News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:08:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1958 Berkeley Lancer Combat  (Read 4718 times)

George Hostler

• Trade Count: (0)
1958 Berkeley Lancer Combat
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:29:06 AM »
Thanks to Pat King, who went through the special effort to scan in my plan, I've posted the plan to RC Groups for all to enjoy.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2252881#post29527392

It is full size, uses an I-beam spar wing with split ribs. I am told it was a very good flier in its day. Earlier in this forum, Pat King allude to creating and offering a kit, if there was sufficient interest to make worthwhile for him to do. In usual PDK style, he would add improvements to make it even more enjoyable.

If there is an interest in his effort, please let him know, also please express your interests in this thread. Who would buy a kit from him if he offered it?

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: 1958 Berkeley Lancer Combat
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 06:40:55 AM »
Thanks George!

What was the other control line profile that Berkeley advertised, the Interceptor?  Have you scanned the plans for that?

George Hostler

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 06:55:00 AM »
Scott, the Interceptor kit I have unfortunately doesn't come with a plan. Instead it is an instruction. One would have to create a plan first using the kit parts as a template, then have it scanned.

Might I add, Pat mentioned improvements it he were to do, which possibly included replacing the split ribs with more conventional ones  and a few other improvements to make it easier to assemble and more robust.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 08:52:23 AM »
without the split ribs  ( I - Beam )it would just be another smooth flying airplane,  the Interceptor was a cheap copy
rad racer

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 09:13:54 AM »
What was the Interceptor a copy of?

George Hostler

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 12:23:13 PM »
Without the split ribs  (I - Beam) it would just be another smooth flying airplane, 

Oh, I dunno, Bob. If construction is equal to or lighter in weight and the same airfoil profile is maintained to not affect aerodynamic performance, I imagine it would still fly the same. At any rate, the plan is available so one could reproduce the Lancer with split ribs and I-beam spar in all its former glory.  ;)

The Interceptor was a cheap copy

Interceptor doesn't appear to be a cheap copy of the Lancer. It seems to follow the proportions of the old S-1 Ringmaster with regard to area and similar thinner rib section, except wing appears to have a slight leading edge taper. In the instructions, what appears to be split ribs in the isometric drawing are simply the root wing ribs, which provides the foundational support for the rest of the wing. Rest of the ribs are standard 1/16" sheet. Wing root construction to fuselage is odd, in that the Interceptor's fuselage's penetration is only for the part from leading edge to spar. Split root ribs are butt joined to the fuselage sides, to support the back side of the wing.

In my remake of the Interceptor, I plan to make the fuselage as per standard practice of the times and as of today. That is to have the wing constructed in whole, to slide through a fuselage cutout the size of the wing profile at its center. This will also ensure a wing without warps. The Berkeley way was to construct the wing together with the fuselage, which makes things unnecessarily complicated.

Also dispense with the solid 3/8" thick red oak fuselage front. That bugger is heavy and unnecessary for flight. I plan on using standard hardwood engine beams and plywood planking on both sides of the front.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 12:35:42 PM »
I know this should go in the classified section, but ---

I have two Berkeley kits.  One is the Interceptor 15, the other is the Interceptor 35.  Both are complete, boxes are in good condition.  Copyright on both plans is 1960.  Make an offer for either one or both plus postage.

Keith

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 02:25:21 PM »
Was the Lancet a full-bodied stunt version or an unrelated design?

George Hostler

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 05:04:24 PM »
I know this should go in the classified section, but --- I have two Berkeley kits.  One is the Interceptor 15, the other is the Interceptor 35.  Both are complete, boxes are in good condition.  Copyright on both plans is 1960.  Make an offer for either one or both plus postage. Keith
I've got the complete Interceptor 35 kit box and all. A 1960 MAN ad stated one could build it in 42 minutes. That is a little aggressive for me. Good luck in finding someone wanting the boxes.

Was the Lancer a full-bodied stunt version or an unrelated design?
The Berkeley plan shows a profile fuselage design. On Stuka Stunt, Don Boka clarified it being designed by Art Poloski. I don't know if he designed other planes that became kitted by Berkeley. Don mentioned some cost savings measures done by Berkeley over Art's design and to be wary of the 3/8" thick profile fuselage. Perhaps Art's winning plane was full fuselage?

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 06:23:03 PM »
Several years ago in a issue of Stunt News there was article dedicated to the Lancet and Lancer, just can't remember which one?
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 07:15:35 PM »
. Perhaps Art's winning plane was full fuselage?

The Polasky won Combat at the Nats for him.  I doubt it was a full fuselage.  It is kind of neat though being an I beamer.  Too bad it was not before 1952.  It would make a terrific OTS model.

Keith

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »
Thanks to Pat King, who went through the special effort to scan in my plan, I've posted the plan to RC Groups for all to enjoy.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2252881#post29527392

It is full size, uses an I-beam spar wing with split ribs. I am told it was a very good flier in its day. Earlier in this forum, Pat King allude to creating and offering a kit, if there was sufficient interest to make worthwhile for him to do. In usual PDK style, he would add improvements to make it even more enjoyable.

If there is an interest in his effort, please let him know, also please express your interests in this thread. Who would buy a kit from him if he offered it?

Not to hijack the post but about two years ago I did a custom order for a Lancer for someone, so if you or Pat need laser cut parts feel free to let me know.
see attached
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 09:11:30 PM »
Seeing as how Walter has files for this airplane I will not be doing the drawings or offering kits.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

George Hostler

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »
Thanks, Walter for stepping up to the plate and letting all know you have already done this work. I don't think many if any knew that you already have done this. I didn't, and others who were interested apparently did not know either. Is it fair for me to ask what you charge, and what one would receive to enable them to re-create this plane?

Advertise Here

Advertise Here