News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:45:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Other Interests  (Read 11498 times)

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: Other Interests
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
I envy you guys who actually custom build guitars. Someday, when I have the time ...  ::)

Right now, I just mess around with the electronics on my guitars - switch out the pickups, monkey around with effects pedals, etc. Figure the soldering skills will come in handy whenever I get around to working on an electric ship.

This is the latest weapon of choice - the awful stock pickups were switched out for some custom-wound Bare Knuckle pickups instead. Pretty versatile - it's capable of playing anything from jazz to blues to metal.

(And as Windy used to say in Stunt News, first person to notice what else is 'extra' on this guitar wins a free Sweeper t-shirt.)  :)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 09:19:06 AM »
Uh, seven strings?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2012, 09:30:53 AM »
Annette,  try contacting WD Music products at www.wdmusic.com or Allparts at www.allparts.com and Stewart McDonald at www.stewmac.com  I would think one of the three would be able to help you.  Then, if all else fails, take the 3/32 material and heat it in your oven at around 200 for a bit, then form it to the curvature of the guitar.  Protect the instrument with parchment paper when you do this so you don't harm the finish.  If it won't conform after the 200, step it up a bit at a time until it does get flexible.
Good hunting on this, you have a really neat old warrior there, and it deserves to be played!!!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2012, 06:48:11 PM »
Uh, seven strings?

Yup. It's got a seventh string "d" note. Great for playing that evil sounding stuff!

I love Ibanez guitars.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2012, 06:42:37 AM »
Like most I have several interests besides model airplanes but my #2 would have to be shooting. Built a shooting range out back and discovered several members of the Gluedobbers had guns and liked target shooting. One member (Tom Martin) donated a shooting bench and another (Lee Thiel) built a second one. Tom also donated several steel targets which makes our little shooting range almost as good as any commercial range. It's also pretty handy for the club members as the flying circles are in my front yard.

First photo is my .22 target gun, built from a pawn shop Ruger 10-22. I did the trigger and a couple other mods to the action and bolt to improve the accuracy. Barrel is carbon fiber laminated and stock is an aftermarket which is also a laminate. It will do a one hole group at 50 yards if I do my part.

2nd photo was shot on a day when another club member brought out a couple AK 47's. The one in the middle I built from a Romanian AK that was cut in half with a torch so it could be imported. Replaced the receiver using steel rivets just like the original. Had to make mandrels for the rivets and other tools for assembly but it turned out pretty well and it works great.

Last is my most recent acquisition, it's the new Ruger 1911 .45. Wife and I both have Oklahoma concealed carry permits, she isn't usually very far away from a Beretta 32 and I'm not usually far away from a 9mm. You just never know what evil lurks............

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2012, 07:16:09 AM »
  I play the radio real well!
     Doug

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »
Bob, that is one coooool stock!!  I'm currently shopping for a small semi-auto for CCW here in Ohio.
 Found a 500 brick of Remington 22LR' last year I had since 1964!  Took my grandson, the 17 out to shoot and those things sounded about like a cat sneezing! LL~ LL~  Thing is, shock of shocks, they were still fairly accurate at 20 yards!  Hilarious!  (I usually buy Stingers these days, so that was quite a difference!)  We had a howling good time that day.  I'm sure they wouldn't even reach our 50 yard target!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »
I really admire a lot of what you guys have done!

CB - That's really nice work.

All you guitar builders, that's great stuff. The closest I came to that was one of my many unfinished projects of long ago. I started a violin, but never got past the fancy scroll and ribs/corner blocks. I started on the back and messed up early - never to return. I appreciate the craftmanship and art that goes into a fine instrument. Keep it up!

Randy: You are welcome; all praise there is well deserved.

Tom N.: As usual, I'm impressed with the things you've accomplished. I hope you've been able to continue your music; playing in groups or solo, especially for appreciative audiences, is just one of the most rewarding things for me. On the "Breezy", I envy your welding skills! I remember Birmingham policeman and EAA club member Charlie Shivvers slope soaring his "Breezy" above a banked turn at Talladega, during one of the first NASCAR races run there, the year Marty Robbins placed high and asked NASCAR to tear down his illegal engine ('just wanted to see what I could do with the power those other guys have'). 'bet the FAA doesn't allow those hijinks anymore! Charlie would hold it there with throttle control for minutes at a time. He had it at Oshkosh several times. One of my incomplete projects involved the KR-1 I was building in a front room in Birmingham. When it got to looking like an airplane, I discovered, as many do, that I was much less than half finished with it. When I moved back up here into a Lake cottage I restored/winterized, I had to sell the project to a couple fellows from Akron, before winter set in. We often got Lake Erie spray frozen to the back porch windows.

Phil: Ditto on your Banjo playing. Good banjo players don't have to look too hard for work, do they?

It's pretty impressive how many CL folks are accomplished musicians. Floyd hasn't said much, but I guess he's pretty good on the violin too. I wish I had the ability and equipment to do such beautiful car restorations too - always had to farm out my racing work.There certainly is an abundance of talent on this forum.

Oh, yeah,...and Bill Werwage also put a 7th string on his acoustic guitar.

Edit: How could I forget Dennis' post. That's a fantastic achievement. Writing 30 plays of merit would be a graet achievement, but getting so many actually produced is just phenominal! I am very impressed by that standard. I read the brochure.

A couple of my unfinished projects - long abandoned - are shown below. With a little more fortitude, I might have posted some different interests earlier.

SK
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:34:52 PM by Serge_Krauss »

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2012, 07:56:29 PM »
I'm in the process of rebuilding my engine.
The photos show the early stages.
Now, I have all I need to start assembly - a very busy project but fun (I've done quite a few of these).

Bob Z.

I can post more photos if anyone is interested.

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2012, 08:06:52 PM »
Other stuff

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2012, 08:15:06 PM »
I'm in the process of rebuilding my engine.
The photos show the early stages.
Now, I have all I need to start assembly - a very busy project but fun (I've done quite a few of these).

Bob Z.

I can post more photos if anyone is interested.
pictures! heck I want a ride,, or just to sit in it and listen to it run,, LOL
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2012, 01:05:35 PM »
Other stuff

Thats some cool stuff Phil!

Derek

Advertise Here
Tags: