News:

• May 20, 2024, 05:05:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Bluebook for engines  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Bill Burton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
A Bluebook for engines
« on: September 23, 2014, 10:38:54 AM »
Is there any existing publication that gives the value of new or used model airplane IC glow engines?

Thanks

BB

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: A Bluebook for engines
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »
The Anderson Blue Book is the only one I know of.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 07:24:03 AM »
My Book... Flying Model Collectibles has some values and collector information on engines.

In the Index I listed approximately 400 "notable eBay auctions"  most were rare or hard to find engines along with NIB and those engines in excellent condition. As far as worth vs value, one has to understand the collector market. From my own perspective, the good stuff is holding it's own since I published my book in Jan 2004. Sadly, as a group control line, free flight and rubber powered models keep shrinking and this has an influence on market conditions... also, engines are King in the world of Model Airplane Collectibles. The whole antique and collectible market took a big hit over the last 10 yrs. People can no longer sell junk posing as "collectible" ... there are a lot of posers in the market. Always buy from some one who will give you back your money if you aren't happy.

Anderson's Blue Books are a great (there are 4 Editions and a 1/2A Book)  .. Jim Dunkin out of Canada has a book of 2.5cc engines and there is Mike Clanford's (out of the UK) has the infamous A to Z Book which I have seen go for over $250 10 yrs ago but copies are now going in the $50 range.

Recent auctions include Fox Long Shaft 59 NIB going for around $500, a Gold Anniversary Fox 35 which I believe is from 1962ish went for $372, Fox 35 Stunt 60th Anniversary NIB went for $202... Super Tigre "V" 60 NIB with muffler lugs went for $370... Cox .049 Thermal Hopper in Bubble pack, first example went for $555.00, COX Space Hopper 049 in Red White and Blue bubble pack (1959) went for $330, Cox Conquest .15 NIB $311, 1959 COX OLYMPIC 15 NIB $290.. a McCoy 40 Red Head in pristine cond.. $355... Damn !!!

Ignition Engines are falling in price ... Elf engines are going for bargain prices these days as compared to 10 yrs ago.. even the Norton M-5 has lost some of it's intrigue. Recent M-5s are going for under $1800. The best place to get collectibles is from each other... I would rather see my stuff loved than horded out of greed.

All in all most engines are going for under $200 and the good vintage stunt engines can be had for about the same price as the Modern Engines you can buy from Randy Smith...

Jim

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 11:57:04 AM »
Looking at completed auctions, under advanced search, on eBay is usually quite informative. 

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »
The popular old spark motors seem to hold their value pretty well. I bought a few Anderson Spitfires years ago that are still worth more than I paid. Same with Orwicks. I have noticed that McCoy ign. engines bring good money also. Many of these motors are still being used by guys like me that love to fly them. Many of the other odd collectors engines have lost value as the collectors die off. I have 5 control line planes with sparkers and two old free flights with radios with sparkers. I will build more this winter if I can find room. LOL  
             Oh, I left out Super Cyclones that also still bring pretty good money.
Jim Kraft

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 02:17:07 PM »
I think you have to discount some of those e-bay prices.  You often see a "rare", or an old engine new in the box.  These are the ones the collectors bid up..way up!

If you are selling, it is important that you know its value ahead.  (and "value" has two meanings: that which a collector pays, and that which is more reasonable).

If buying, you must search for "clues" as to condition, missing parts, etc. You should contact seller and get more data.  If he claims ignorance, skip the deal!

F.C.
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »
I am kind of torn. I understand it's great for someone to get a nice profit off of a sale, but it doesn't help the hobby. I use what I have even though it is deemed collectible. As a somewhat new CL pilot I want to experience what others who have gone before have.

Maybe I am missing something, but $$$ does not equate to growth in the hobby. Our new engine choices are very limited and older (collectible) engines still fit the bill.

Just a thought, no offence intended.

Edit: I should add that my response was in regards to using Ebay as a price guide. I follow auctions regularily and I am often left deflated that the engines I would like to "use" quickly become way out of reach when the collectors start bidding. Ebay prices are driven by who wants it bad enough or who has the deepest pockets. Not a good place to search for a fair price.

I was wanting a K&B .15R for a speed build recently and I have no chance because the collectors like them too.

Ron

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:22:30 PM by Ron Cribbs »

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 09:19:17 AM »
Ron, eBay has changed a lot in the market place as far as "value" goes. As far as promoting the Hobby, that is an age old question. Some of the stuff in my "collection" is just stuff and other things are treasures... and I paid for them. Some were deals and some weren't. I look at collecting vs using differently these days. I used to collect just to collect, now every engine I get is one I would not be afraid to use... I even look at the Hobby differently. In the beginning if was all out of fun... now it is more or less what I consider "Performance Art"... The whole collector market is driven by one thing... finding a "gem" for dirt cheap. It has never been anything else. The search is part of the mystique.

Jim is right about old sparkers.. The Super Cyclone, Dooling, Elf, Orwicks, McCoys, OKs.... they are still highly desired.

"Nostalgia plays an important role in valuing collectibles. Many individuals begin collecting because they are trying to buy back part of their childhood or youth. Collecting provides a means of escape from admitting that they are getting old." Harry Rinker

Everything in the collector market has it's value set by three factors, the amount of people who DESIRE said item, the number of said items that actually go on the block and number of people who want said item within that space and time when the item is sold and what they are willing to pay. 

So where is a good place to find "fair prices"? I have sold and bought at hundreds of swap meets and Antiques Shows over the past 35-40 yrs. I still do estate sales... there is Craigslist... IMO, the best place to get deals on model stuff is from other modelers. I was at a show in Portland OR back in 2002 and saw a Cox fuel can with a price of $65 on it... and I began to wonder how the seller came up with the price? I made the remark, "there is no guide book for model airplane stuff" and I was approached by Peter Schiffer to write a book. At first I scoffed, then relented. 14 Months of research and writing went into my book. I didn't like the current "Value Guide" books on the market because they lacked "reverence". I wanted a book that was enjoyable all the time not just a dust collector reference book.

So my advice to you is this... How bad do you want the little K&B 15R? Here is what I do... I sell some of my lesser and easier to replace stuff to finance to harder pay for cool stuff. It's not about "profit" until you let your desire pay more than an item is actually worth... I have passed on 100s of cool things because the seller or bidding was silly... I have found stuff dirt cheap and sold it for obscene prices... I have lost money on many items... as far as using eBay as a price guide, if you buy on eBay, you are dealing within a group of some pretty knowledgeable and savvy buyers. So, it comes down to this, it's like fishing, there are only so many fish and there are only so many lines in the water at one time... eventually you will go to "river" and be the only one standing on the shore and that "fish" will be yours... I mean how many people want a 15R? Eventually, that group that wants one will get smaller and as desirability dwindles, prices drop. Collecting is a game, it is a lesson in patience, it teaches us about greed and human nature. Only you can decide what something is worth to you...

My dad taught me this... "There is more to fishing than catching fish." Modeling and collecting are the same way... it's about people, not everything that has value can be bought and not everything bought has value. My most treasured engines have names like Big Art, Big Jim, Tom Lay, Lee Woolard or even modelers long gone attached them.... most of all buy only things you will love or use and they will always be desirable to you and that is what counts... time is precious, there are a whole lot of us that "wished" we had bought something and passed on it because money got in the way... sometimes you have to throwout practicality and have fun. God knows how much money I have wasted on stupid junk... buy the 15R and stop thinking about money... and one day you will look back and know you went a different way... that's what modelers do... 

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 11:51:02 AM »
James,

You made many good points. Something to consider.

I admit I am on the cheap side. I don't have a ton of disposable income.

Anyway, my sincere apologies to the original poster for taking his thread in the wrong direction.

I hope you found the answer you needed.

Ron

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here