News:

• May 10, 2024, 06:51:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Can anybody reproduce my decal sheet?"  (Read 689 times)

Offline PaulGibeault

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
"Can anybody reproduce my decal sheet?"
« on: April 06, 2019, 05:05:09 PM »
Can anybody reproduce my decal sheet?
I have a decal sheet for an SR-71 model that is so old that the decals won't stick & tend to fall apart when applied. It is in 4 colors. Red, black, white & blue.
Can anybody recommend me a person or service than can reproduce these in preferably a mylar transfer?? Thank you.

Paul

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "Can anybody reproduce my decal sheet?"
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 05:32:11 PM »
I'm sorry Paul, but if you use those your "NASA" logos will be upside down.

However, if you want to persevere you could get some water-slide decal paper, scan the decal sheet with an ordinary flat-bed scanner, and print onto that.  I have the inkjet printer stuff, and it works great.  I've heard about stuff that can be used with a laser printer, but haven't used it -- allegedly, the inkjet inks will fade in the sun (like old red Volkswagens), but I haven't seen it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 06:24:08 PM »
Try Callie Graphics.  I sent them a copy of what I needed for my new build and had it pretty quick, good pricing also.

James
AMA 491167

Online Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 07:11:03 PM »
Callie Graphics very good outfit.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 08:10:13 PM »
Theres normally zillions of aftermarket decales / transfers , for most plastic kits .

however , yyou didnt mention WHAT SCALE IT IS youre after .  >:(

I loked here ;

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=lockheed+sr+71+transfers+/+decals&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiM4__38bzhAhXSe30KHZlCAdAQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1221&bih=892#imgrc=g5ACcI6XjfSDgM:

and this came up ;

However it says ' out of stock ' . BUT , over on the RIGHT , it pops up . With another 11 various sheets under it .

Theres many transfer manufacturers , ditto plastic swap / collector / hoarder / traders .

The I.M.P.S. ( Intl. Plastic Muddlers Soc. ) might get you one , at a minimal price . Plus theres a ' Airfix ' site too .

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 08:20:33 PM »
Mr. Paul,
Please, oh, please...whatever you choose to do, scan yours first!

Set the scan job to the highest resolution and max number of colors before there is no decal sheet available. Sure, the file may wind up a few megabytes in size, but the resulting print jobs can always be reduced in print quality.

I've already been glad for scans in order to fix crashed planes, subsequent builds, or to provide those scans to fellow modellers.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 12:23:59 PM »
Jim you can do that with your home printer. Buy water transfer decal paper scan and print what you need and print on your printer. After you print you must clear coat the decal. That is it.
Search for decal paper or white decal paper if you have white in the decal and you are good to go.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 10:26:18 PM »
Thanks TDM.
My concern was for the ability to catalog and preserve a decal set that may be practically unobtainable. While I most likely won't build this particular plane, somebody may, and may want to reproduce the decals for their build.
I have passed on scans from difficult-to-obtain kits, and have gotten scans from others. The set I was most pleased to get is for my Guillow's Mosquito. My original-in-the-open-box set had been rat-chewed beyond use.

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 12:37:01 PM »
Thanks to all who posted to my query. Looks like I'm on my way.  Cheers, Paul 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here