News:

• June 15, 2024, 12:12:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to C/L  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Tom Blodgett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
New to C/L
« on: December 13, 2007, 03:29:32 AM »
Hi,

I am considering entering the sport of C/L aerobatics. I have been involved in model aviation since I was 8 years old. I am now 48. For most of my adult life, I have been involved in the R/C area of model aviation. I flew mainly "scale" and "pattern". I have found myself somewhat "bored" with that area of the sport and I am looking for something a little different for myself, this is leading me toward C/L flying. I have Little to no experience with C/L flying and would like your opinions on what kit I might build for my first stunt plane? I am interested in using a .40 size engine for this first plane. Any comments or advise would be a great help.

Thank you,

Tom

AMA 52863
AMA 52863 (Since 1974)

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
Re: New to C/L
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 04:08:25 AM »
Hi Tom

I would recommend something like a SIG Twister, Sterling Ringmaster or a Top Flite Flite Streak and use a OS 25 or .30 4 stroke.  I have Saito 30s on my Twister and Ringmaster and they fly beautifully.  These are all profile fuselage and excellent for learning the pattern. 

Then once you are happy that you can fly the pattern, move on up to a full fuselage 35/40 powered model like a Nobler or something similar or whatever takes your fancy.

Cheers
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 05:43:55 AM »
I would suggest you Google Sig, Brodak, and RSM. They have a lot or reasonable priced planes in the 40 category which would suit you. Also check out the vendor categories below for other kit suppliers.

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 05:48:42 AM »
I would suggest you Google Sig, Brodak, and RSM. They have a lot or reasonable priced planes in the 40 category which would suit you. Also check out the vendor categories below for other kit suppliers.

Or just go straight to www.SSHobbies.com where they sell all three of those brands online at very good prices plus a whole lot more.  Joe and Sebra are very good people and they will look after you... and please tell them I sent you.  :)
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 08:23:37 AM »
Tom, First of let me say welcome to C/L and this forum. This is the best forum on the web for C/L information. You can get good advice from world class builders and fliers here.

Unfortunately I am neither of these. I am more like the unofficial site clown. I had not flown C/L for 35 years up until a year ago. I had never got in to RC. I got together with a bunch of RC fliers that had either never or not for a long time flown C/L. We had a great time last summer.

In order to get back in quickly and easily I bought a Flite Streak ARF and put an old Fox .35 on it. I crashed it numerous times in relearning, but it is still going after many patch ups. Since then I have scratch built a Tomahawk and a Ringmaster and a couple of kits.

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 08:52:41 AM »
Tom
Welcome to the wonderful world of Control Line!!   You wil find a lot of good information here...   There have been some good comments about planes to build and suppliers noted.  My comment would be to try to find some other CL fliers or club in your area to get the hands on help.   Makes it a lot more fun!!
As Keith noted, they found a group of people that really got interested and are having a great time.   y1
Jim
PS  Keith may make light of his skills, but you oughta see the machine work he does.  Awesome!!!!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 09:13:12 AM »
Tom,

If you've never flown or only flown a bit, I would suggest you get an ARF to begin with. You can learn to fly on that while you build your own unit. Saves a lot of stress. You splat an ARF, no big deal. Either repair it or just grab another one. When you build something, the emotional investment can be tough when it goes in. A good choice is the Brodak P-40. Good, 40 sized plane.

Just suggestions.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 09:27:59 AM »
Tom,
Lot's of good advice can be found here on this site. Everyone on this board will help you in one way or the other. If your zip code is correct in your weather map, I think there is a group of guys in your area.
I am retread and my son and I have been at this a few years. Here is my 2 cents.

ARF's will get you in the air quick. But will not take much abuse. There is a plane called a U-Key. It is butt ugly, but builds quick and will take more of a pounding. There are a few things you can do to beef it up even more. Someone just posted the mods here the other day. It is a trainer, but can be setup to do the beginner pattern.
Be sure to take some 5 min expoxy to the field, along with CA.

One other thing you can do is before you go fly for the first time. Spend a few days just turning around in your back yard. (to the left) Someone suggested it to me a few years ago. When my wife saw me she asked what the heck I was doing. I said I was getting use to getting dizzy. It works. n~

Paul  H^^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Rollin Keszler

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 09:43:39 AM »
Tom:
Welcome.  Lots of good airplanes available but the best advice is from Jim Lee: find someone who is presently flying control-line.  I'm sure you would agree a newcomer to RC should not try to start without help, so too should you try to find a partner for the critical first phase of control-line flying.  There's a tremendous amount to learn regarding lines, handles, fuel, props, engine settings, and all the other small things that are similar but different in this aspect of modeling.  None of this is difficult, it's just different.  There are members of this forum scattered all over the country and perhaps we can put you in touch with a flying partner.  Besides, it's more fun than flying alone.

It's really fun and it will really impress your friends at the RC field when you show them what you can do with "a rock on a string"!

RK
'way up in North Alabama (but still in Dixie!)

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 09:46:53 AM »

Offline Tom Blodgett

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
WOW!!! Thanks to all of you for your comments and advise. I think I will try to find some others in my local area and contact them to see where and when they might be flying. As you can probably tell, I am real excited about getting into this area of flying. I certainly have alot to learn and it appears that I just might be in the right forum!!! Again, thanks to all for your replies!!!

Tom
AMA 52863 (Since 1974)

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 10:56:52 AM »
Tom, I'm in a similar situation having flown R/C for many years. I started CL this year with a Strega Arf. I shortly switched to a Flite Streak Arf(s) with an OS 25LA or 20FP. It was a lot less stressful knowing I could replace or repair the plane for peanuts (compared to what I was used to) and get back in the air quickly. You can get the airplanes and motors from Tower for ~ $50 apiece. Get a couple of them so you don't lose time to repairing and rebuilding. Get a couple of sets of lines so if they kink or break you are not shut down. The Flite Streak is a low stress flyer and gets you in the air cheap and quick and it will do all of the manuevers. You can fly it while you work on a larger plane. It is a very challenging sport, I learn something new every time I go out. I'm sure you will enjoy it too. Don't be afraid to ask for advice ask you probably know there is no shortage of it with most modelers.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Alan Hahn

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 11:11:37 AM »
One quick comment, if you do get the Flite Streak Arf, balance it right behind the leading edge, and not as far back as the instruction sheet says ~^. It might be cheap, but one lap before planting in in could still be discouraging! It is so light, I fly mine with a Fox 15BB. As mentioned, a LA or FP 20-25 is a good choice too.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 11:30:50 AM »
Here in the Northwest we have had a lot of new flyers that started out with ARF's. I believe the Flite Streak is probably the best. It will do the complete pattern with a LA25 engine. I think you will like it enough to learn most of your stunts on. The 25 takes very little breakin before you fly it. You may even like this plane enough to build it from a kit. Another ArF that is good is the Primar Force. It is in the Fox 35 class and a very good flyer. From there a Sig Twister With a 35 for power. I am even offering a plane that is a entry level stunter. In any case the control line guy's are a great bunch of guy's and they will be willing to help you in any way you want.Welcome to controline and a whole new concept to your modeling. H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ HB~>
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:24:28 PM by Leo Mehl »

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 11:41:27 AM »
Thats a good pickup about the CG , luckily I searched the boards for info and changed that before flying. I also cut down a small r/c aluminum landing gear into two profile style struts which fasten to the sides of the fuselage to replace the single wheel with a two wheel setup.  The single wheel works but has a tendency to twist on landing which can and has made the next takeoff less successful. The airplane will fly out of the box though with the CG correction.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 11:51:08 AM »
FWIW, I jsut started back into control line last year. before that it was 1980? I am a HUGE believer in the Brodak P-40 as a great learning airplane. However for just breaking ground and getting started, the Ukey is awesome, It flies honestlly and there isnt much that you will do to it that you cant fix with 5 min epoxy at the feild. I have one that I have repaired many times and it still flies well. then after you get some conficence get something made from balsa whether it be an ARF flight streak or the Brodak P-40. for a 40 size the P-40 is a really hot ticket, just look for the post about adding dihedral to the wing
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 11:57:26 AM »
If you hook up with some experienced CL guys you may well find one who will have a trainer you can use for first flights.  (I have four of them.)  If you have not flown before, it will really help to have someone hold your hand for the first few laps and take the airplane back when you get dizzy. 

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 12:46:04 PM »
Good words Jim,, I didnt have that luxury, no one around her flies control line, closest being 100 miles
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 01:49:20 PM »
Tom; you are way ahead of the game having been in modeling so many years. I too have been modeling since I was 8 years old. I went from C/L to R/C in the late 60's and flew R/C pattern for 25 years. About 18 years ago I started flying C/L again. What a blast. I had forgotten how much fun it was. I still fly a little R/C, mostly old time FF with old spark ign. motors. You will really get a rush, the first time you get a C/L plane in the air and flying. The feel of the plane tugging on the lines is just something you can only experience with this kind of flying. Since you already have building skills, aerodynamics understanding, it will be much easier for you than for someone with neither.
Jim Kraft

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 01:52:08 PM »
I have not heard a peep from Frank C. in awhile, and I think he is in your neck of the woods.

Good luck Tom and welcome.

Now the real fun starts.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
Tom, I looked at the 2004 PAMPA reference manual and 73 members are listed from Ohio.  If you can't find some one to fly with, I'd suggest contacting the AMA Control Line Stunt Contest Board member from your district and see what you can find out.  I taught myself to fly control line and I do not recommend that avenue to anyone. 

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 06:49:23 PM »
  Jim,  I believe zip code 483xx is in MI and probably close to Detroit.  I think there may be several good modelers in that area.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 08:17:51 PM »
Copied it down as 433XX.  Sorry about that. 

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 08:21:34 AM »
  Jim,  I believe zip code 483xx is in MI and probably close to Detroit.  I think there may be several good modelers in that area.

Bigiron

Bigiron, not to upstage ya, but, clicked on the weather icon and it shows Milford, MI.  48380.  MERRY CHRISTMAS, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 09:12:56 AM »
  Well doc--- isn't that in the "Detroit area" ?  about 40 miles NE from downtown Detroit is  "the Detroit area" in my book.  So I'm not upstaged.

bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Tom Blodgett

• New Pilot
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 10:05:37 AM »
Yes, you are correct, I live 40 NE of Detroit. I am trying to find some flyer's in that area, does anyone know of a C/L  clubs that is in that area?

Thanks,

Tom
AMA 52863 (Since 1974)

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 12:35:01 PM »
Doing it right, I get 12 folks in the 483xx zip in the 2004 PAMPA manual.  I'd say check the AMA website for clubs in the area. 

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 07:11:34 AM »
While we are on the subject, I live in 34113, naples, fl. and am seeking people to fly with. Thanks, Bob

Offline KEITH McCRARY

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 07:09:34 AM »
Tom, I live in Detroit 7 Mile and Kelly. The club I belong to is the Michigan Signal Seekers, we have a flying sight in Westland at Michigan and Henry Ruff.
Our Christmas Party is tonight (12/19/07) at 7:00. See website for directions. You are welcome to attend.

http://www.michsignalseekers.com/

Keith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here