News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:13:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A Twister Report  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Phil Coopy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
1/2A Twister Report
« on: May 31, 2006, 07:45:53 PM »
Last March I posted on a 1/2A 50% Twister that I was in the process of building...well as I showed earlier, it got built. The process was to take a set of SIG Twister plans reduced to half and build a 1/2A stunt ship. The wing is simple webbed 1/8 spars with a 1/2" square leading edge sanded round and a 1/4 square trailing edge. I retained the same airfoil but reduced the number of ribs to 16 from 1/16th balsa. Fuse is from 1/4 medium hard balsa without doublers, chopped off 1 1/2 in front of the leading edge with the usual 1/8 ply firewall glued to a balsa blocks cox style mounting. The balsa flaps are active and I used 1/8 sheet for the flap/stab/elev to accomodate smallest Robart hinges.  Power is a Black Widow turned on its side on 25% Omega and a MAS 6-4 prop.  In its current configuration with $kote covering it weighs 7.65oz. and probably could be built a bit lighter. I am currently flying it on 40' lines. I tried 50' lines earlier but it felt a little loose so I cut back to 40", increased the right engine thrust a little, and that made it flyable in reasonable winds. I have 1/4oz tip weight on at this time and it has saved my a-- a couple of times on windy days. I am not an expert flyer but in my opinion this plane is a great flyer and a worthwile project. Cheap, easy to build, and works like charm.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 09:45:31 PM by PHIL COOPY »

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here