News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:47:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: N-30 Vector  (Read 5118 times)

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
N-30 Vector
« on: June 14, 2020, 05:07:02 AM »
I just finished a full size N-30 Vector, which is my first electric plane.  The only thing left is to program the electronics, but I'm still waiting on the arrival of a battery charger.  This is also the first plane I have completed in over two years.  I had a few other things to resolve in my life, but now I'm back to building!  Can't wait to fly this one!

Don

Online George Grossardt

• Commander
Re: N-30 Vector
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 05:53:30 AM »
I just finished a full size N-30 Vector, which is my first electric plane.  The only thing left is to program the electronics, but I'm still waiting on the arrival of a battery charger.  This is also the first plane I have completed in over two years.  I had a few other things to resolve in my life, but now I'm back to building!  Can't wait to fly this one!

Don

Love the color combo Don.  Good luck with it. 

Offline Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »
I think the 630sqin  vector may be legal
 check with Randy  to be sure
ALAN E BUCK

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 04:14:10 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I now have a battery charger, should be able to get in a maiden flight soon, depending on the crazy weather!

Don

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 04:29:02 AM »
Dope finish?

Yes all dope finished.  It looks OK from 10 feet away, but it didn't come out as nice as I would have liked.  I unfortunately used the new DC 540 formula primer and it didn't work well at all.  When I shot the Brodak Crystal clear the paint pulled up from all the fillets and the grey primer bled through in several spots.  Once that happened I decided it wasn't worth polishing.  I just hope it flies well and the paint doesn't blow off in flight!

Don

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 06:45:27 AM »
Great looking paint scheme! 
What is your electric setup?  Overall weight?
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 05:02:45 AM »
Great looking paint scheme! 
What is your electric setup?  Overall weight?

Thanks Brent.  Ready to fly with battery and tip weight its 61 ounces.  My set up is a 3515 Cobra Motor, KR Gov (ver. 2), ZTW 65A ESC, Hobby Star 3000mAh 5 cell batteries, and 12 x 6 APC prop.  I'm going to try a XOAR prop as well.  I'm getting 5 second laps on 62 foot lines at 9200 rpm. So far the wings are level, it turns quick in both directions with no abnormal characteristics, but it is a bit light on the lines up top, so I've dialed in some gain on the governor for the next time out.  I'm thinking of ordering another Vector quick build kit from Tom Morris.  This plane would be good for Saturday N-30, and PAMPA on Sunday!

Don

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 10:22:15 AM »
Thanks Brent.  Ready to fly with battery and tip weight its 61 ounces.  My set up is a 3515 Cobra Motor, KR Gov (ver. 2), ZTW 65A ESC, Hobby Star 3000mAh 5 cell batteries, and 12 x 6 APC prop.  I'm going to try a XOAR prop as well.  I'm getting 5 second laps on 62 foot lines at 9200 rpm. So far the wings are level, it turns quick in both directions with no abnormal characteristics, but it is a bit light on the lines up top, so I've dialed in some gain on the governor for the next time out.  I'm thinking of ordering another Vector quick build kit from Tom Morris.  This plane would be good for Saturday N-30, and PAMPA on Sunday!

Don
I think you have a good combination.  Which 3515?    Using the gain is what I would try first.  Personally the Vector has insufficient side area for me but that is a personal thing.  The ones that I see fly around here all fly great but appear to have the same issue.  Maybe it is the design, there are a lot of ships that are similarly designed from that era, including my own and it was not exempt from free-flighting the OH8 on a a calm day.  More power - good choice.

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 11:04:42 AM »
Nice work. Neat paint scheme layout.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 07:04:14 AM »
I think you have a good combination.  Which 3515?    Using the gain is what I would try first.  Personally the Vector has insufficient side area for me but that is a personal thing.  The ones that I see fly around here all fly great but appear to have the same issue.  Maybe it is the design, there are a lot of ships that are similarly designed from that era, including my own and it was not exempt from free-flighting the OH8 on a a calm day.  More power - good choice.

Ken

I dialed in the gain to 4 and it now has real good line tension up top. However it actually turns too quick and too tight with a slight hunting in level flight, so a bit of nose weight has been added for the next time out.  Attached is the Cobra information.

Don

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 07:10:17 AM »
UGH! Sorry about the primer!  That is a raw deal.  At least with e power there is no fuel to attack a weakened bond-so if it doesn't blow right off all is good.  I'm rubbing out a new Staris right now.  Many hours of sanding clear!

Yep a real bummer, but it flies quite well.  I have a modified Dreadnought with a PA .75 almost done.  It's cleared and polished, I just need to glue the flaps and elevators on,  and break in the engine before I install it.  This one was glass cloth, Klass Kote epoxy and one coat of Nason 2 part auto clear.  As long as I keep it out of the pavement the finish is darn near bullet proof!

Don

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 09:45:11 AM »
I dialed in the gain to 4 and it now has real good line tension up top. However it actually turns too quick and too tight with a slight hunting in level flight, so a bit of nose weight has been added for the next time out.  Attached is the Cobra information.

Don
Great - I was concerned that you had one of the higher kv versions.  You have the best one.  Don't forget that batteries are nose weight.  You can move them or get a bigger one.  I know that the nose is probably a bit tight but I have seen a ThunderPower 6s fit in a Vector 40 and the gain and draw from a 6s is better than the 5s.  Do that only if you need weight though.  Evan a large 4s will power it (I am pretty sure the 35xx series is a 4,5,6s)  or a 3200 5s.  Head room on the battery is a must and if you have to add weight then why not make it useful.  I still don't know why electrics fly better nose heavy, they just do.

One thing electric has in common with IC is how much "fuel" it uses when the air conditions change.  What is different is that electric gives you the same run, it just uses more battery to do it. 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 03:38:30 PM »

Don

Don  it  looks  GREAT,  very good  craftsmanship as  usual
!
Do not  worry  it is  N30 legal   and  the side  area  is  exactly   what it  should be, This  was  a plane  designed  for an  HP 40,  or  ST46,   The plane  has flown  at many NATs  and  Other countries  NATs  and  at the  World Championships, It flies  great  as  it was  designed, try to keep it under  60 ounces

Let us know  how  you like it, again  all your  stuff  is  very nicely done

Randy

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 05:46:43 AM »
Thanks Randy.  After 20 flights or so I've got it dialed in pretty good.  Once my back heals up I'm going to get some handle time!

Don

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here