News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dixon/Smith Magnum Plus  (Read 28149 times)

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Dixon/Smith Magnum Plus
« on: October 21, 2016, 12:58:08 AM »
Was wondering if this design is on Nostalgia 30 list yet?

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: Dixon/Smith Magnum Plus
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:26:20 PM »
I'm not sure when it was originated, was hoping Randy would know, Tom Dixon doesn't do email. I thought it was drawn up right after the SIG Magnum came out. thought that this was the plane that Randy did the Contra-Rotating prop ST .60 in. 

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 09:23:43 PM »

THIS Magnum ? ! Date the Comp. ? ! .

91 / 92

Nats Tape . Glareing at the prop unit at 1:56 , and starts it up & lets it go . After That ?? .Ive only got that far yet .

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 07:42:26 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 07:52:29 PM »
   That is a cool video. This is one of the early 90's NATS at Lawrenceville, IL. I'm thinking either '92 or '93? I think I was there that night. Lots of "notables" in there also. Bill Rich, I think, and I think that's Gary Hajek launching for Randy. I have it in my head that the engine was a one off bar stock engine randy built for the experiment, and not a ST.60??? It was not a true contra-rotating prop but the second prop acted as a stator to help with the air flow down the fuselage. it had a really neat sound when it spooled up at start and wound down on landing. Might do a search on the site as I think Randy has discussed this before, or maybe he'll see this and fill in the blanks. I remember the airplane having a really nice corner, probably the best I had seen to that point in time. I would love to see and hear it in the air again!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

PS to add that I see a real young Allen Brickhaus also.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:31:14 PM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 12:20:47 PM »
Thanks Dan, I wan't sure if it was an ST .60 or not. Yes I see a young Allen Brickhause in there too. I think Windy shot some video of this too, thought I could hear him in the background. I was hoping this design would fall into the Nostalgia 30 era, as it was a redo of the SIG Magnum that Randy and Tom Dixon did. A friend up here in Oregon, Dave Royer, is flying one of these and it does really well. Has a Stalker .61 in it and the sound is super.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 02:26:50 PM »
      And I forgot to add that was Lew McFarland's T-34! I was there, as in the very last frame or two, that is my back with the light blue shirt with the Arch and sailplane on the back. I'm still thinking '92 or '93. I will have to dig through some photo albums for pictures from that year.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 04:14:26 PM »
Dan, yea I remember that from Windy's videos. I used to subscribe to all of his video stuff and remember those days. Didn't Lew have a p-51 Mustang at one of the Nats also?

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 03:50:14 PM »
Was wondering if this design is on Nostalgia 30 list yet?

I think it maybe  if  NOT  it is  very close
I sent you the   APEX  and   VECTOR  plan  today, they are  both  N-30  legal

Randy

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »
Dan, yea I remember that from Windy's videos. I used to subscribe to all of his video stuff and remember those days. Didn't Lew have a p-51 Mustang at one of the Nats also?
I am currentlly listtening to his seriews on the Spitfire, he talkes a lot about you and Rich Walbridge in this series. You were building a P-47? where did that one go off to!!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 02:28:31 PM »
Mark, yes I was building a P-47 D from Pat's plans that he did for the guys in Brazil. It turned into a huge project that was going to be powered by a big Saito 4 stroke. Don't remember what size it was, 72 or bigger???? Anyhow, I built one fuse and it probably would have been okay, but then I wanted more detail and then it got to be just too much work. I glassed the fuse and thought it would make a great molding buck. Any it would have, except by that time it was somewhat bigger than Pat's plans were and then the fuse formers weren't big enough. Then instead of using the wing that Pat did, I decided to get Bob Hunt make me a foam wing for it, and on and on and on. A guy from the midwest was interested in building one of these planes and so I sold him the whole kittin-cabboddle of stuff and as far as I know he never finished it. I wish I could have finished it, but I overwhelmed myself AGAIN  and wasted a bunch of money and time trying to do something I'm not capable of doing, ergo the Precious Metal Mustang. And so it goes with my model airplane career. I did manage to get another Tiger .60 and was tempted to build an Impact, but changed my mind on that too. So right now I'm at another standstill until the bug bites my in the butt again.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 03:17:22 PM »
Mark, yes I was building a P-47 D from Pat's plans that he did for the guys in Brazil. It turned into a huge project that was going to be powered by a big Saito 4 stroke. Don't remember what size it was, 72 or bigger???? Anyhow, I built one fuse and it probably would have been okay, but then I wanted more detail and then it got to be just too much work. I glassed the fuse and thought it would make a great molding buck. Any it would have, except by that time it was somewhat bigger than Pat's plans were and then the fuse formers weren't big enough. Then instead of using the wing that Pat did, I decided to get Bob Hunt make me a foam wing for it, and on and on and on. A guy from the midwest was interested in building one of these planes and so I sold him the whole kittin-cabboddle of stuff and as far as I know he never finished it. I wish I could have finished it, but I overwhelmed myself AGAIN  and wasted a bunch of money and time trying to do something I'm not capable of doing, ergo the Precious Metal Mustang. And so it goes with my model airplane career. I did manage to get another Tiger .60 and was tempted to build an Impact, but changed my mind on that too. So right now I'm at another standstill until the bug bites my in the butt again.
I need to come have a sit down with you LOL,, we will get you sorted out ,,
sure would like to see you flying some again,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 09:00:40 PM »
Got confirmation today with a set of plans from Tom Dixon, that the Magnum Plus was drawn up in 1987, one year after the SIG Magnum came out. So 2017 the Magnum Plus will be Nostalgia 30 legal. Makes me happy, Maybe Dave Royer too.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 02:07:14 PM »
That'd make the ex-Dirt "Mutant Magnum" N-30 legal, too. I need to cut it open and see what went wrong with the control system. ST G.51 ABC or SSW ASP .53. Gitcha some of that!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 12:56:30 AM »
I'm not sure when it was originated, was hoping Randy would know, Tom Dixon doesn't do email. I thought it was drawn up right after the SIG Magnum came out. thought that this was the plane that Randy did the Contra-Rotating prop ST .60 in. 

It was  maybe the  early  1990s ,  It was a Magnum  with a   SV-11 wing  in it, so it would make much more lift.

Randy

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 12:18:21 PM »
It was  maybe the  early  1990s ,  It was a Magnum  with a   SV-11 wing  in it, so it would make much more lift.

Randy

Hi Randy;
    Was I correct on the engine? Was it a one off bar stock engine you built just for the project? I remember talking with you about it's purpose that night. Interesting concept and it appeared to me that it was working very well. I wouldn't mind seeing it fly again!
   HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 11:46:18 PM »

Hi Randy;
    Was I correct on the engine? Was it a one off bar stock engine you built just for the project? I remember talking with you about it's purpose that night. Interesting concept and it appeared to me that it was working very well. I wouldn't mind seeing it fly again!
   HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
    Dan McEntee

Hi Dan

Yes the  whole deal was a custom setup designed by Scott Bair, and  built  by  me and Scott , it was  turning  2   12.5  in  props at just under   10k  , it may show again  with a better  bearing  setup I have  worked out,  the original  beat up  the prop bearing pretty bad, it needed  replacing  about  every  40 to 50 flights, there was a lot of pressure on that bearing  when the  props were hooked up running. The setup  really  cleaned up the  flight performance of the Magnum, it was very clean thru everything even with very hard corners, and tracking was  very good also

Randy

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 11:50:06 PM »
Got confirmation today with a set of plans from Tom Dixon, that the Magnum Plus was drawn up in 1987, one year after the SIG Magnum came out. So 2017 the Magnum Plus will be Nostalgia 30 legal. Makes me happy, Maybe Dave Royer too.

Hi Gerald

I didn't remember exactly when it was drawn up, but I had large  SV wings back in  1987 , so if Tom said  87,  then its  legal, and  will make you a fine ship,  just don;t  use  too large of a prop on it

Regards
Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here