Nostalgia 30 > Nostalgia 30

Bud Light stunter by Gid Adkisson

<< < (5/5)

Walter Hicks:
More on the LASER- The fuse was built like a stick free light model in the rear with the exception of a molded rear top block. However when you got it all together it was very rigid. The front end had a lot of weight in the original design( it was 6" wide at the front of the Cowl" Some of Gid's planes were a foam wing and some were built up. The plans have some issues that need to be clarified which thankfully Gid helped me with. I would use the original
design that Gid had in Model Aviation plans . I had some plans redrawn to supposedly save weight and they are not nearly as good as the original and did not save weight. Built it as per Gid's plans . This plane has an excellent corner even at the weight. I would hands down recommend anyone build this
keeping in mind that you want to keep it as light as possible. I will use a RO Jett 67 RE in my new one and build the front end lighter( using the original plans ) I will Monokote the wings stab/elevator to save weight . Paint the fuse . Bob Hunt cut and sheeted a foam wing set for me that was way lighter
than my original . The flaps are a bit hard to make ( see plans ). Do not worry about the Stab/elevator / Rudder being flimsy. When you put the guide wires on per Gid's instructions they are rigid enough. The fuse is not easy to make , ( see  Model Aviation article) it shows the fuse sides before they
are put in a jig and the cross members are put in. The fuse formers are a pain to make as they have lots of stringer cut outs that need to be made
accurately. The front end takes some doing to mold the sheeting around the formers. All the work is well worth it for sure . My building and painting skills were not where they are now so I think my next one will be way better. Even if you finish at 80 ounces it will fly well as it has a big wing 63" and
740 squares . I used vinyl for my letters, stars etc and that in itself was heavy I will have stencils made and paint them on this time.
Windy Urtnowski has video of him flying at the Nats , not sure which one but it is worth the research to see it. If anyone is interested I have plans and
the article in Model Aviation and also templates for the formers etc.

fred cesquim:

--- Quote from: Walter Hicks on February 28, 2023, 07:40:12 PM ---More on the LASER- The fuse was built like a stick free light model in the rear with the exception of a molded rear top block. However when you got it all together it was very rigid. The front end had a lot of weight in the original design( it was 6" wide at the front of the Cowl" Some of Gid's planes were a foam wing and some were built up. The plans have some issues that need to be clarified which thankfully Gid helped me with. I would use the original
design that Gid had in Model Aviation plans . I had some plans redrawn to supposedly save weight and they are not nearly as good as the original and did not save weight. Built it as per Gid's plans . This plane has an excellent corner even at the weight. I would hands down recommend anyone build this
keeping in mind that you want to keep it as light as possible. I will use a RO Jett 67 RE in my new one and build the front end lighter( using the original plans ) I will Monokote the wings stab/elevator to save weight . Paint the fuse . Bob Hunt cut and sheeted a foam wing set for me that was way lighter
than my original . The flaps are a bit hard to make ( see plans ). Do not worry about the Stab/elevator / Rudder being flimsy. When you put the guide wires on per Gid's instructions they are rigid enough. The fuse is not easy to make , ( see  Model Aviation article) it shows the fuse sides before they
are put in a jig and the cross members are put in. The fuse formers are a pain to make as they have lots of stringer cut outs that need to be made
accurately. The front end takes some doing to mold the sheeting around the formers. All the work is well worth it for sure . My building and painting skills were not where they are now so I think my next one will be way better. Even if you finish at 80 ounces it will fly well as it has a big wing 63" and
740 squares . I used vinyl for my letters, stars etc and that in itself was heavy I will have stencils made and paint them on this time.
Windy Urtnowski has video of him flying at the Nats , not sure which one but it is worth the research to see it. If anyone is interested I have plans and
the article in Model Aviation and also templates for the formers etc.

--- End quote ---

would be nice to see the plans and templates, maybe raise interest on some of the builders here

Walter Hicks:
Fred, I am very Tech challenged and don't have the ability to post pictures. AMA sells the plans , I have the plywood templates I make for the parts.
The AMA article does a good job of pictures of all of the parts .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version