News:

• May 17, 2024, 02:21:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Red Tails."  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
"Red Tails."
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:44:09 PM »
I don't know if I can wait until January.
Norm

Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
Re: "Red Tails."
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:48:52 PM »
DITTO!!!!!!! #^
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:53:12 PM »
Agreed, That is a must see. The recognition of those flyers is sooo long over due.
AMA 7544

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:09:12 AM »
Tuskage Airmen ?

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 06:57:50 AM »
Dang...that's gonna be a goodern no doubt. Too bad we don't have more movies like that! I could watch them continuously. Watched Top Gun at least 20 times! ;D
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 09:14:21 AM »
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 10:29:18 AM »
Another computor generated movie.  The aerial scenes don't look real.   Too bad they can't use some of the actual footage.  The "Tuskegee Airmen" were a great group of young men that never got enough recognition.  Anyway I hope the movie is/will be worth the wait.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:45:38 AM »
Won't make me much difference if it's done in dreamscape, I'm gonna watch it and enjoy it. One of my emerging favorite actors is Cuba Gooding Jr. who played in "Radio"
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 12:09:03 PM »
Another computor generated movie.  The aerial scenes don't look real.   Too bad they can't use some of the actual footage.  The "Tuskegee Airmen" were a great group of young men that never got enough recognition.  Anyway I hope the movie is/will be worth the wait.   H^^

Yeah, the sky's a little crowded but it was "shot" that way because of the screen effect - fitting everything into a rectangle.
I will say this, the scenes look way better than the remake "Pearl Harbor", Those flight scenes were pretty lame.
Best CGI?   Band of Brothers - DC-3/ Glider Paradrop scenes!
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »
While I didn't go, as I was too tired after teaching kids to fly control line all day, George Lucas was at Oshkosh talking about the movie. 

So some of you control lines come to Oshkosh next year, so I can get some time at the show OK?

http://www.airventure.org/news/2011/110729_gathering.html
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 07:16:12 PM »
The local angle is that the Red Tailed P-51 seen in the movie was built by a S.F. Bay Area model builder who has a retirement career building models for use in films. He also built a B-17 for the film. Some are flyable, some are static only; doesn't matter once the 3-D object is digitalized. Our modeler presented the Mustang to Cuba Gooding when they were done with it.

The "flying" scenes in the film Top Gun were largely filmed on a ridge in the East Bay Hills, with model jets on sticks for the cameras. Lucasfilms is a Bay Area company and does much of the work here.

Can anyone think of a film more recent than Tora!Tora!Tora! that used REAL airplanes rather than computer generated images? That was like 40 years ago.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 07:35:26 PM »
Looks great!  The flying looked a little more realistic in this preview than Pearl Harbor where the planes were shooting at each other from 10 feet away...
Matt Colan

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 04:58:55 AM »
The local angle is that the Red Tailed P-51 seen in the movie was built by a S.F. Bay Area model builder who has a retirement career building models for use in films. He also built a B-17 for the film. Some are flyable, some are static only; doesn't matter once the 3-D object is digitalized. Our modeler presented the Mustang to Cuba Gooding when they were done with it.

The "flying" scenes in the film Top Gun were largely filmed on a ridge in the East Bay Hills, with model jets on sticks for the cameras. Lucasfilms is a Bay Area company and does much of the work here.

Can anyone think of a film more recent than Tora!Tora!Tora! that used REAL airplanes rather than computer generated images? That was like 40 years ago.

The great Waldo Pepper.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 07:38:09 AM »
"The great Waldo Pepper."

One of the greatest and most enjoyable movies ever, with or without planes!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »
My personal favorite is "Flyboys".
Great airial scenes and beautiful aircraft.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »
"Magnificient Men in their Flying Machines"...now there's a classic, funny too. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 09:22:50 PM »
There was an HBO movie years bACK " tHE tUSKEGEE AIRMEN " that was well done.
Bob
ama 5871

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 09:52:41 PM »
There was an HBO movie years bACK " tHE tUSKEGEE AIRMEN " that was well done.
Bob

That was done in 1995. Cuba Gooding Jr. was in that one too.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 06:48:34 AM »
I agree with the Great Waldo Pepper. That was such a great movie, and lots of old planes and cars along with a good story. Another good one was the Battle of Britain. It had some great photography. Oh! One more, The Blue Max.
Jim Kraft

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 06:59:45 AM »
I saw a little bit of an animated thing about the red tails on TV.  I thought it was really bad and about as racist as one could get.  Did not spend much time with it. 

Offline Sam Feinstein

• New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 12:16:31 PM »
This movie looks promising. I also heard there is going to be a remake of the Dam Busters. 8)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 01:12:48 PM »
At the last Fullerton Airport open house I had the good fortune of meeting and talking with one of the remaining Tuskegee airman.  When I served in the Air Force in Thailand 67-68 we were in 13th Airforce serving under the command Lt. General Benjamin O. Davis the leader of the Tuskegee Airmen.  I mentioned that to the gentleman, and he said "Oh Benny Davis I knew him OK." It still send chills up my spine, I ended our meeting with a proper military salute it was an honor.
Andy Borgogna
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 04:15:56 PM »
The other local angle is that we have a permanent exhibit dedicated to the Tuskegee Airmen and the Red Tail Squadron at North Field, Oakland CA, the same airport and art deco terminal used by Amelia Earhart on her flights. I too had the honor of meeting several of the Red Tail pilots about ten years ago at a ceremony there.

How could I have overlooked Waldo Pepper? I am willing to forgive Ernst for flying a Bucker Jungmeister in his airshow routine, a plane from the late 1930s, since the flying was so good and the replica WWI aircraft so authentic. Fokker DRIII and maybe a Nieuport or Scout? One of  my favorites too.

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 05:23:52 PM »
   I actually worked on a portion of the aerial photography for  The Great Waldo Pepper . In 1974 Universal came to Sebring Fl. to use the small airport there . They wanted white puffy clouds as back grounds and Florida has plenty of those .  I was one of four assistant cameramen and our job was to load &  service  the  Arri cameras after each flight . We would put women's shower caps  over the lenses to keep the engine oil off . The stunt pilots were supposed to pull the wires attached to the caps  before filming , but sometimes they would forget . So at dailies we would see several minutes of the inside of a shower cap , not a good thing !
     Bob Surtees was the Director of Photography and his credits include " Ben Hur " ," King Solomon Mines " , "Summer of 42 " , " The Sting " and  " The Last Picture Show ". Since this was only the second or third movie I had worked on at that time , I was very thrilled to be there !
       Bill Barber
AMA 325076

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 12:33:23 AM »
It was a pretty strange movie (unless you read the book) but "Catch 22" had some great B-25 shots. Was "633 Squadron" mentioned? That was 1964 so almost qualifies. 8)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:28:41 AM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here