News:

• May 02, 2024, 09:28:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "NATS" grass circle. FYI  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
"NATS" grass circle. FYI
« on: June 25, 2009, 04:42:21 PM »
Roger Wildman an I went to AMA for some much needed practice, and afterwards I took a look at the condition of the grass area. The best shape I've seen it in. See ya at the "Nats" I hope. Have a safe trip.

Blessings
Allen

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "NATS" grass circle. FYI
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:37:20 AM »
I just widh my grass circle I fly on most of the time was as good as the grass pad.  They try very hard to keep improving things at the site.   Too bad control line has to be spread so far apart.  You guys have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 01:16:36 PM »
I had the "pleasure" of a trip to WPAFB this week. Tuesday after the meeting was over, I drove over to Muncie. Yes, the grass circles are in very nice shape. They have been moved and striped already.  I have asked them to mow them one last time on July 3rd.

However, the "L" pad is degenerating.  There is a major crack in circle 4 that "could" swallow up a wheel on landing rollout. I have asked the AMA to fill and fair prior to our visit. That should take care of it for now, but the future of at least 2 of those circles involves many cracks. We'll see how time treats this pavement.

Paul Walker

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »
I had the "pleasure" of a trip to WPAFB this week. Tuesday after the meeting was over, I drove over to Muncie. Yes, the grass circles are in very nice shape. They have been moved and striped already.  I have asked them to mow them one last time on July 3rd.

However, the "L" pad is degenerating.  There is a major crack in circle 4 that "could" swallow up a wheel on landing rollout. I have asked the AMA to fill and fair prior to our visit. That should take care of it for now, but the future of at least 2 of those circles involves many cracks. We'll see how time treats this pavement.

Paul Walker
I could offer my beloved jacket...to help fill those gay-pin' cracks and about 4 cans of old outdated Devcon that I gleaned from Boeing Surplus before they pulled the plug on us old "outdated"  LL~model grunts
Don Shultz

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 04:38:53 PM »
I had the "pleasure" of a trip to WPAFB this week. Tuesday after the meeting was over, I drove over to Muncie. Yes, the grass circles are in very nice shape. They have been moved and striped already.  I have asked them to mow them one last time on July 3rd.

However, the "L" pad is degenerating.  There is a major crack in circle 4 that "could" swallow up a wheel on landing rollout. I have asked the AMA to fill and fair prior to our visit. That should take care of it for now, but the future of at least 2 of those circles involves many cracks. We'll see how time treats this pavement.

I wondered about that with the new pavement. There was a very long and deep crack for the last few years over in that area, but it wasn't very wide.  The old stuff was so soft that it flowed over the discontinuities. The new stuff was a lot better visually, but it was much harder, and I was a little concerned that it would not 'give' with the underlying movement. Of course, the old pavement also had tremendous dips and bumps - the point that I killed a prop and almost the whole airplane on a perfectly normal takeoff roll - it was such a big dip that the gear flexed and the prop hit.

Brett

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 04:52:19 PM »
I could offer my beloved jacket...to help fill those gay-pin' cracks and about 4 cans of old outdated Devcon that I gleaned from Boeing Surplus before they pulled the plug on us old "outdated"  LL~model grunts

You don't like your Jacket?
AMA 12366

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 07:54:12 PM »
You don't like your Jacket?

YOU GOTTA KNOW I LOVE THAT JACKET...(I took it off after the day heated up...and here is a shot of Walker TRYING TO STEAL IT...while I took a picture of Paul "CAUGHT IN THE ACT!"
Just razzin..n' jazzin.
I snapped this photo of Paul as he was razzin about HOW MUCH THAT JACKET OF OURS WEIGHES!!! I thought I heard him mummble something under his breath. I could have sworn that he said....that jacket Shultzie...weighes almost as much as your old Chipmunk or that Continential of Sparky's that is shown...sewn onto the back!  LL~ H^^
Truth is:
Every time I wear that jacket...folks mention just how much they miss Tom Warden as well as seeing his beautiful and unique art CLPA models that were the Alpha and Omega of pure flying art in motion.
Again...
Sparky...I treasure that gift greatly. Sorry Alan and Walker for kidnappin' this post.
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here