News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:40:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1946 photo - Is this a Stanzel design?  (Read 913 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
1946 photo - Is this a Stanzel design?
« on: October 03, 2022, 03:30:13 PM »
The leadouts are on the right side of the model and the photo is labeled as 1946. If it's not a Stanzel design does any recognize it? the model was built in San Franciso area if that helps

Thanks,
Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1946 photo - Is this a Stanzel design?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 05:16:40 PM »
   Doesn't look like anything I ever saw Stanzel put out. It resembles their Shark but it isn't that design. I have a video of the Stanzel history that I'll have to watch and see what it has. I can't see the controls but if it has a bell crank in it, then it's not a Stanzel product. They were pitching their monoline system in competition to the Jim Walker American Junior "U-Control" bell crank and pushrod system. The Walker patent was in effect at that time, and kits usually didn't include anything for controls or mentioned the term "U-Control" or they would have to pay Walker a royalty. He had a patent on the system and the term "U-Control."  Plans in both kits and magazines just called out for the builder to "use your favorite control system."  There were all kinds of contraptions used to try and control the elevators or flaps on the wings. I had an old kit of the Comet "Lil Schmoe" 1/2A model that had a sort of bell crank mounted right at the wing tip and a wire push rod that traveled through a curved length of small diameter aluminum tubing to the elevator. Carl Goldberg designed a model for Top Flite called the "Whizzer" that used flaps on the wing to sort of control pitch to by pass the Walker patent. I think there is lots more info in Dave Thornburgs book, "do You Speak Model Airplane."
  Type at you later,
 Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 05:47:40 PM »
There were any pictures that revealed the control system so I have no idea what the model had. But the leadout or leadouts were on the right side of the model.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 06:35:35 PM »
The leadouts are on the right side of the model and the photo is labeled as 1946. If it's not a Stanzel design does any recognize it? the model was built in San Franciso area if that helps

Thanks,
Fred

At first glance, I thought it might be the Scientific Atomic designed by Leon Shulman.  Same size, same basic configuration. But it is not.  I have a complete Atomic kit with full size plans.  The wings are almost triangular with a straight LE, really swept forward TE with rounded tips, a more pronounced bubble canopy.  Has the inverted engine with LG well forward, almost to the propeller.  Shows "Install your own control unit".  It is a "Class B Control Line Champion".   Plans do not show a copyright date.

Kieth
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 11:41:41 PM by Trostle »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 07:44:27 PM »
Its a Rip Snorter .

Well . It looks like one , anyway .
We wont mention the shopping center full off the current grey porridge of the ' automotive artform ' or is that architecture . or sausage machine .

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 09:28:01 PM »
   In looking at it again, I'll wager it had a nice 1:1 glide ratio when the engine quit!
 Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 03:58:17 PM »
None of the pictures I have showed the controls, you can see items on the right side for the controls and yes it probably would glide like a brick.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here