News:

Advertise Here

• January 23, 2022, 08:39:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: first flight/last flight.  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
first flight/last flight.
« on: November 29, 2019, 05:35:39 PM »
  Test flew the F8U.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 07:41:37 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Online Ken Culbertson

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: first flight/last flight.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 03:02:23 PM »
It ia a shame that they don't teach dead stick wind flying any more.  Assuming you had some wind you could have done the lazy eight.  With a little wind you can save almost anything that is still under power and many that are dead stick by climbing uo to about 30 degrees then diving at a shallow angle on the tail wind side to about 3/4of the way into the wind then pull up (down control) till you get vertical then add as much as she has on down.  You will probably stall at the top but it will be high enough and down wind so the plane flies another day.

The problem with tuning towards the ground when the plane is near stall is that it takes too long to start the turn and you quickly run out of altitude.  By going the other way you have a chance.  In dead calm, resign yourself to repairing the scratches on the rudder and land it inverted.  I have saved a lot of repairs this way many were complete dead stick.  The stronger the wind, the easier this is.

Now go fix your friend - nothing short of a fire is irreparable! y1

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke, don't fix it.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 04:49:33 PM »
Why couldn't you pull out. Too slow or control issues?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 01:42:17 PM »
OK, so, mechanical. That makes sense.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Ken Culbertson

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 02:40:54 PM »
Hi Steve. Sorry for late answer.  It is my Ben Howard Ike. I beam, silk covered, solid white, ST .51. 11 x 5 wood Rev Up.  Some time during the flight it got hinky.  After finally getting into the aft section I found the push rod had slipped. I am using a grooved slider arm on the control horn. I also found that it was hitting wood that I "thought" had been removed. Not so apparently. I made adjustments and not am waiting for entry to our flying site. That and getting over surgery on my right hand.  H^^
I will leave it there but I am retracting my prior suggestion in your case.  I have had that happen and there is nothing worse than that feeling that the flaps are flying the plane.  By the time you realize that the controls are reversed it is too late.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke, don't fix it.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here