News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:26:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Managing Molicel P28A 18650 batteries  (Read 54 times)

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Managing Molicel P28A 18650 batteries
« on: Yesterday at 12:56:50 PM »
Over the last few months I have converted my SV11 arf from a 4S lipo system to a 6S 18650 setup. Motor runs much cooler at same rpm and prop(different motor but same size, different KV) and the 6S battery is a full 3oz lighter than the lipo battery I was using. I’ve been flying electric on lipos for about 20 years. Only the last 5 or so on CL stunt. I have good grasp on Lipo handling and management but not so much with these newer high rate 18650 cells. Can anyone share their thoughts on these batteries. I’ve been playing it safe so far only charging to 4.1 volts per cell and I’m only running them down to about 3.6/3.7 volts per cell(resting voltage).
I was very regimented on Lipos as I ruined my share in the early days of their use. I’d rather not abuse my 18650s. Are you doing storage charges? Limiting how long you leave a pack fully charged? Any other tidbits you can offer?

Thanks, Matt

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Managing Molicel P28A 18650 batteries
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 04:06:57 PM »
Over the last few months I have converted my SV11 arf from a 4S lipo system to a 6S 18650 setup. Motor runs much cooler at same rpm and prop(different motor but same size, different KV) and the 6S battery is a full 3oz lighter than the lipo battery I was using. I’ve been flying electric on lipos for about 20 years. Only the last 5 or so on CL stunt. I have good grasp on Lipo handling and management but not so much with these newer high rate 18650 cells. Can anyone share their thoughts on these batteries. I’ve been playing it safe so far only charging to 4.1 volts per cell and I’m only running them down to about 3.6/3.7 volts per cell(resting voltage).
I was very regimented on Lipos as I ruined my share in the early days of their use. I’d rather not abuse my 18650s. Are you doing storage charges? Limiting how long you leave a pack fully charged? Any other tidbits you can offer?

Thanks, Matt
Our electric fliers here have pretty much gone to 100% Li-Ion.  I do the same you are doing with the charge, overcharging is bad bad bad, but they can run down all the way to about 3% without batting an eye.  Storage is not necessary as a regular thing like it is with LIPO.  I keep my flying set fully charged for a couple of weeks and rotate through the set (I have 7) so that each battery gets used  at least once in that time frame.  My oldest one is just over a year, has about 50 cycles and performs just like my newest one.  If anyone could be accused of battery abuse, it is me.  Endgame III (64oz) uses every amp it can squeze out of my batteries.  I use 6s 2800 and I routinely put 24-2500 back when I recharge.  2300 if it is windy.  Similar planes to mine but lighter and without all the drag only use 1800.  Point - the batteries don't seem to care.  I am sure others will tell you to put them in storage but my experience is that they just don't need it.   AND 305 grams - priceless.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here