News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:21:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shameless now N30 Qualified  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Shameless now N30 Qualified
« on: January 28, 2018, 03:01:41 PM »
Just an FYI:  During the refinishing of the original Shameless a family discussion occurred about when and where it was first flown.  Based on where we lived and when we moved and knowing I first flew it at Richards-Gebaur AFB,  we determined it was built during the winter of 1987 and test flown in the spring of 1988.  Now it could be used for both profile and N30 at the same contest.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Shameless now N30 Qualified
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 03:02:25 PM »
AMA 20934

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 08:15:07 PM »
   Hi Dave;
    That about fits with my foggy memory. I was just getting started at that time, and a little later on started seeing the adds for the kit you offered. What was the entire line of kits you had? My first memory of meeting/seeing you was at our contest and you were flying a profile Hellcat???? Not sure really but I thing that was it. Probably npt too much later than what we are talking about? Do you have plans for the Shameless available?
   Thanks a lot,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 08:20:09 AM »
Hi Dan.   The kit bus started in 1993 and ran about 4 years.  This was actually the first one.  This and the Sukoi were the backbone of the production so i think there will be a few kits and plans out there.  Lately in a few cases i've been sending out a copy of the plans on request for something just over cost.  Maybe if I ever retire I'll hand make a few kits again since I do still have all the production patterns and stuff. We'll see.
I remember the contest you are talking about there in St. Louis.  What I had then was a take-off of the Sukoi done as a semi scale Dauntless dive bomber.  I remember i was struggling in Buder Park with losing the airplane as it dropped below the tree line with the paint job-it just vanished each time.  I was/am used to flying mostly out in the open without  the close backdrop.  I also did a Hellcat look-like off the Sukoi airframe that was a favorite with me and the family-both sons-in-law learned the whole pattern on it and it still survives in Kevin's basement.  I've been threatening to built another like it and maybe enlarged a bit to .60 size.  These two designs were most unusual at the time because of size-some of the first to use .40s+ for power.  The FP .40 is/was about the minimum that will pull them.  We could never get the LAs to come up with the ponies to really do the job.  We tried all sorts of props, etc., but the difference felt noticeable at the handle.  Until then .35s were the norm for profiles.  Aside from my own flying, Todd Lee won the King Orange Internats in OPEN with Shameless one year.  Sukoi won the Aussie Nats OPEN stunt twice and third another time in the hands of Mr. Batty and son.  I THINK Todd was using an OS FP .40 as I did mostly and the Aussie Sukoi used the Tiger .46.  The original Shameless now sports an Enya .45 6001.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:05:58 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 03:17:43 PM »
I found a photo of this same airplane in the original finish.
AMA 20934

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 01:36:30 AM »
A friend of mine had one of these and it always looked great in the air. I think he actually wore it out flying behind an ST46. I razzed him so much about flying a "Shamefull" that now I wonder if there was ever a full-bodied version? For some reason, I always associated this design with the Avanti, but they would appear to have no connection?

Divot McSlow

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 07:02:49 AM »
Hi Dave:

Doesn't it feel weird to have a model that qualifies for one of the "vintage" events? I have three designs that are considered Classic legal, and that sure makes me feel, well, vintage also... Perhaps there are a few here who might even have models that are OTS legal. That would make me feel a bit better.  ::)

Bob Hunt

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 10:55:28 AM »
Gee it’s been a while since I looked back here.  Bob- you sayin’ we’re old?  I guess so.  You’re a Classic if you flew Classic before there was a Classic.  I really didn’t have any notable designs in the Classic era but several at or near N30.  I still have drawings I did for quite a few from then that I never actually built.  Not sure how the ‘rules’ apply to those.  A few of those might pop up in the future.
Dave I had one I called Shameless 660 but in fact it was really a dressed up Music.  Just recently I designed and built a full blown piped Super Shameless that hangs on the wall unfinished.  I’m not happy with it’s weight but may strip off the silk and go at it again with silkspan.  I designed it specifically to carry my electronic gadgetry for autonomous engine throttle control using Igor’s accelerometer with an IC engine......

Dave
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:24:29 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 03:02:25 PM »
Thanks TY!   Hope to see you again at the Nats this year.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »
I have personally flown 2 Shameless ships. These planes are INCREDIBLY good flyers. I was stunned and that is not and easy thing for me, considering how many ships I have had in my hands. These could possibly be, the absolute best profiles flying today.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here