Nostalgia 30 > Nostalgia 30

Gieseke Nobler 46

<< < (4/4)

Elwyn Aud:
This photo seemed appropriate here. No wheel pants though.

Gerald Schamp:
Referring to the earlier posted drawing from Bob, Don McClave gave me a copy of this drawing and I drew up a set of plans based on this drawing and information that was in the 1969 Stunt News from an interview with Bob. All these measurements were put into these plans and came out good. My plans are only in pencil, and the plane is set up for an LA .46, but others can be substituted. If there is some interest in these plans I could draw them, ink and letter them and make them available.

Made a mistake here. I'm referring to the articles by Wynn Paul in the December 1976 and January 1977 of Model Aviation. My memory sometimes adjusts things in various places, its a constant battle but with reference to the magazines in print that I have, a few corrections can be made and hopefully clear things up a bit. 

SteveMoon:
Not sure how I've never seen this thread before. Not really sure how I
stumbled across it today either! I do think I can add some useful info here
though. The plans that have been posted here were drawn/inked by me in
the late '90s. At that time Bob was flying what had evolved into a .60 sized
G Nobler/Bear. Though the name of the plane on the plans is Gieseke Nobler 97
it is more commonly referred to as a Bear 97; or just Bear. About twenty
years ago almost every competitive flyer in the North Texas are had built at
least one of these. Doug, Mike Scott, Phil Nickles and myself all had at least one.
Some are still flying! By this time Bob had progressed to pipe motors and these
planes had OPS, PA, and even Irvine RE motors in them.

The pic of the red Bear 46 was built by my brother Doug. The two most inboard
ribs are removed, which leaves a wing are of 620 sq in. The wingtips are more
traditionally shaped; like the Gieseke Nobler. The stab and elevators
are left at the same size on the Bear 97 plans. The number one key here: build
it light! Overall, a really good flying plane. The finished product is a really nice
flying and nice sized plane. Fits easily into almost any car! To build one, use the
Ultra Hobby Products '97 Bear plans leaving out the root ribs.

Steve

Robertc:
Not having any info, I made up my 46 sized by enlarging the Top Flite kit with a few changes that Bob said to do when I built the kit.  After 3 years, only 5 flights.  Lost field.

phil c:
2022 is not that far away.  Using somewhat smaller planes, electric power, and learn how to use EVERY option you can work with.  Once you can do that -work up to a larger plane if it seems to get easier to fl well.

Phil Cartier
717-566-3810

ps.  The key, once you've got a straight plane, it's easier to fly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version