some form of dementia, I believe.

Fantastic builder (the Novi he brought to the VSC, and the Sweet Sweep) bear witness.

He won the 64 NATs in Open combat.

Flew his OTS Bandit on spark at the VSC.

Every ones' friend.

dg

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2021, 11:44:02 PM »
Bob Lipscomb is in a home and has some form of dementia, I believe.

Fantastic builder (the Novi he brought to the VSC, and the Sweet Sweep) bear witness.

He won the 64 NATs in Open combat.

Flew his OTS Bandit on spark at the VSC.

Every ones' friend.

dg
I don't know if I am saddened or relieved that he is still alive.  When I came back I asked about him and was told that he was "gone".  I was a "senior" when I flew for him.  He used to seek me out at contests to fly for him and I would schedule my Stunt flights around the race schedule.  They didn't have a flight order back then, you just got in line when you were ready.  He sparked a real interest in racing in me but I never went back to it.  He could pit so fast that I didn't get even a couple of seconds rest.  It was all "Rat".  I don't think we ever did Goodyear or mouse.

Thanks Dale - Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here