Nostalgia 30 > Nostalgia 30

Big Jim's N30 designs Patternmsater

(1/11) > >>

jose modesto:
Here is a photo of Big Jim's Patter Master Merco 60
Big Jim's foam wing,stab ,elevators. 68.5oz
El Jay (large Jim) Will take photo his model is in basement)
The Bj's comes on line this year designer on the late 70's built by windy 1980's
Big Jim has four Pattern Masters,two El Jays(large Jim)40/46 , SJ35(Small Jim),Bj ST60(big Jim),modifies Sig Banshee(great flying plane) and some others that I'm documenting.
1) Big Jim's pattern Master
2)Windy's killer B(BJ)
3) The 900 and Black Sunday
4) Windy's  Relentless
5) Big Jim's  Pattern Master K&B 40 1973

Matt Colan:
Look at the size of those flaps  on Windy's plane in the 3rd picture  :o

jose modesto:
Matt these models are Big Jim's BJ's when wyndy returned to Nat's competition he built a Sweeper rather large model and Came in 21st place that year he was introduced to Big Jim and Jim gave him this design to use. Jim cut and sheeted the wing and tails Windy then made the top five 8 years in a row, the first five were with the BJ design and the following three with the PatternMaster. Windy being a great builder and designer of FLYING ART created his own look for these models.
The second plane in the photo is the LEGENDARY BJ 900  76"span(legendary to a group of us in the north east) Yes the model had 900 square inches of wing area. This model was used to beat the unbeatable Jimmy Cassale at several local contest.

Now whats behind the large flaps Big Jim's thinking was to use very large flaps with reduced movement to create a great amount of lift and reduce drag. Matt these models could turn like no other. The design series goes from a 35 to 60 size.

Matt now the bad side with props and motors available at the time in the wind they could wind up and get pretty fast and the wing would rock up and down not pitch just out board wing up and down into the wind and down wing. With today's motors pipes and carbon flat pitch i think they would be much better. Bob baron (LJ)and Windy(BJ) used these models for many top five finishes at the Nat's.(80's)
At one Nat's i believe in the south west we in new york were getting reports of Bob Barron dominating the Nat's first day Barron in first Second day same then came top five and the wind's came up  barons LJ with an FSR45 and monocote covered  built up surfaces began to flex and he came in third and i think windy fourth so those were the short Cummings of the high aspect planes at the time. To bad the pipe and carbon props were not around.

jose modesto:
Matt here is windys MIG and my plans for the Big Jim LJ 40/46
Jose

Randy Powell:
I always liked the Mig. And Windy's F-16, too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version