News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:15:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phantom F4E/F ish .  (Read 33493 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Phantom F4E/F ish .
« on: December 12, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »
Finally found the Pictures , rolled in the Plans in the bag . After going through all the shelves & plans . Wernt There  >:( :'( ,  LL~ .

This is on the Pine Hill resivoir on the North Shore ( N.Z. ) at Auckland , the one with the ' scale building ' looking over to where they put the abominable tower . GEES the Harbour used to be clean enough to swim in . Anyway , you get panoramic views from up there across the
Hauraki Gulf , Rangitoto Island etc etc . You just have to make sure you dont let go of the handle ( :-[) or hit the deck , bing concrette .

This is 1975 or 6 ( I will check ) . The planes a Seromodellor ' Mustunt ' scribled on , all the bulkheads ( formers ) in the same posn.
and straight wingtips set at 45 Deg. with flat leadouts and adjustable guide . OS 30 with 10 x 6 prop .
Balanced ' as per plan ' before muffler fitted , another 2 oz with that & 3/4 Oz. Tail Wt. to recorrect. Was 43 o total . Skimpy finish though .

Never got the Lufftwaffe insignia, was a choice between that & Israeli . Layout from the Cover of F.M. with Dave Rees cockpit artical in it ,
a wireless glass thing , and a mag I had had R.A.F. phantoms , so looked more like them , with their reworked Cowls for the Rolls Royce injuns .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Phantom F4E/F ish .
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 08:22:02 PM »
Same picture but bigger background , is a photocopy of a old photo & is ALL that is Available of the Original , Nother two so pitchers of them later .

Downunder picture , should be o.k. up there .  :##

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 08:53:22 PM »
This one might be a little clearer !

That's the Third One I Built , around 2003/4 , pictured at Rotorua , by the Lake. ( Lake not included  ;D)

OS max .35S in that, The second had ' various engines, firstly a 21/35 unmuffled. V good .21/46 , 40 & C 35 tried briefly.
After the nose fell Off , the new nose was for the Magnum Pro 25 ( OS 25 FSR clone ) after the flexi 10 x 6 Tornado was trimmed in a touch'n'go
up the resivoir there when it was blowing about 20 , to 9 1/2 it worked good . loose Taipan nva in Fox intake gave it a nice burble , tho a finger
on the needle would alter the running , so ' let go ' it would be back to the 4-2 trip .
The second nearly wore out , over 10 Gals. through it, flying rain or shine every second day on average around 2002 .
Up in 20 , 25 & 30 knot winds as the Americas Cup took all the limelight!.  :## usually on 55 Ft. of .018 seven strand .
Modded the tips eventually which got rid off ' the wag ' . The original the flaps were full span , & it flew slow so the tips'd
rock doing right angle squares .
Mike Walters stalled that going downhill in the wingover . Hand over taking him through the schedule he snapped full up , saw he had enough room for full down . went that way - he wondered if he should've , an as it had just about stopped by the doing the 180 , the Nose Dropped while He
stood there wondering , accelerated fine in the 20 Ft. straight down . And drove the nose up through the center section .
The olde Kiln Dried Balsa was light stiff & straight , in those days . I assumed He'd repair it when I gave it to him . Not so I learnt  this century . :(
Last I flew till the change of the melenium . Mustve been all the astronomical Alignment !  :-\

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 06:23:35 AM »
Looks like Erik Bjornwall's Mustunt from AM

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 08:49:10 PM »
Matt,
Do a search for the F4 that Billy Suarez did. This ship done up as either a Navy Blue Angel or Air Force Thunderbird is a show stopper.

Best,     DennisT

Yea , ive seen that , bit slim for my likes . The  Toothed LE is intresting . I like the Crusader / Fuse mounted undercarrage saves the wing .
Or at least saves weight , if youre putting it into other than bowling greens in good sailing weather .
Back when I did the first ( 75 ) the Novi II , USA1 , Shark 45 ( hadnt seen the plan ) were inspirational .

Have drawn up a larger ( 60 in. ) version , or development , back 2001 I mght get around to , for a .46 . But What colour do I paint it .  :o
Father would have a fit about the Nazi ones , just was easiest to do crosses / straight lines . He had to do the ink bow compass bit , on the first
R A F ones .
Found Ive two pictures of the Isrealie Sharks Mouth one , Theres a grey With Blue canopy RF in their musem - but no sharks mouth . HB~>

The wide trike gear you put one wheel on the ground and it pulls onto the deck , flat . In Good Sailing Weather . LL~
How to put an independent spar through to take the landing loads , without taking the wing off ( CRUNCH ) is the problem .
A F 104s got the same Fuse Gear , so you can ' fly it into the deck ' like a Carrier Arrival , without it turning to custard .

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:12:33 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 08:15:40 PM »
However , this one ( 60 in. span ) isnt eligable for N30. The Little squirt IS .  :)

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
The Suarez Phantom
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 08:33:54 AM »
A reduced-scale plan for the Suarez Phantom is shown below.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 06:27:34 PM »
Heres a link to the Suarez article and plan . http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/airplanes/phantom-jun-1971-aam.htm

Pontificateing & prevaricating about doing one Ive drawn up , with a ST 60 or the 51 . or is that stalker 66 that dont run right inverted . %^@

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 06:30:37 AM »
This was copied from his article.

"The wing was designed with the ability to flex, thus allowing the airplane to turn a smooth tight corner and maintain stability. This old concept is a good one. The dog-tooth leading edge acts as a fence, preventing airflow from slipping outward toward the tips, and thereby maintains good lift on a high wing-sweep stunter."

What do you think of that statement,"wing flex for stability" D-tube wing flex HB~>
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 12:19:18 AM »
Found These . misfiled .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 12:20:47 AM »
Blue is third one . Smashed by Freighters .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 12:22:39 AM »
2nd 1999 one , first with ST 21/35 . Before Paint .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 12:32:31 AM »
Tried it with the 21/35 , 21/40 , 21/46 , 35 Stunt ( C ) & OS 35 , wherapon the nose fell off with the vibration & leaky tank .
New Nose for the .25 . I D F A F Humbrol or Gunze colours . A brief wipe with a bit of petrol & a rag took an hour at one stage ,
to get of the gunk. Flew better again after .
Had ' a few ' ' forced landings ' canopies , wing repair for hinged centersection and spot landings ( vertical ) Fields a marsh in winter .
Hit a few trees too , and broke a line once or twice , was still airworthy at the end of its days , tho getting a bit sluggish .

Nice to have a any weather , she'll be right , ship . Not worried about scratching the paint .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 12:35:21 AM »
Post 1970 IDFAF colours , Id say earlier were left over pommy WWII paint used earlier .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2022, 06:49:48 PM »
Dragging THIS up again . as ' winglet ' thread got me digging for it .

Old grey & green was around 1976 . Full Span Flaps . 45 Deg. rib tips  .

The blue one is from around 2005 ish , refined tips ! glues it in ' the groove ' .

The unpainted / IDFAF one , ' EXPERIMENTAL ' was Tip Extensions on the 45 deg. tip rib .
Essenially a bit of 1/8 or 3/32 sheet , straightling aft  , added to the ends at the top , highpoint aft .

I started at 1/2 odd plus Ea Side ( one inch more span ) . When Id trimmed them ( second cut ? )
tip about 3/16 ( plus 3/8 span ) the turn was about EVEN . Whistle round Sq 8s , tho left was 6 in higher than Rt .

Down Maramarua in 20 + steady breeze. Or 15 to 25 gusting . Where the gusts earlier on the Std. Tips dragged them about ,
YAW & mild rocking . Theres a fair bit of line tension working to keep them near level , below 45 Deg. line elevation .

The observation was with the added ends trimmed ( about as per blue ship - the next built ) gave much reduced vortices ,
Thus YAw in gusts was near eliminated .
Seemed to require more force / deflection to ' unstick / ungroove ' it . ALSO once settled grooved in the rounds better .
As in it maintained ESTABLISHED COURSE , and required more handle to deflect its course or enter squares .
Soon picked up the new flight pilot requirements / changed operating deflections .

Was on 55 Ft of .018 Laystrate 7 strand . About as per Gieske & Nobler at 58 Ft. , at times .Would go o.k. on 70 ft of liteweight in calm .
Even dragged 70 Ft of .016 single strand o.k. , tho with a fair sag in it . Still handle movements transfer o.k. .

Suits a ball race 25 thru PB 35 or maybe a good light 40 . Is just a Reworked Bjornwall P-51 Mustunt !! Wing , moments , Areas .

Can send Drgs. But better just the rework , if you can get the Bjornwall plan . ( Peter White has it ) .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here