News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:19:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two Old Photos  (Read 4901 times)

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
Two Old Photos
« on: November 12, 2017, 11:14:50 AM »
I just came across two old B&W photos.

The shiny new Tropicaire with it's original canopy and nose gear and my last Stiletto taking off in that horrible Chicopee wind during the 1984 World Champs. Pretty steep climb for sure but I needed to get that thing away from the ground immediately! 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:00:56 PM by Les McDonald »
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Two Old Photos
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:48:24 AM »
Yeah, and that wind flight at Chicopee was one of the very best wind flights of all time. I was the Assistant Manager of that team and was tasked with helping the Stunt team specifically. I was worried because Les had drawn a flight in the absolute worst wind conditions anyone had to face that year. I was certain that he was going to have massive problems getting through that wind because others had problems in winds that were no where near as bad as the conditions he faced. Les laid in the most amazing flight I've ever seen, and later that evening we saw a video of that flight and you couldn't tell on the video that any wind was blowing at all. The flight looked great on screen, and only if you had been there in person to see that performance live would you know just how astounding it was.

Les is one of the very best to have ever flown a Stunt model, and he did it with such class and dignity. I'll never forget those years of competing with Les, and I'll never forget that wind flight!

Bob Hunt

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 02:22:58 PM »
I remember that flight quite well but from a different view than Bobs.
Take off and level laps were acceptable and then the wind went steady for a few minutes allowing for a good wing over, four nice round loops (no penalty in FAI) and some decent squares and eights. The break in the consistent wind direction went away around the vertical eights so I went into survival mode. I don't even remember the hourglass. Giant overhead eights and the narrowest cloverleaf in history. When the motor finally stopped I capped off this flight with three landings in one lap and then the plane was saved from getting flipped over when Werwage trapped it at the end of the rollout.
All I can say here is that Bob Hunt is a great guy to have as a friend!

I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:39:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing the photos Les.  Your Stiletto continues to be my all time favorite stunt ship. 

George

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »
I just came across two old B&W photos.

The shiny new Tropicaire with it's original canopy and nose gear and my last Stiletto taking off in that horrible Chicopee wind during the 1984 World Champs. Pretty steep climb for sure but I needed to get that thing away from the ground immediately!

Thanks Les

I love the looks of both of these  planes, especially the bottom one !  :-O

Randy

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 05:51:40 AM »
I remember that flight quite well but from a different view than Bobs.
Take off and level laps were acceptable and then the wind went steady for a few minutes allowing for a good wing over, four nice round loops (no penalty in FAI) and some decent squares and eights. The break in the consistent wind direction went away around the vertical eights so I went into survival mode. I don't even remember the hourglass. Giant overhead eights and the narrowest cloverleaf in history. When the motor finally stopped I capped off this flight with three landings in one lap and then the plane was saved from getting flipped over when Werwage trapped it at the end of the rollout.
All I can say here is that Bob Hunt is a great guy to have as a friend!

Yeah, well, as I remember it, you had your eyes closed throughout that fight, so how could you even know how good it looked!  n~ Seriously, I do remember that as a really great wind flight. When you are "at the handle" these things often seem different. Do you remember, Les, watching the video of that flight that evening in the lounge? I wish I could get my hands on a copy of that. It would forever prove which one of us was looking through rose colored glasses...

I'll always remember that as a great performance; only to be outdone by the performance at the banquet that year...

Bob

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 08:02:58 AM »
  Do you remember, Les, watching the video of that flight that evening in the lounge? I wish I could get my hands on a copy of that. It would forever prove which one of us was looking through rose colored glasses...

I'll always remember that as a great performance; only to be outdone by the performance at the banquet that year...

Bob

Okay Mr Smartypants, I have that whole video of the 84 Champs which includes not just one but three different views of that same flight. It also has a bunch of other guys fighting the wind. Sadly many of them are long departed.
So, do you want me to send it up to you?

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 10:13:15 AM »
Okay Mr Smartypants, I have that whole video of the 84 Champs which includes not just one but three different views of that same flight. It also has a bunch of other guys fighting the wind. Sadly many of them are long departed.
So, do you want me to send it up to you?

Heck yeah I'd like a copy of that video. You've had one all these years and didn't tell any of the team you had it? Maybe that flight was a turkey...  ;D

Later - Bob

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 11:09:36 AM »
Heck yeah I'd like a copy of that video. You've had one all these years and didn't tell any of the team you had it? Maybe that flight was a turkey...  ;D

Later - Bob

Full Disclosure: Doc Jackson sent me that video several weeks after the contest and, if you recall, my head at that time was really not in the best place.
                       I never shared the video with you guys in later years since it shows me quite a bit----- ad nausea.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 09:22:08 PM »
 Love that Stiletto pic, looking all the business heading out for another "sortie". Great stories too guys, thanks for sharing.

I can still remember my first time seeing Stiletto photos, while flipping through Model Airplane News in the school library when I was in Junior High. The library would get MAN in and I probably wore out every copy. More than a few copies "accidentally" came home in my notebook too. Les's Stiletto was one of the first airplanes that got me hooked on C/L modeling. I thought it was so cool back at the time, and before I'd ever had a "big" plane, I drew up and scratchbuilt a Tee Dee .049 powered profile version that copied the outline and look of the Stiletto, wing mounted and faired L/G gear, wheel pants and all.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:43:06 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 04:33:51 PM »
Love that Stiletto pic, looking all the business heading out for another "sortie". Great stories too guys, thanks for sharing.

I can still remember my first time seeing Stiletto photos, while flipping through Model Airplane News in the school library when I was in Junior High. The library would get MAN in and I probably wore out every copy. More than a few copies "accidentally" came home in my notebook too. Les's Stiletto was one of the first airplanes that got me hooked on C/L modeling. I thought it was so cool back at the time, and before I'd ever had a "big" plane, that I drew up and scratchbuilt a Tee Dee .049 powered profile version that copied the outline and look of the Stiletto, wing mounted and faired L/G gear, wheel pants and all.

Wow, how cool is that but I'm pretty sure we all did that exact same thing with our favorite looking stunters.
Sadly Matt Colon might possibly be the last young man in America that took great joy in doing the same thing we did.

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »
Les, what were the dimensions of your last Stiletto, and what were you using for power.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here