News:

• April 26, 2024, 05:17:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Backwards"  (Read 5362 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
"Backwards"
« on: October 30, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »
I had lunch with Rich Giacobone Saturday...
Rich flies "backwards", or clockwise....
Flyers that I know that fly clockwise are: Roy Campanella (SP) on the left coast, Jerry Phelps from Ohio, and Bob Gost from CT. Dave Cook flew backwards, too.
Last I spoke with Bob "Mr. U-Reely", he was not flying much.
Are there any active flyers that I may have missed?

Thanks

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "Backwards"
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 01:47:05 PM »
It always blows my mind whwn I see him fly in Windy videos.....id be so lost

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »
Judging clockwise flyers is tough....
The first time I judged Cook was an OTS event....
Dave allowed as how you could enter the vertical 8 from the top, center or bottom, and that he was going to enter from the middle and go down, making the bottom loop an outside!

Okay.....

Fortunately Dave flew his Tiger 60 Viking into the middle of the vertical 8 as planned, tipped it down and it went STRAIGHT IN, ending my dilemma.

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 02:16:31 PM »
Alan Resinger and Roy DeCamara also fly clockwise

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »
That was the Roy I meant.....I knew he had an Irish name

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »
and, Leo Mehl.
Mike

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »
And Bob Heywood

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 05:42:19 PM »
Paul Smith flies his Perky Speed backwards.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »
Lew Wollard fly's either way. But he also fly's counter clockwise with his handle backwards where down is up and up is down. It is fun and confusing to watch him fly and give the handle down and the plane goes up. Weird.
Jim Kraft

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »
Of course the greatest clockwise flier of them all -- in my opinion -- was Gene Schaffer. Dave Cook also flew that way and I believe that Lou Andrews did also, but of that I'm not certain... George Aldrich also flew that way...

I used to fly a lot of Gene's planes by attaching the up line of the handle to the down leadout and vise versa for the other line. I just flew those ships a if I were flying my own plane inverted. So long as I just focused on the spinner... and not the landing gear... everything went fine.  n~ I was the last person to fly Gene's Hallmark... including Gene!  :-\

Bob Hunt

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 08:40:30 PM »
   Some where along the line in my model aviation history, I have known at least one or two other people who flew clock wise, and I have seen a common thread amongst a few of them, and that was they were raised in Cleveland. It may have been Jerry Phelps that told me this or maybe someone else, but the when these guys were kids, Cleveland had great youth and hobby programs through their parks department, and the guy in charge of the model airplane portion flew clockwise. If you were in his group, that was the way you learned because that was the way he flew. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I might have even read in in Thornburg's "Do You Speak Model Airplane?"
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 10:22:25 PM »
As Bob Hunt said.. Gene Schaeffer. He is the best flyer to never win the Nats. Gene was as good as any person in the world.

I believe Hal DeBolt also flew "backwards". I have been told (but not confirmed) that in the early days of controline clockwise was the way to go.  When I started flying the convention was lefties flew clockwise (backwards)  and righties flew counterclockwise.
AMA 7544

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 04:45:39 AM »
   Some where along the line in my model aviation history, I have known at least one or two other people who flew clock wise, and I have seen a common thread amongst a few of them, and that was they were raised in Cleveland. It may have been Jerry Phelps that told me this or maybe someone else, but the when these guys were kids, Cleveland had great youth and hobby programs through their parks department, and the guy in charge of the model airplane portion flew clockwise. If you were in his group, that was the way you learned because that was the way he flew. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I might have even read in in Thornburg's "Do You Speak Model Airplane?"
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Correct except for location. Jerry grew up in the Toledo, Ohio area.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 09:36:08 PM »
I too was bamboozled the first time I saw Rich fly his Stuka bassakwards. It looked strange to me. I am glad I got to fly with him at Brodaks.
I'm glad to hear he is doing better.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »
Gene was  THE pilot . When he flew, everyone who could stopped to watch. As we all know , the contests back in the 60s and 70s were huge . Our annual UMAC event was an AAA. And he stopped that one ,too.

Offline Randy Lewis

• New Pilot
  • 419 574 2295
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 10:48:49 AM »
Boys Club of Toledo-Wan? taught many to fly clockwise.I purchased planes from Gerald Phelps in the 60,s.If your still there Jerry I am at  zo6driver@hotmail.com--Randy.
Randall Lewis

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »
I've never seen anyone fly backwards, but I knew an old flier in the 80's named Chuck Smoot who once showed me a plane he built for clockwise flying. He said it wasn't a big deal to fly that way, just had to remember which way to exit maneuvers!
Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »
Curiosity is going to kill the cat.  I'm tempted to build a $15.95 Sig 1/2A Skyray and set it up for clockwise flight.  <=

It would also give me the chance to try to fly left handed (i'm right handed.)  That's assuming the pieces will be big enough to glue back together after trying to fly clockwise with my right hand.

Should be interesting.

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, Missouri

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »
Another "Backwards" flier worthy of note is Gerry Phelps.  Gerry always made it look easy!  Also, a Nicer Guy never existed!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 12:39:37 PM »
I learned to fly clockwise (deosil). I went off to college and didn't fly for 8 or 10 years. When I came back, everyone was flying counter-clockwise (widdershins) so I learned to fly that way. Haven't tried flying clockwise is awhile. Don't know if I could, now.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 01:36:19 PM »
Curiosity is going to kill the cat.  I'm tempted to build a $15.95 Sig 1/2A Skyray and set it up for clockwise flight.  <=

It would also give me the chance to try to fly left handed (i'm right handed.)  That's assuming the pieces will be big enough to glue back together after trying to fly clockwise with my right hand.

Should be interesting

I have witnessed such an activity. It didn't end well.

Brett

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »
      I have witnessed such an activity. It didn't end well.

Brett

Brett:
You're probably right.  I commit enough folly as it is.   But it is tempting and if the Skyray survived to be converted back to counterclockwise flight, we've got 8 grandsons and one granddaughter to give it to.     

None of them fly CL yet, but I have finished a 1/2 A Skyray and will start teaching the ones old enough to fly as soon as possible. 
Joe Ed

Offline richardm

• Ensign
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 03:54:15 PM »
I fly everything the right way except a Mc Coy 60 vintage speed ship I have flown for giggles at our National Champs a few years ago, handle upside down, no issues ( well with the flying that is)

Great fun
Richard Mc Fadden

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2018, 05:27:37 PM »
I fly stunt counterclockwise, but set up a Torquette clockwise so that I didn’t need a left hand engine and prop.  To avoid confusion, that model is flown left handed. Since it only requires altitude correction, not stunts, it has worked out well so far. No muscle memory overrides!

You want to see strange hand motion, watch Warren Walker, he flies with up and down reversed. And does a great job of it too!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2018, 06:03:51 PM »
 I was a kid (about 17) when the Aldrich pattern happened. Of course, I flew  CCW. For yucks, I decided to try the look and feel of going clockwise. Took off, flipped inverted and tried the pattern. Kept enough sky under the model for a one-mistake-high-glitch to get corrected. Flipped back upright before end of tank. Many flights this way. Sorta got the hang of it shortly, but it wasn't pretty. At that time neither was my CCW-upright pattern.

Maybe I just didn't have to unlearn so many deeply trained reflexes? It was fun, more so when a wrong one-mistake-high-move almost started, but got corrected.

I have judged clockwise fliers. It feels different until about until the turn to inverted in the Rev W/O... Then on, it seemed routine...

When we took a leave from Germany to visit England (for the 1978 CL World Champs at RAF Woodvale. Oh, yeah, and some tourism.) My mind "flipped over" coming down the ramp from the car ferry, to start driving on the left. It was easy, but felt odd. The one time I got confused was when Penny and both kids kept asking how I did it. Distracted me. Local Brits saw our US Forces, Germany, license plates and gave us lots of room...

Back to topic... Anyone mention Hal deBolt as a CW flier? Check the All Americans plans. (Don't recall if his Continental and Lethal Lucy also went that way... (Principle may have been that basic engine torque load would lift the inboard wing; CCW rotation would lift the outboard wing. Not good for the AA-series much longer inboard wings.) I did fly an AA, Sr. with a reverse rotation shaft Fox 35. Engine ran identically to a stock CCW rig. Noted difference - it did NOT need outboard tipweight! Easy takeoffs!

Hal DeB had some ingenious ideas, but overdid many of them. He curved the fuse of his Speedwagon to "match" the curve of the flight circle. It was way too much, but since speed models have NO LACK of pull, it may have reduced the load on the pilot some. His 3" longer inboard panel on the AA, Sr. was about 2.5" too much...

But, they did work...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 06:56:46 PM »
Larry Renger wrote,
"You want to see strange hand motion, watch Warren Walker, he flies with up and down reversed. And does a great job of it too!"

There are more, me, Doug Bennedetti and James Johnson.  Those are the only the ones that I know of.  Not a big deal if that's the way you learned.

Mike

Online frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »
Jim Tommerson would fly with up on the bottom and down on the top.  It would make you sea sick to watch his hand while he flew.  Somehow I think he flew backwards also, but I'm not sure I remember that correctly.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2018, 05:56:19 AM »
Doug Stout also flew with the handle reversed. Like Frank said, it was a bit unnerving to watch him. In fact it made me scared to watch his hand because I might have become confused  :o

I had the chance to fly many of Gene Schaffer's airplanes, which were set up to fly clockwise. The following is an excerpt from my not-yet-finished book about my Genesis series of models:

The end for my original Caprice model came on a wind swept Mitchell Field on Long Island in the spring of 1969. Gene Schaffer, Bill Simons and I had traveled there to compete in an early contest. It was March as I recall, and the wind was so strong that virtually everyone either declined to even make the trip to the contest site, or those who did promptly turned around and left after they arrived. Gene, Bill and I stayed on for a while, hoping that the wind would die down enough to allow for some practice flights at least.

Instead, the wind just got stronger and we soon realized that there would be no hope for any meaningful flying that day. Gene decided to do some wind-flying. He was quite famous for his skills at that. Bill and I watched in amazement as Gene performed literally dozens of dead-stick lazy eights, loops and square loops with his Blackbird. He could sure put on a show!

I decided that I wanted to try my hand at dead-stick wind-flying, and despite Bill’s objections (He always was the logical and practical one...) I gave it a try. Things actually went pretty well and it was easy to use the power of the wind to push the model up and over the top in maneuvers. So long as I kept things fairly big and kept the proper timing by allowing the model to penetrate into the wind far enough on the sides of the maneuvers to allow the wind to push it back over with force, wind-flying was easy; right up to the point where I tried to do some square loops and lost my timing.

The result was a splattered Caprice, with bits of balsa and foam blowing down the runway seemingly into oblivion. Poignant it was, and just as the parts disappeared I realized that I didn’t have a new ship on the building board. I had been mustered out of the Army in late 1968 and didn’t even try to get a new plane going over that winter. I figured that the Caprice would take me through the 1969 contest season and then I would build a new ship over the next winter for the 1970 season.

Gene offered me one of his models as a practice ship until I could build a new one of my own, but his models were set up to fly clockwise while mine were rigged in the more normal manner to fly counterclockwise.

Gene suggested that I should try attaching the up line from my handle to the down line of one of his models and the down line from the handle to the up line of the model. He said that if I concentrated on the spinner I should be able to fly as if I were doing the pattern from the inverted position and at least get in some practice. I thought it sounded reasonable. Bill Simons was sure that with this plan we were about to plant two models in the same day!

Well, it worked! I was able to fly Gene’s Judge with no problems, just so long as I didn’t think too much. And, in fact, I used that model in some local competitions (Sans appearance points of course). I even placed third flying it in one local meet! I was able to keep my hand in on the flying while I worked on a new model.

The model of Gene's that I first flew was his Judge. At first I just took off (as if I were in the inverted position with my own model...), and flipped the model over quickly so that in my mind I was flying upright. After several flights I was able to just fly the pattern from the inverted position in my mind. I never had even a close call flying his ships. I placed third at the Troy, New York contest in 1969 (sans appearance points of course...) flying the Judge!

A few years later I "inherited" the Stunt Machine (the published one) from Gene, and I flew that model a bunch. In fact, I took it to the 1982 Nats in Lincoln, Nebraska, where I was Lanny Short's Assistant Event Director. One of my duties was to train the judges, and I was all set to do that with the Stunt Machine until one of the contestants protested. He claimed that flying that model in the training flights would "confuse the judges..." Well, he may have been right, as throughout Gene's career many judges admitted being disorientated when Gene flew. Bob McDonald had a backup model (a Sagitta if memory serves, or perhaps an Aquila; getting old and some details are escaping me...) that flew extremely well, and I used that to train the judges. The first flights on that plane were daunting, as I wasn't sure if I could just switch back suddenly to counterclockwise flying and get up to the necessary proficiency with which to show the judges a representative good pattern (I would have wowed them flying the Stunt Machine, as I had a lot of practice with it at that point...). In the end it all turned out fine, and I did't damage Bob's beautiful ship.

I also had the opportunity to fly Gene's Hallmark several years earlier. It happened at the 1977 Team Trials in Gillem, Georgia. Again, here's an excerpt from the Genesis book that chronicles that event.

Before we rolled up our lines to get ready to leave, Gene Schaffer asked me to fly his Hallmark. Now, I had flown Gene’s models in the past using that “reverse the lines on the handle” trick he’d shown me. But that was years earlier. I was drained almost senseless by the week’s drama and really only wanted to start for home. But Gene insisted.

Relax, nothing bad happened. I did get a chance, however, to finally feel the power of a good ST 46 in a smaller ship than I was used to. And, I liked it! That Hallmark was among the most steerable, easy-to-fly models I’ve ever flown. It had a very positive feel to it and also a one-speed characteristic that I’d never felt before in a stunt model.

After I landed Gene -- who had been very unsettled throughout the contest -- seemed very serene and he thanked me for flying his plane. He rarely got to see any of his planes fly from outside the circle because so few fliers set their planes up to fly in the clockwise direction. I sensed that my flight on his ship had more of a special meaning to him than he was letting on.

The rest of the story  -- as Paul Harvey (a modeler himself...) used to say -- was that the flight I took on the Hallmark was the last flight that ship ever made. After that Team Trials, Gene decided to retire from flying, and to my knowledge never picked up a handle again. The Hallmark was destroyed soon after that in a rather bizarre manner, which I won't go into here...

Gene's models all flew extremely well, and they all had amazing vertical tension. I felt that same thing when I first flew an electric model fitted with a reversed rotation (pusher) prop. I loved the pusher props on my Genesis Extreme and on my Crossfire models, and would opt to use one again if Igor offered one of his three blade props in pusher format. I've decided to fly a bit more (not even remotely suggesting that I'll fly at a Nats or Team Trials...), and have decided to try Igor's complete system, which includes a normal rotation prop. I'll report my finding here when that happens...

Bob Hunt

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 07:49:14 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 07:58:18 AM »
Bob Palmer also flew  up for down and down for up
rad racer

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2018, 08:50:50 AM »
I would assume it's a "left handed" thing...………

Offline Joe Bowman

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2018, 08:58:35 AM »
Frank, you remember correctly.  Jim Thommerson did fly CW.  He told me judges complained abut it so he switched the up and down lines and flew CCW.  It was weird watching his hand when he flew.  Boy he sure did fly fast too.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2018, 09:01:03 AM »
I had one of Phil C's combat planes and tried a Magnum 30 4 stroke on it (pathetic). It had a single wheel
Rich Giacobone was there and said that he would like to fly it.....
I suggested that he turn the handle upside down. He would have none of that "sissy stuff". I said "okay", fired it up. He waved for launch.....the plane hit the pavement about a foot from where I let it go.
Rich allowed as how he would flip the handle....we tried again and this time it must have gone 15-20 feet!

We got him airborn with a hand launch in the clockwise direction.

I do find it difficult to judge clockwise flight

Offline Doug Stout

• New Pilot
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »
Bob,

Thanks for remembering me and that I would fly with the up line opposite from others.  It worked for me and provided some advantage for certain maneuvers, like the beginning of the reverse wing over, overhead eight, and the beginning and end of the clover leaf.  Disadvantage was the top of the vertical eight and hourglass.  ;D

My Dad taught me to fly CL when I was 8 years old, where he was flying only 1/2As at that time.  We use to fly in the parking lot of a church across the street from our home.  He wanted to keep the fabric lines from getting twisted, so he would picked up the handle to match the lead outs, with up in the back.  Made sense to us.  We flew with the handle parallel to the ground for many years until we progress into the larger models and precision aerobatics.  Once we started to perform aerobatics, we rotated our hand to what felt as a natural position for us at a 45 degree angle.  As a side note, I am a lefty and I tried to initially fly with this hand, but it was a total disaster.  We rebuilt his Baby Flight Streak a few times because of it.  I switched to the right hand and had no problems after that.  Even flew some of my Dad's more challenging 1/2 A models at that time without a problem, such as the full body SE5A biplane that was tail heavy, which we didn't understand at that time.

Doug
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:37:38 PM by Doug Stout »
"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »
In the NW, Mike Haverly and Jim Johnson both fly with the handle horizontal and essentially have the controls reversed if you pick it up and consider flying their planes. I'm pretty sure that both Mike and Jim are right handed, and I know that Mike got his "style" directly from flying a Firebaby. My Dad flew some sport stunt in the early 50's, but I had to teach myself to fly on 1/2a's in the late 50's. All three of us boys learned to fly CL CCW. No Firebabys were used! H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for remembering me and that I would fly with the up line opposite from others.  It worked for me and provided some advantage for certain maneuvers, like the beginning of the reverse wing over, overhead eight, and the beginning and end of the clover leaf.  Disadvantage was the top of the vertical eight and hourglass.  ;D

My Dad taught me to fly CL when I was 8 years old, where he was flying only 1/2As at that time.  We use to fly in the parking lot of a church across the street from our home.  He wanted to keep the fabric lines from getting twisted, so he would picked up the handle to match the lead outs, with up in the back.  Made sense to us.  We flew with the handle parallel to the ground for many years until we progress into the larger models and precision aerobatics.  Once we started to perform aerobatics, we rotated our hand to what felt as a natural position for us at a 45 degree angle.  As a side note, I am a lefty and I tried to initially fly with this hand, but it was a total disaster.  We rebuilt his Jr. Flight Streak a few times because of it.  I switched to the right hand and had no problems after that.  Even flew some of my Dad's more challenging 1/2 A models at that time without a problem, such as the full body SE5A biplane that was tail heavy, which we didn't understand at that time.

Doug

Hi Doug:

Yeah, I vividly remember you flying your original design Apparition at the 1975 Nats in Lake Charles, and watching you win the Senior Stunt event with that ship that year. I had to watch your flights; I was one of the judges!  ;D 

Why not come back from the kite flying and "play" with all us other aging kids?

Bob

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2018, 12:43:24 PM »
I am a "leftie", but I fly counter-clockwise (upright) .  In the bad old days, many of our planes were underpowered by weak engines. My leftie configuration helped when I had to "whip" a plane when lines got slack, or sometimes, just to get the beast into the air from tall grass!
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
How many remember the late and great Lew Woolard.   It was fun watching his hand go the opposite direction of the plane as far as control input.  At VSC he flew a replica of an Aldrich Nobler that was set up for CW flight.  He also flew Old Time CCW flight.  He made it look easy.  I think him and the late Mike Tallman could wind fly no matter the plane.  Have the plans for their Slow Combat plane and need to get it built. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Doug Stout

• New Pilot
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2018, 01:55:04 PM »
Bob,

Thank you for the invite, but I developed a bad allergy to balsa dust when I took up RC Sailplanes in the 1980s.  I do miss you guys and CLPA.  Still have my Apparition (Fox 35, 53 in. 41.5 oz., 1974-1975) and Apparition 2 (ST 46 with Adamisin Muffler, 57 in., 56 oz., 1978-1979) hanging in my workshop.  I flew both of this stunt ships with a rearward CG and 5 in. handle spacing.  My current fun is performing indoors on a national level with my swept forward wing ultra-light single line glider kites of my own design.

Doug
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:31:05 PM by Doug Stout »
"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »

Got the leadouts at the wrong end . Focuses the mind marvelously. Like flying over concrete .

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2018, 09:18:43 PM »
The reason I fly upside down is, when I was 10 years old and I got my first PT-19, I had flown a lot with my Dad
in his Navion. I looked at the handle like the yoke, I pulled back and it went up pushed in it went down, the only thing
was, I did it with the bottom end of the handle.

W.W.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2018, 01:14:09 PM »
Lew Wollard fly's either way. But he also fly's counter clockwise with his handle backwards where down is up and up is down. It is fun and confusing to watch him fly and give the handle down and the plane goes up. Weird.
HEY!!  %^@ HEY!!   %^@ Don't be no hater!!  ::)  Ya' see, I fly with the handle that way .... so it ain't weird .... we're "Gifted"!!   LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 01:23:45 PM »
Last night had a telecom with a friend who sometimes flies CL on his property, and he divulged that he learned to fly (late '50's) clockwise (Ringmaster Junior with an early Fox .29 stunt), but then took up some interest in Navy Carrier (as well as speed and stunt). So, he had to learn to fly CCW. We figured that it was easy enough for him because he had not yet learned to fly inverted. I happen to think that's the key factor.  y1 Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 01:55:50 PM »
Why no picture of canard stunters?  Isn't that at least as much backwards as flying clockwise?

I mean -- there's precedent for them being warbirds and all.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 07:37:28 PM »
One good thing , is you dont need a mower . As the plane leaps AWAY from you as you haul it out of the grass . Not Toward You .  ;D

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2018, 05:34:16 AM »
Why no picture of canard stunters?  Isn't that at least as much backwards as flying clockwise?

I mean -- there's precedent for them being warbirds and all.

You want a canard? Here you go, Tim!  H^^ Doug Stout had a similar canard a long while back and he flew it with the controls reversed. Not sure if that's a double negative or not...  ???

Later - Bob

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2018, 12:26:38 PM »
Here's mine. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2018, 01:15:33 PM »
Not really a 'bump' - topic is still going...

Correction: In my post #24, I accused Hal DeB of designing the Lethal Lucy. Wrong. It was Leon Shulman. As I recall, it had a smallish, thin wing and a long shaft Fox 59.

Guess it flew pretty fast...

By John Miske's "kitted or published" criterion, Lethal Lucy was one of the last to meet the OTS rule - Published December issue, 1952.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2018, 10:32:42 PM »
Either a twin pusher canard , or its flying clockwise . Once it got the 10 x 4 3 blades on the OS 35-Ses , it worked pretty good . Till I left it out in the rain .  :-X

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here