Electric Stunt > New electronic technology

Why Fly-By-Wire exists

<< < (10/10)

Tim Wescott:

--- Quote from: Howard Rush on September 03, 2013, 06:05:53 AM ---Yes, it would.  It would take MEMS sensors, now readily available, and the specialized knowledge of control systems, with its kinda esoteric math.  Some of us have the latter, including Brett, me, Igor, and Tim.  I think most of us can see what's coming.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure that the current crop of consumer-grade, lightweight MEMS sensors is up to the task of doing an entire pattern autonomously -- but that's mostly because there's very little information available to the Kalman filter about the airplane altitude until it pops into the first corner of the wingover.  After that, I'm pretty sure you could just attach the handle to a speed pole, then sit down and enjoy the show.

With GPS augmentation it would be a no-brainer, in a corporate-funded half a man-year of effort sort of way.  I've got about 50% of the code for that sitting on my computer, left over from a vehicle tracking project that included some generous terms about what technology I could keep for my own use.  Attach handle to speed pole, push "start" button, sit back...

And Howard -- I don't think the math is kinda esoteric.

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: Tim Wescott on September 05, 2013, 12:54:18 PM ---I'm not sure that the current crop of consumer-grade, lightweight MEMS sensors is up to the task of doing an entire pattern autonomously -- but that's mostly because there's very little information available to the Kalman filter about the airplane altitude until it pops into the first corner of the wingover.  After that, I'm pretty sure you could just attach the handle to a speed pole, then sit down and enjoy the show.

With GPS augmentation it would be a no-brainer, in a corporate-funded half a man-year of effort sort of way.  I've got about 50% of the code for that sitting on my computer, left over from a vehicle tracking project that included some generous terms about what technology I could keep for my own use.  Attach handle to speed pole, push "start" button, sit back...

And Howard -- I don't think the math is kinda esoteric.

--- End quote ---

You aren't going to do a full pattern on inertial guidance with the current MEMs types that would fit in an airplane without an external observer of some sort. the drift and scale factor with 360-degree-per-second maneuver over 6 minutes. And I might suggest you don't want a Kalman filter to incorporate the observers, either, or at least I have seen plenty of cases where the Kalman filters were not optimal in these DOF-constrained cases.

But overall, the notion that it couldn't be done and therefore there's no reason for concern is clearly not valid, even assisting in a few spots could make all the difference in the world, per Igor's example.

Brett

Tim Wescott:

--- Quote from: Brett Buck on September 05, 2013, 01:51:33 PM ---   You aren't going to do a full pattern on inertial guidance with the current MEMs types that would fit in an airplane without an external observer of some sort. the drift and scale factor with 360-degree-per-second maneuver over 6 minutes.

--- End quote ---

I've started up a new thread for this:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=32691.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version