News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1952 Nobler with larger inboard flap  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1952 Nobler with larger inboard flap
« on: February 20, 2021, 12:19:58 PM »
I have kind of the opposite issue to the poster with the Nobler that now has shorter inboard panel (until fixed) - a Brodak Original Nobler, 1952 version, with 2.5" longer inboard panel. The kit was blessed by Aldrich as being authentic to his original Nobler series. The model has full-span flaps, with inboard flap both 2.5" longer than outboard flap and also with a deeper chord by about .25", maybe 8 or so inches in area larger than outboard flap. Now, this goes against practice of last 40 or so years calling for larger outboard flap, even with equal or near-equal panels.

I am at point of attaching flaps and can easily still modify the configuration. Should I consider trimming the flaps to have equal area, or even add a tab to outer flap to make it larger than inboard flap? Or just finish it and fly it the way George did in 1952? I don't intend to fly this in OTS or Classic competition (I have other models that are fully legal) so the change to the flaps would be of no consequence. Anyone have experience with this design and an informed opinion about changing the flap area?

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: 1952 Nobler with larger inboard flap
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 12:24:45 PM »
I have kind of the opposite issue to the poster with the Nobler that now has shorter inboard panel (until fixed) - a Brodak Original Nobler, 1952 version, with 2.5" longer inboard panel. The kit was blessed by Aldrich as being authentic to his original Nobler series. The model has full-span flaps, with inboard flap both 2.5" longer than outboard flap and also with a deeper chord by about .25", maybe 8 or so inches in area larger than outboard flap. Now, this goes against practice of last 40 or so years calling for larger outboard flap, even with equal or near-equal panels.

I am at point of attaching flaps and can easily still modify the configuration. Should I consider trimming the flaps to have equal area, or even add a tab to outer flap to make it larger than inboard flap? Or just finish it and fly it the way George did in 1952? I don't intend to fly this in OTS or Classic competition (I have other models that are fully legal) so the change to the flaps would be of no consequence. Anyone have experience with this design and an informed opinion about changing the flap area?

What is the engine?   Some engines you might need to manufacture line tension, others not.

Brett

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 12:49:31 PM »
I know this is overkill but power will be LA46, possibly LA40. I don't expect low line tension due to lack of thrust. Prop will be APC 11.5 x 4 to start with on the 46.

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 09:56:55 PM »
No overkill is an .81

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 08:31:14 AM »
What is the story behind this "original Nobler" design.  I know it's said that George blessed it as being the original.  How does it fly in the stock out of the box condition.  I too would like to know if anyone ever the courage to fly it like the kit says?

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 09:26:28 AM »
It was good enough to kit that way, the design has flown many yrs and GMA blessed it. I suspect 99.999% of flyers would not be able to tell the difference in the non stock changes.
Bill P.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 06:06:38 PM »
What is the story behind this "original Nobler" design.  I know it's said that George blessed it as being the original.  How does it fly in the stock out of the box condition.  I too would like to know if anyone ever the courage to fly it like the kit says?

Ted said his flew really well, until it encountered the 245/45R18 tire.

Brett

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 06:16:41 PM »
To pass time during the recent Texas wx and "Rolling Blackouts",  LB and Ol'D watched re-runs of that Nobler thriller.
The best ever, Jerry, the BEST!

dg

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 04:43:59 AM »
Wasn't it hard to watch during the blackouts? We had to watch our TV by candle light!  >:D

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 02:13:36 PM »
 When the power was on, we watched reruns. When the power went off, we soldered burst pipes with propane, leadless solder, and BB approved flux.

Big Dan T gave a good tutorial how this is done, but, I forgot the part about steam being produced and blew the copper cap into low orbit....must be careful!

Now, back to the subject...the wing that hangs on our mailbox is that of a "Green Box" Nobler, built in 1960. The inboard wing flap is 22 1/4" and the outboard flap is 21 1/4". Both measure 3" at the root. This was a very good flying plane with a Fox 36. It weighed in at about 48 oz. with a somewhat large sheet metal trim tab on the bottom of the outboard flap. I flew it at Hobby Park and the "Man" had no negative comment...

Hope this helps, Frank,
dg

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 05:09:34 PM »
When the power was on, we watched reruns. When the power went off, we soldered burst pipes with propane, leadless solder, and BB approved flux.

Big Dan T gave a good tutorial how this is done, but, I forgot the part about steam being produced and blew the copper cap into low orbit....must be careful!

Now, back to the subject...the wing that hangs on our mailbox is that of a "Green Box" Nobler, built in 1960. The inboard wing flap is 22 1/4" and the outboard flap is 21 1/4". Both measure 3" at the root. This was a very good flying plane with a Fox 36. It weighed in at about 48 oz. with a somewhat large sheet metal trim tab on the bottom of the outboard flap. I flew it at Hobby Park and the "Man" had no negative comment...

Hope this helps, Frank,
dg

When soldering on "live" copper lines with water in them, shut off supply, and open all the faucets in the house. If you have a basement, open those first so that when you open the others any residual water will drain down hill. It can take a while for it all to work it's way down. If there is a nuisance amount or water that is still trickling , get things ready to solder, and then stuff a wad of bread up the pipe to dam it off and then quickly solder the joint. The bread will soon dissolve and water will flow again. Sorry that all my friends in Texas are having to deal with this, but I know you guys can handle it!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 07:08:46 PM »
  Ted said his flew really well, until it encountered the 245/45R18 tire.

Brett

Brett, What was Ted doing putting a 245/45R18 tires on his nobler anyway!?

Cheers, Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here