News:

• May 28, 2024, 07:54:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Buck style" bellcrank failed after 300 flights  (Read 17038 times)

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: "Buck style" bellcrank failed after 300 flights
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2020, 09:07:55 PM »
Several years ago I ordered two of these from Tom. They arrived compromised in adhesion and were not centered. I sent them back and received two new ones that were slightly better. I won't use them. I like Brett's, as shown in forum pictures, and do not think that the outside manufactured ones measure up in quality. I hated to write this, but the defects were noticeable. - SK

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2020, 09:40:04 PM »
Comisrations,
Theres a chance id be somewhat put out , were it me .

I relate Stunt Ships , if ' All Weather " planes , to say rally cars , or moto-X / Enduro motosickles . Somewhat bounced around and ' stressed ' .

Therefore ' Service Life ' , is related to durability . Envisage a FoMoCo like test cycle device , operating it thousands or millions of cycles .  :(

" I still wonder if this isn't an artifact of the crash.  Chris, was this indeed the "up" line?  Coming downhill in the hourglass, the controls are neutral, pulling from a neutral position, so we are saying that the "Netzeband wall" (hinge moment) is what did this? We're talking about a 12 to 15 lb. pull, 20 at most. I'm not convinced that this was the failure.  "

Flying in knew zeelund , whilst the Americas cup twits were chickening out , as their boats blow up if theres a chop & thirty knot winds ,

the two kilo Spitfire , G 51 , on a grass circle / center - would have you dragged on Std Shoes , downwind . If it was damp . As it sometimes is when it rains .
Thered be a pull of at least 50 POUNDS .
Golf Shoes ( studded ) Kicking ones heels into the ground , leaning back . Often both hands on handle .Twanging a line in Sq bottoms on .018 7 strand steel . >:(

Therefore if we do a 200 % operating load multi cycle test , And a destruction - cycling - test . We'd see how it ' GOES ' .  :-\

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2020, 08:04:30 PM »
I know this is a slightly older thread, but one thing bothers me about it..

300 flights is a very short time for failure, and I noticed Chris said

"  I put a lot of flights on planes and it lasted for 300. My guess is that most people who use the crank don't fly that much. "

Well Ive used the Tom Morris / Brett Buck bellcrank on all my models since 1998, when I would purchase them off windy.
I never had one single failure, and flew this same bellcrank system on the Lancaster, which weighed 120oz.

On my regular competition ships I have had no problems with the bellcrank ever wearing out.
Now I as for total flights,  I have my own circle and can fly as long as I like. 300 flights? Id do that in a week, no problems.

Im not going to comment on the failure beyond saying Ive installed the same purchased product for 20+ years, and have certainly pushed "number of flight" envelope beyond 3000 flights on more than 2 plan.

The last major failure of a control system I had was breaking a titanium 4.40 bolt. Due to a faulty manufacturing process.. so that CAN happen..

This is Bretts point, its hard to associate your name if you dont have 100% control over the finished product.
I personally started using the bellcrank because it was endorsed by a World class engineer and pilot, so yes I believe the products I have purchased and use have been nothing short of "exceptional" and a 100% success rate.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2020, 09:54:01 PM »
I have my own circle and can fly as long as I like. 300 flights? Id do that in a week, no problems.
#^ #^ #^
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here