News:

• April 16, 2024, 01:33:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2 A lines  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2 A lines
« on: March 04, 2006, 07:19:39 PM »
What are people using for 1/2 A lines these days?  I have some 20 year old dacron that I probably shouldn't use.  Length suggestions are welcome.  Russell
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
Re: 1/2 A lines
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 08:16:42 PM »
i am flying with 47' .008 braided planes are stunt man 23 norvell 049 and brodak baby clown same motor. works great . hope that helps. i am no expert at stunt you may wait to see some of the other posts from the big boys.
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 06:26:17 AM »
I've been using Spiderwire fishing line for a few years now...lengths from 35' (weak reed valve engines) all the way up to 52' (Norvel .061 in my LittleAxe stunter).  I've never had a problem with Spiderwire failing but another modeller reported that he did, on the first flight, so I hesitate to recommend it any more. Use at your own risk, I guess...I still use it.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 07:25:37 AM »
I've been using Spiderwire fishing line for a few years now...lengths from 35' (weak reed valve engines) all the way up to 52' (Norvel .061 in my LittleAxe stunter).  I've never had a problem with Spiderwire failing but another modeller reported that he did, on the first flight, so I hesitate to recommend it any more. Use at your own risk, I guess...I still use it.

--Ray

Hi Ray,
I, too, use Spiderwire.  The fact that it is fishing line and needs to be tied correctly might be the problem the person experienced.  I have never had a breakage problem.  As you know, it is a lot less fussy than steel lines with handling and storage problems. 
I can't remember the breaking strength I use, guess I will have to find the spool and see!  ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 03:43:13 PM »
Yeah, I forgot to mention that...the Palomar fisherman's knot is what I use, a standard knot causes the line to pull against itself and cut itself.  Kind of an important detail I guess, If a guy intends to try the stuff.

I'm using 14-lb line that is claimed to be "8- lb. test diameter".  I don't know what they measure that against, or whose 8- lb. line it's the same diameter as. (Don't criticize the grammar, you get my point).  seeing that a really strong 1/2A might pull, what, 2-3 lbs.?, I think that's safe...I've never broken a line in normal circumstances, only when a heavy plane cut across the circle and hit the end; also broke one arm off the bellcrank.  I've even used Spiderwire for combat, and had it kill a Black Widow that got into the lines...took a while to unwrap/untangle them from the prop and shaft, and the lines were frayed so badly I threw them away, but they were intact.  Try that with your .008 steelies!

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 04:54:12 PM »
I have used Spyder wire also with good results. I have had a few sets of Sig and Sullivan .008 stainless but they just don't last very long with the type of flying (sport stunt over grass / weeds) we do.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here