News:

• April 24, 2024, 04:24:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: (Bob LampioneNo subject)  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Neal Beekman

• AMA65006 (Neal B.)
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Neal Beekman (AMA65006)
(Bob LampioneNo subject)
« on: December 06, 2018, 12:25:11 PM »
 :(Please pray for Bob Lampione, he is in Flushing Hospice, not looking good.
Neal Beekman

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
Re: (Bob LampioneNo subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 01:04:12 PM »
Yes indeed Bob will be in my prayers.
Neal also I sent you a PM.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 03:15:18 PM »
Oh No!  This is not good.  Champione is the best!
Steve

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 07:32:25 PM »
I little piece of me just broke off and shattered--------- never to be replaced
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 09:01:46 PM »
What a Voice and wit! I'll certainly add him to my prayer list. Darn thing is getting way too long.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 09:17:00 PM »
This is a shock to me, I knew Bob when I flew in Flushing Park. I now live in Va. but I still think back on flying sessions and contests he would attend with his Red White and Blue outfit. A true gentleman. His designs and flying expertise was something to experience. He will truly be missed, always a kind word being around Bob. His nickname "Bob Champion" says it all. This is tough. A true "CHAMPION".  Piece will follow you, level flight forever. Prayers for you my friend.-----Louie

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 06:04:33 AM »
Like Les' post above, this news leaves me shattered as well. I've known Bob since 1965 when we all flew together on the North East contest circuit. Bob was Gene Shaffer's side kick, and I was Bill Simons' protege. Naturally Bob and I would root for our respective buddies to win. Gene took the majority of the wins, but Bill did get a few here and there. Then, in the early spring of 1969, Bob boldly announced to all of us East Coasters that he was going to win the upcoming Nats in Willow Grove. Of course none of us took him very seriously; he'd always placed behind Gene and Bill at the local meets. How in the world could he elevate to win the Nats?

Bob had produced an absolutely stunning F-86 Sabre Jet stunter for that season. His building and finishing skills were always very good, but this ship showed us all that Bob had achieved a level of craftsmanship and finishing that was far above anything we had seen from him before. And, the same held true for his flying skills. He started the season with a win, and just kept on winning; taking every local and regional contest (and there were many in those days...) heading up to the Nats.

The 1969 Nats was ripe with top level talent. All the "big boys" were there, and when the smoke had almost cleared, it was Bob with the last flight of the Nats who had a chance to best them all. Al Rabe was sitting in first as Bob brought his gleaming Sabre to the line. The wind had increased to a point where we all thought there was no way for Bob to fulfill his early spring prediction of a Nats win. Well, the record shows that Bob not only won that Nats, but he also went on to win every contest on the East Coast that year. An undefeated season in one of the toughest areas for Stunt competition, and a Nats and Walker Trophy win as the icing on top of the cake. The sight of all his friends and competitors hoisting Bob onto their shoulders after his Nats win will forever be a freeze frame in time for me. Bob had set the standard for the East Coasters that day, and no one would ever be able to take that away from him. He was now Bob Champione! And a nicer guy never existed.

I, like everyone else here, am praying for Bob and hoping for a miracle to happen.

Bob Hunt     

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 06:10:17 AM »
Most importantly, "Champione" is a GREAT GUY....always fun.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 06:22:37 AM »
Here's the photo of Bob Lampione in his shop working on his Sabre Jet that was the lead shot in his article about the plane in Flying Models magazine.

I remember that shop very well...

Bob Hunt

Online Doug Stout

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »
In the early 1970s while flying as a Senior in precision aerobatics with the northeast group, I had the fortunate pleasure of meeting and watch Bob fly.  His designs were a big influence on me when I designed my first competitive stunt plan in 1974, the Apparition, where my fin/rudder and fuselage tail end reflected Bob's F-86 and Vulcan designs.  In my current hobby, I still use a version of the Air Force Thunderbird D color layout.  God Speed my friend and thank you for your influence on me during my early years in model aviation.

Doug
"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."

Offline Neal Beekman

• AMA65006 (Neal B.)
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 01:09:24 PM »
Bob is still holding his stunt Handel.
Neal Beekman

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 06:42:51 PM »
God Speed my friend, keep the wind at your back and tight lines.

Mike Pratt

Offline Neal Beekman

• AMA65006 (Neal B.)
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 05:09:27 PM »
Bob is still holding his stunt handel but has a fever now.
Neal Beekman

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 05:13:02 PM »
I just pray he is not suffering.   :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steven Mac Bride

• New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 11:37:37 PM »
Bob is in my prayers. I have known him for a long time and miss his contests in Flushing Meadow Park.
Every contest started singing the STAR SPANGLED BANNER after the pilots meeting.
A true good friend.

Offline Al Takatsch

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 03:35:45 AM »
I miss the guys at Flushing Meadows Park, their dedication to flying and learning was an inspiration. Bob always was a bright light showing how much fun the hobby can be even if it got a bit technical. Thanks Bob

Al Takatsch
Wilson, NC

Offline Jim Damerell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 07:48:26 AM »
I am very sad to report that Bob has finished his last flight on this earth, and moved on. He passed peacefully in Hospice last night around 10 PM. Services will be at the Quinn Funeral Home, 19215 Northern Blvd. Queens, NY. Sunday viewing from 2-5, and 7-9. Church Services will follow on Monday, details still being worked out. Bob has been a mentor for me these past 50 or so years, and I will miss him dearly. May God's peace and understanding be with us all.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:04:27 AM by Jim Damerell »

Offline Sina Goudarzi

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 08:25:29 AM »
It's such a sad news,

I am going to miss Champione
Sina

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 08:33:14 AM »
The end of an era...

May God's Peace and Mercy be with Bob and all of us indeed.

Bob Hunt

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 08:57:01 AM »
Fly High Bob!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 11:13:31 AM »
 Bob was one of my favorites growing up and seeing at contests in the northeast. I’ll always cherish the memories and times I got to spend with him at those meets
Matt Colan

Offline Steven Mac Bride

• New Pilot
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 07:53:20 PM »
That is very sad news. My father and i were very good friends of Bob for many years.I will always have many great memories of him.
Every contest started with a prayer and the star spangled banner from all contestants.
He has always been a great supporter to the hobby and helpful in every way.
A true modeler . Bob you will be missed. God Bless and rest in peace.
You are the CHAMPIONE.

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2018, 06:42:54 AM »
This is really sad news. He was good person and he was always telling great stunt stories.

We will miss Bob “Champione” Lampione.

May he Rest In Peace

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2018, 08:01:23 AM »
Bobs attitude and dedication to our hobby will surly be missed, Gods speed Bob.----Louie

Offline Reuben MacBride

• Ensign
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 10:03:00 AM »
Bob Robert E Lampione1969 Nats Champion in Pampa Stunt.. Bob Designed the United plane that is Kitted by Brodak now. I flew at his contest in Flushing many of times. He always had us sing the the star spangle banner at the pilots meeting. He will be missed. Another great pilot has left us.

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2018, 10:57:44 AM »
A regular at the  annual Memorial Day Union Model Airplane Club  Meet (AAA)  during the 60s and early 70s.
An affable guy who will be missed.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2018, 01:43:14 PM »
Met Bob at the 69 NATs, really during the Walker Flyoff.  Wasn't until much later I learned about him, "calling his shot" that year.  I do not remember the year exactly, (possibly 1971 or 72) he was flying an airplane with a visibly flexible stab - he told me he put a worm gear in the middle to make it behave like a V-stab whenever he gave it control.  Told the story in such a way that you HAD to believe it!  MANY years later it was fun listening to his stories after hours at Brodak Fly In.! A real character, the kind of guy you really hope you can see at the contest - bet you guys out east have a lot more stories about Bob that you can tell - and I will still be eating them up...

God Speed Champione!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Chris Damerell

• Control Line Spouse
  • New Pilot
  • Hubby's out flyin' again.
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 02:29:49 PM »
The funeral home has set up a memorial page for Bob.  If you scroll down the page, you can leave a message for Bob's family.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/flushing-ny/robert-lampione-8087809#remembering
Chris Damerell
aka
Mrs UkeeJim

Offline Ron Varnas

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2018, 06:02:59 AM »
Sad news indeed,swapped a few mails with Bob years ago on his gorgeous silver PM Classic,
nice guy, master builder with great sense of humour.

Condolences to the Lampione family

Ron Varnas ( Australia)
RJV Melb. Australia

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Pics of Bob
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2018, 05:19:01 AM »
These from Joe Adamusko

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 06:00:37 AM »
The wake for Bob was yesterday in Queens, New York. Jim Damerell was most kind in providing transportation for me into the city on a very rainy and nasty day. I have never liked driving in the city, and now that I'm getting older I really don't like it. Jim is very good at what I call "combat driving." That skill is a must if you want to survive in New York City traffic... Naturally we reminisced a lot about the early days when we all flew together at Flushing Meadows flying field during the ride.

We went to the early session at the funeral home, and found Vic Macaluso and his wife, Diane already there, along with Joe Daly. Many other modeling friends of Bob attended the later session that evening. And, again a lot of stories were retold about the adventures at the Flushing Meadows field. Bob's "called shot" of winning the 1969 Nats story was also retold. I had found an old Flying Models magazine in which Bob's United article appeared, and I gave that to Bob's widow, Loraine. She had a number of old photos of Bob with his planes on display. 

I guess there are no "happy endings," but there was certainly a lot of love in that room for our departed friend. I can picture him walking out on the flying field in heaven and setting his F-86 down in line to fly with Gene Shaffer, Bob Gieseke, Lew McFarland, Bob Palmer, Harold Price, Jim Kostecky, Mario Rondinelli, Davey Slagle, Dave Cook, Red Reinhardt, an all the other fliers who have passed on. Imagine the stories that they are retelling to each other...

God Speed Bob; you were one of a kind.

Bob Hunt

Offline Chris Damerell

• Control Line Spouse
  • New Pilot
  • Hubby's out flyin' again.
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2018, 08:02:55 AM »
My first thought when I heard the news, was that Bobby and Joe Ortiz were having a grand old time, being together again.

And yes, Jimmy is very good at "combat driving.  He's had years of practice.  LOL!!
Chris Damerell
aka
Mrs UkeeJim

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2018, 10:16:30 AM »
I think I met him at one of the VSC's.  Not much the old DOC can add that hasn't been said already, except I wonder if he knew how well he was liked. :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Neal Beekman

• AMA65006 (Neal B.)
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2018, 05:12:22 PM »
Bob sddress149-22Cherry Ave,Flushing N.Y. 11355 For Mass Cards
Neal Beekman

Advertise Here
Tags: prayer for bob 

Advertise Here