Nostalgia 30 > Nostalgia 30

NOSTALGIA 30

<< < (2/4) > >>

RandySmith:

--- Quote from: Howard Rush on July 19, 2009, 07:26:29 PM ---You present a good argument for not joining PAMPA.  Event proliferation could destroy stunt as it has speed, combat, and racing.

--- End quote ---

Hi Howard,  Nostalgia 30 will not destroy or hurt Stunt,  I can not fathom why Nostalgia 30 is a good argument for NOT joining PAMPA either???

Randy

RandySmith:

--- Quote from: phil c on July 23, 2009, 05:37:06 PM ---Splitting an event into more and more splinters does cause problems with entries, rules, and more stuff to argue about.  Most stunt contests I've attended would have been better served by having all the events on just two circles and using 4 judges and running all the PAMPA classes intermixed.

--- End quote ---

Phil

Nostalgia 30 does not splinter the event, N-30 does not add a bunch of new rules, and I see no reason why N-30 would add to people arguing about N-30, there is no good reason for that. It is not at all like what happened to Combat and speed. N-30 is a complete apples and oranges and does in NO way reflect the combat and speed event problem, Proliferation is not what hurt combat and speed anyway, the rules being changed all the time and the enormous infighting going on, plus going to FAI with most planes coming from E Europe along with motors and the fact that a lot of the flyers got older and quit.
VSC would NOT benefit from going to 2 circles and 4 judges for nothing but PAMPA classes, Brodaks  would not  benefit from that either, N-30 is setup to be very flexible so contest management can run it or not anyway they want to.
I have had many calls emails and letter from people and they are about 99.9% positive encouraging people to build NEW planes to fly, NOT taking anyone away from the existing events
N-30 will only add planes and more people flying, not less people

Regards
Randy

RandySmith:

--- Quote from: L0U CRANE on July 27, 2009, 03:55:51 PM ---Randy, and all...

At the Karl Marschinke Memorial Meet in Tucson, late this September, we're going to try a slightly different idea. Super 70s.

It is essentially similar to the proposed Nostalgia 30 rules you posted above, EXCEPT for this concept:

Super 70s eligible models are those which first appeared in the decade from January 1, 1970, but not after December 31, 1979. Classic and Old Time models are not eligible for the Super 70s event.

The reasoning is simply to protect existing, popular events - specifically Classic - which would quite likely dwindle away if models from a later era were to compete in the same event. Also, separating Super 70s and Classic models this way should make a good test of interest in the 'next decade's' designs.

--- End quote ---

Hi Lou

Thanks for you post.
N-30 planes DO NOT compete against Classic planes. They are in an entirely differant group, please read the PAMPA E.C. passed proposal again.
It is your contest so you can run whatever you like...However Nostalgia 30 is now ..NOT.. a proposed event, it IS an official PAMPA event,
It was adopted unanimously by the PAMPA EC members, and it was carefully thought out to attempt to fix such problems as the many differant types of 70s events,
You can go around here for several years and see Classic 1979, Nostalgia 1984, Classic 1982 etc...and other events being ran on the east coast.
 We needed ONE Nationwide set of rules so that people will not have to deal with the many differant rules for all the differant contest, N-30 does just that, It makes it much easier to build a plane for this event.
You may consider running N-30 since only 1970s and before designs, are legal to fly now, and it is a recognized event just as Classic is,
We have an official NEW N-30 event..why not support it??
 I don;t see any real difference in the event your proposing except for It has the name N-30, and has a rolling 30 year cutoff, a feature that was very much liked by many people in the original Classic event.

I don't see trying to "protect Classic from N-30, as N-30 is no threat to Classic. People do now ,and will build whatever they personally want to build and fly. N-30 is about getting these historic planes in the public eye before they are lost forever, and there are some in danger of just that.
It would seem to me to be counterproductive to not support the N-30 event in favor of another very similar type of trial event.

N-30 will NOT hurt Classic, and it was never designed to, I have heard some talk about doom and gloom, from a small amount of people but I am very sure this will only help with more people and more planes flying CL stunt events
Regards
Randy

RandySmith:
""The Post-Classic-cutoff models are great, but not quite designed around the developments we've gained from in the past 5 years of so.""

Hmmm Lou
If your only talking about N-30 models...they are ALL  30 year old designs, if it is the technology,That is an entirely differant discussion there, one I am not going to worry about, one that will turn into a big deal. If you start to take away or worry about the recent developments a lot of people with modern stuff in Old Time  and  Classic ships, not even to mention N-30 planes you will open a bucket or worms. I have seen at VSC and many other places, Hi tech computer boards, EL motors, programmed flight boxes, AAC, ABC, ABN, Plasma engine parts etc in pre 1952 planes. Forget about the tons of other stuff like super light wheels  cnc  mufflers spinner and the like, handmade CF props, computer designed props, CF control system, the list goes forever.

Many people are concerned about this, but I think it is here to stay.

Regards
Randy

Eric Viglione:
As someone who grew up a little later that those can appreciate the current "classic", I really am excited about N30! Dove's, Patternmaters, Stiletto's, THOSE are MY generations classics. It would seem crazy to say that those planes are never to be regarded as a classic, ever... The time is now! A lot of the flyers my age I hang out with are still kinda obsessed with the gold ring in PA, and had no real vested interest in Classic as it sat before, but are actually excited about building something for N30.

And the 30year rolling cut off is key, this will continue to bring in more of "our" designs. When Classic was first instituted, you could build a double threat ship, but PA planes have progressed a bit since then and all the better preforming classic ships have been cherry picked and built many times over. I could see some of the N30 designs becoming a double threat.  The N30 designs in the hands of up-and-coming flyers also flying them in Intermediate, Advanced  will get more stick time at contests, and no reason they couldn't be used in Expert as we have seen some do with the better flying Classic ships.

This is a great idea! Thanks to all involved!
EricV

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version