News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:33:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cessna Ag Wagon by Larry Kruse - article  (Read 11375 times)

Offline Sport Pilot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Cessna Ag Wagon by Larry Kruse - article
« on: May 17, 2014, 03:17:05 PM »
Good night gents  H^^

A friend of mine is building the Cessna Ag Wagon by the plan designed by Larry Kruse, he just finished to cut all the wooden parts

I´m trying to help him in order to got the original article of the model, and also for me too since I like this design a lot

If someone have the article and dont bother in sharing it with us with will be of great help

He has two engines options, an excellent Enya 35 III B or a also nice Fox 35 Stunt (80´s series)

Thanks in advance to all
Regards
Carlo
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:20:55 PM by Sport Pilot »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Cessna Ag Wagon by Larry Kruse - article
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:52:40 PM »
pm your postal address , if youd like the magazine . H^^

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:34:17 AM »
This is old but if anyone is interested.

John

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 09:35:26 AM »
And here is the article.

John

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 10:06:57 AM »
John,

Please Post a photo if you can.

Charles

Hi Charles,

A photo is in the article posted in John Tomlin's #4 post.  What more do you want?

Keith

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 07:16:32 PM »
I cannot open it. I'm having difficulty with some of these links.

This airplane has been covered pretty well before with several pictures posted of the stock as per plans version, and the modified model I made into Dusty, the real crop duster for profile C/L scale. A simple search will turn these up.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 09:10:40 PM »
http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6157

some pics without the download.

Phil

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 01:43:35 PM »
I cannot open it. I'm having difficulty with some of these links.

it is a PDF file, its the single most universal file format available, all computers can open it IF you download adobe reader or other programs, but Adobe is the native software and its free, Adobe is the company that makes all that cool graphics software like photoshop, lightroom, and a list of others,, in fact here let me help you,,

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=windows&product=10

if you go to the link I sent you can download it andthen all these magic links you cant read that you want people to do something with, you will be able to do it yourself ok?
glad to be of service, now, Charles,, am I still a Troll?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 02:45:16 PM »
I use something called Oracle on Linux. It's a KDE .pdf reader.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 04:42:51 PM »
    Hi All:

About a year ago, I purchased the above Cessna Ag Wagon that was ready to fly.  The builder did an immaculate job in building the airplane!  There was however, one major problem!  The plane was very tail heavy!!! I needed to add about 12 oz. of engine, tank,  prop, spinner etc. to get the plane to balance per the plans. 

I have no idea as to why the plane is so tail heavy but it is.  As soon as the temps drop about 10 degrees, I will attempt to fly it to see how well it performs.  It is an unique looking plane!

Any suggestions as to what caused it to become so tail heavy other than very heavy wood used for the tail.

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
  Hi Frank;
    There is a lot  of balsa acreage at the back of the airplane. Heavier than desired would would be a start, and then a whole lot of paint to make it look nice adds up in a hurry, then any clear he might have put on. All of that on the tail makes it difficult to balance. Especially if it is painted white and he tried to make it look like a refrigerator. heavy wood for the stab, elevator, fin and rudder, and the rear portion of the fuselage are all well behind the balance point. When I built Dusty, I think I stretched the nose a bit to make it look correct, but not much. I was sorta careful picking wood but wasn't really too concerned with weight because I planned on a iron on finish anyway. It balanced well enough that I was able to use a tong muffler on the LA.40 I have it powered with. I added a rib bay to each wing, but that wouldn't affect balance at all I think. I'm just guessing the builder really laid down the paint. Do you know what it was finished with? It should fly OK, the Twister wing can carry a lot of weight.
   Type at you later,
   Dan  McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 07:05:48 AM »
      Hi Dan:

Thank you for the reply.

I think that you nailed the tail heavy problem.

The plane is painted white and looks like a refrigerator!  A masterful finish.  Perhaps he bought the wood from a LHS or worse yet, a Craft Store!  I have no idea as to what the wing has been covered with as it is buried under a near 20 point finish.  There are faint brush marks evident in the finish.  The covering material feels a bit like Coverite from the 70's.

I bought the plane on looks alone as it came ready to fly with a new Fox .36 RC engine installed.  It had not been flown.  At $25.00 I thought that it was a "Best Buy.

I fitted an older HP .40 engine, tank, spinner and prop to get it to balance at the spar.  A ST G.49 Sport also balanced the plane sans prop, spinner and tank.  The ST alone weigh about 12 oz.!  Is quite a large engine overall!

I can only hope that it will fly as well as my HP .40 powered Twister.  What a great flying plane! I will fly it next week when the temps may return to the 80's! 

Perhaps I should start a thread re. all of the pre built planes that I have bought in he past and how well they were constructed and how well they flew.  Some were great and others not!

Sincerely,

Frank McCune

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 10:22:47 PM »
    Hi Frank;
     You may be surprised on how well it will fly. I don't think you posted a total weight, did you? There is a guy named Jason Pearson, who lives in down state Illinois, who had a Twister that he and his Dad had built, entirely out of PINE! It weight 65 ounces or something like that, but looked pretty nice! Blue iron on covering and white paint. But it would fly a respectable pattern and I have seen it fly several times. Brett Buck has seen it, I think! Yours might not be a contest winner, but if you like it and it flies well enough for you, you bought a winner for 25 bucks!
    I plan to build some kind of model and paint it white, just to test a method of finishing that  friend of mine has done, and that is "doping the dope." As you finish the model, and you are doing the clear dope build ups, tint the dope with a splash of white. As you do the subsequent coats, you are building up a nice, opaque finish. Mu son Sean did this on his Don Hutchenson T-6 stunter with pleasing results. It should work with any color, but I guess is best worth the effort on the lighter colors that don't cover well.
    Keep us posted on the first flights.
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 06:39:37 PM »
      Hi Dan:

I am anxious to fly the Ag Wagon as the builder installed his own idea of how a bell crank should work.  His bell crank responds very little until it nears the limit of movement then it proceeds with a large amount of action.  Sort of like the power steering on newer cars.  They do not do much until the wheel is turned a large amount and then a whole lot action takes place.  Makes parking easier.  Would this be exponential vs. linear?  Have you ever encountered this type of a be;; crank?  I hope that I like it because I also bought three other planes from him that have the same type of bell crank installed. Lol

I will let you know after I fly it!

All of the best,

Frank

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 04:46:48 PM »
       Hello All:

I got to fly the Ag Cat today.  What a great flying machine!  I had an 11-5 prop om the HP .40 and it was too fast!!!  Despite only running in the slowest 2 cycle mode. it was very fat and pulled my hand and arm to a point of fatigue!  I will attempt to run the engine in a fast 4 cycle and/or go to an 11-4 prop.

As I mentioned earlier, the bell crank  is very unique in this plane.  When the lead outs are pulled one way or the other, they will snap back to neutral when released!  They are spring loaded to do this.  The builder of this plane told me that he received a patent for this bell crank in 1972.  I think that I have two other planes that I bought from him that also have the same type of bell crank installed in them.  He was very proud of this device.  Anybody have any idea as to what these things are?

Be well my friends,

Frank McCune

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 05:00:24 PM »
"Anybody have any idea as to what these things are?"

I'm going to guess that a spring-loaded to neutral bellcrank is a real bad idea. Not saying that it might not get a patent, because that's not the wheelhouse of the Patent Office...only "has it been previously patented". That or the guy was blowing smoke about the patent award. I'm sure that's happened before!

Just today, my fishing buddy showed me a plaque that showed up Friday (we were fishing on Lk. Washington). He's a retired Boeing machinist, and his last bunch of years was spent hemstitching shims from fiberglass (G-10, I guess). Came with a drawing of the cutter, which was nothing but a center-cutting 2 flute EM with what looked like about 45 deg. chamfers that were each about 25%D. Nothing that most machinists haven't seen or even used dozens of times. But he got $800 and apparently some royalty checks in the future. Seems nuts to me!  :o Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here