News:

• September 20, 2024, 09:23:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LineMaster 2.4GHz the next generation of Control Line handles  (Read 12270 times)

Offline Carlos Diaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Hello all!
I would like to introduce this prooject we have been working on for several months, the development of this new handle. With an integrated 2.4GHz transmitter, it brings the ergonomics and reliability of traditional grips but with the ability to extend the control and safety of your model. Initially we are thinking about Scale and Carrier flight modes but we plan to expand the project later to Stunt.

Some of the functionalities we have developed so far include:
- Throttle control and 2 auxiliary channels (for flaps, retracts, or whatever u want to add) with the possibility of expansion in the near future to 6 or more chanels.
- Screen with intuitive menus and joystick for navigation.
- Creation of up to 4 models and custom settings for circular flight.
- Slide & Lock mechanism for quick model exchange.
- Over 50 meters signal range
- Over 170lb pull test
- More than 4h of autonomy with a single 18650 cell.

One of our collaborators and test pilot will be Bob Whitney, an incredible pilot and outstanding judge in the world of line control. With his vast experience, Bob is providing valuable insights and reviewing our 2.4 GHz LineMaster control prototype. His confidence in our project is a testament to the seriousness and strength of our proposal. When the prototype is ready, Bob will be our test pilot, ensuring that the 2.4 GHz LineMaster meets the highest standards of quality and performance.

Here is our facebook page if u want to take a deep look.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61560480371015

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: LineMaster 2.4GHz the next generation of Control Line handles
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 09:51:08 AM »
How about a better picture of the handle? What receiver is required? Any idea of an expected availability date or price?  I am returning to carrier after a layoff, and planning to go the 2.4 ghz route. I have modified transmitters and made handles before, and yours looks very interesting.

Bill Bischoff

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2024, 11:02:23 AM »
I too like this handle.  Did a response on facebook, but I don't get on there very often.  Let us know when ready and price. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Manganelli

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2024, 09:12:35 PM »
Pretty Cool...but it's sort of already easy to do from off the shelf parts. Here's mine made from a "Dumbo R/C"  R/C surface controller.  Has 6 channels already, though access to CH 3 and 4 somewhat obstructed by your right hand. These are intended to be held in your left hand and the wheel (deleted) turned with your right hand. I had to alter the mechanics of the throttle channel a bit to accommodate an airplane speed control. Car speed controls go backwards and forwards and center at 1.5 ms. The control with Receiver about $35 from amazon when I got it.

Gave up on it in favor of a Climb and Dive Timer and a large EZ Just handle; throttle toggle a little uncomfortable for stunt. Probably be OK for scale or something where you stay mostly upright. If stunt included a touch-and-go, I'd revive it!

Cheers,

Steve M.
CL means never losing your plane in flight : look in the direction the lines and there it is!

Offline Steve Manganelli

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2024, 09:13:41 PM »
2nd pic of Dumbo R/C handle

Steve M.
CL means never losing your plane in flight : look in the direction the lines and there it is!

Offline Carlos Diaz

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2024, 11:59:02 AM »
At first glance you might think that what we offer is fully replicable with a radio control car, however to achieve this you need knowledge, tools, time and skills and not everyone has those 4 things at the same time. Still, we are pilots and builders, so anyone could do it with a little effort, however you will get at the end of it all a handle that ergonomically was not intended to be used as a control line handle, with switches in places where you probably need the other hand to activate them and in most cases with a sort of settings that were not designed for control line models. And to top it off, you can only have a single model linked to that handle unless you want to be modifying trimmers before each flight or unless, of course, you use the radio in the other hand (totally valid for anyone who likes to do that) and a normal handle for each aircraft.

So what do we have to offer that is different? First of all we offer a product that you only have to buy and use! A product that is designed from the ergonomics and functionality to be a control line handle and feel like one. A handle that allows you to interchange models in just seconds keeping all the mechanical and software setups, check it here https://youtu.be/9Cgpg4Y09DY?si=lGAikSn2zca_7Awx. It allows u to exchange modules to obtain more channels for the most demanding pilots and many other advantages that we will announce soon.

This version is intended for carrier and scale planes, although it has no limitations, anyone can use it. We are also working on a more compact, lightweight Stunt version that includes an automated "touch-and-go" flight mode where you basically program the flight similar to how you program the timer but using a screen and more options.

By the way our handle weighs only 0.6lb compared to the 1.9 lb Dumbo R/C without the modification to hold the lines.

We've been revealing some images and videos but keeping the details hidden, not because we're selling smoke and mirrors, but because we know several people are working on similar products and we want to keep our idea protected until we are ready to launch it to the market.

We are currently in the final prototyping phase, where we have a functional version ready for final testing. After this, it may receive the necessary modifications to be market-ready.

The final price is not yet defined because, being in the prototyping stage, some parts may change, and therefore the prices. Similarly, there are modifications that need to be made for the market launch, which also imply cost variations.

We invite u all to follow our facebook page to stay up to date with the progress.

Offline Steve Manganelli

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2024, 12:53:35 PM »
At first glance you might think that what we offer is fully replicable with a radio control car, however to achieve this you need knowledge, tools, time and skills and not everyone has those 4 things at the same time. Still, we are pilots and builders, so anyone could do it with a little effort, however you will get at the end of it all a handle that ergonomically was not intended to be used as a control line handle, with switches in places where you probably need the other hand to activate them and in most cases with a sort of settings that were not designed for control line models. And to top it off, you can only have a single model linked to that handle unless you want to be modifying trimmers before each flight or unless, of course, you use the radio in the other hand (totally valid for anyone who likes to do that) and a normal handle for each aircraft.

So what do we have to offer that is different? First of all we offer a product that you only have to buy and use! A product that is designed from the ergonomics and functionality to be a control line handle and feel like one. A handle that allows you to interchange models in just seconds keeping all the mechanical and software setups, check it here https://youtu.be/9Cgpg4Y09DY?si=lGAikSn2zca_7Awx. It allows u to exchange modules to obtain more channels for the most demanding pilots and many other advantages that we will announce soon.

This version is intended for carrier and scale planes, although it has no limitations, anyone can use it. We are also working on a more compact, lightweight Stunt version that includes an automated "touch-and-go" flight mode where you basically program the flight similar to how you program the timer but using a screen and more options.

By the way our handle weighs only 0.6lb compared to the 1.9 lb Dumbo R/C without the modification to hold the lines.

We've been revealing some images and videos but keeping the details hidden, not because we're selling smoke and mirrors, but because we know several people are working on similar products and we want to keep our idea protected until we are ready to launch it to the market.

We are currently in the final prototyping phase, where we have a functional version ready for final testing. After this, it may receive the necessary modifications to be market-ready.

The final price is not yet defined because, being in the prototyping stage, some parts may change, and therefore the prices. Similarly, there are modifications that need to be made for the market launch, which also imply cost variations.

We invite u all to follow our facebook page to stay up to date with the progress.

Not trying to get *hitty about it! CL flyers seem to be frugal and like to help each other innovate and create things for themselves. The purpose of my converted surface controller was 2 fold : 1) would manual adjustment of the throttle be helpful in stunt, 2) ability to shut the motor off if I got dizzy! I have a lot of experience with small RF modules in various frequencies and considered a custom, lightweight handle like yours, however the surface controller was too close to the finished product of my desired experiment to pass up.  For the record, I'm not marketing or selling anything, thus the market share of the "Next Generation of Control Line Handles" is all yours  H^^ .

V/R,

Steve M.

Offline Carlos Diaz

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2024, 01:35:37 PM »
Not trying to get *hitty about it! CL flyers seem to be frugal and like to help each other innovate and create things for themselves. The purpose of my converted surface controller was 2 fold : 1) would manual adjustment of the throttle be helpful in stunt, 2) ability to shut the motor off if I got dizzy! I have a lot of experience with small RF modules in various frequencies and considered a custom, lightweight handle like yours, however the surface controller was too close to the finished product of my desired experiment to pass up.  For the record, I'm not marketing or selling anything, thus the market share of the "Next Generation of Control Line Handles" is all yours  H^^ .

V/R,

Steve M.

I completely understand! Our product is a compilation of the community's attempts to achieve all these functionalities, but consolidated into a single device designed from scratch as a control line handle converted with an integrated RC transmitter, not an RC transmitter adapted to control line.

Being able to turn off the engine or reduce speed in flight is not only useful for preventing dizziness, but it also allows you to make an emergency landing if something is not working correctly in your model, if weather conditions deteriorate, or if you simply want to stop the flight. Additionally, it significantly helps shorten the trimming flights of new models.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2024, 06:25:10 AM »
Carlos,
The handle looks great and should be very successful for Scale. What would be a great follow-on product would be a simple 2.4hz small (garage clicker size) handheld device that would allow a flier to start the engine in idle, go to full power for the flight then cut the engine off at will for landing. This would be a great safety feature for us older guys that might want to cut a flight short, cut off in an emergency or just shut down when the pattern is finished.

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 06:51:12 AM by Dennis Toth »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2024, 08:35:24 AM »
I am quite interested in being able to change RPM settings in flight for trimming.  Several people appear to be addressing this and that is good.  I don't think this particular handle will gain much support with the contest crowd unless they can get it under 20grams but it should do great for sport fliers. I think the separate device like the keyfab or a wrist watch type will be better,  but in either case, in my obsessive desire to avoid rules conflicts I want it to be clear that 2.4hz throttle control in a PA contest would be legal.  Rule 2.6 seems to forbid it and Rule 2.7 appears to specifically allow it.  I suspect 2.7, since it is newer and really designed to lay out the 2.4hz boundaries is the governing rule.

Now pardon me while I put on my flack jacket - Ken  LL~
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Carlos Diaz

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2024, 12:50:09 PM »
Carlos,
The handle looks great and should be very successful for Scale. What would be a great follow-on product would be a simple 2.4hz small (garage clicker size) handheld device that would allow a flier to start the engine in idle, go to full power for the flight then cut the engine off at will for landing. This would be a great safety feature for us older guys that might want to cut a flight short, cut off in an emergency or just shut down when the pattern is finished.

Best,   DennisT

You have just mentioned something we have had our eye on for some time. A small device that allows you to configure your flight (replacing the timer) and you can remotely start the timer and cut the engine at will.  ;) We simply want to concentrate on finishing the development of this handle so that we can then move on to the next objective, which is PA.

Offline Steve Manganelli

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2024, 12:56:58 PM »
I have little RF modules on 315 Mhz, 433 Mhz, 900 Mhz and 2.4 Ghz. They all have range of waaay more then 70 ft. Soooo...if I were to use any of these other ones not on 2.4 Ghz, it would be legal in "PA" (is that stunt?) ?  ???

As a practical matter, something that would clip on to your belt with simple tactile controls would make more sense for stunt trimming (and give you that E-stop if necessary). Stunt guys seem real persnickety about handles anyway.

Cheers,

Steve M.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2024, 01:56:27 PM »
I have little RF modules on 315 Mhz, 433 Mhz, 900 Mhz and 2.4 Ghz. They all have range of waaay more then 70 ft. Soooo...if I were to use any of these other ones not on 2.4 Ghz, it would be legal in "PA" (is that stunt?) ?  ???

As a practical matter, something that would clip on to your belt with simple tactile controls would make more sense for stunt trimming (and give you that E-stop if necessary). Stunt guys seem real persnickety about handles anyway.

Cheers,

Steve M.
2.4Ghz is the ONLY frequence that can be used in PA competition.  And YES we are obsessively persnickety about our handles.  The trend in PA handles, to which I am a very late to the game, is to very thin and light hard points weighing 20grams or less.  Mine is 15.  That is why you need to make your PA efforts not dependent on the handle.

ken   
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2024, 09:26:28 AM »
i had the (need a name) 2.4 handle at the Nats scale contest for show and tell got 2 orders and a one maybe depending on price
i will have one at nats carrier hopefully on my 15 carrier ship.

also had good response for the small servo controlled shut off at the RC pylon races
rad racer

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2024, 08:13:07 PM »
I saw the handle at the CL Scale Nats this past weekend. It has a good feel to it. But most important the bar that the lines attach can be removed allowing you to bring the handle back to the model to start the motor, run the throttle and maybe check to see if the other two channels are functioning. Then walk back to the handle slide the bar back into position and then fly the model. The last time something like this was available was the Bill Young handle that was a down the line electronic control system. With this being Spectrum 2.4 Ghz you can easily find a receiver and hook up any servo or ESC for electric power throttle control.

Carlos - Make additional bar units available so that people like myself that have a dedicated set of lines for a model can move the handle from airplane to airplane without unhooking the lines from the bar unit

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Carlos Diaz

• New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2024, 08:41:01 PM »
I saw the handle at the CL Scale Nats this past weekend. It has a good feel to it. But most important the bar that the lines attach can be removed allowing you to bring the handle back to the model to start the motor, run the throttle and maybe check to see if the other two channels are functioning. Then walk back to the handle slide the bar back into position and then fly the model. The last time something like this was available was the Bill Young handle that was a down the line electronic control system. With this being Spectrum 2.4 Ghz you can easily find a receiver and hook up any servo or ESC for electric power throttle control.

Carlos - Make additional bar units available so that people like myself that have a dedicated set of lines for a model can move the handle from airplane to airplane without unhooking the lines from the bar unit

Fred

Exactly Fred!
The idea of being able to separate the handle from the wires easily came from Bob, we just refined it and took it to the next level, not only to be able to disassemble the wires to start the engine but also to be able to interchange models easily and quickly.

My goal is to sell the rods with the screws and cable separately and also the receiver, this way you can have as many modes as you need and use the same handle (although for now you can only store the configurations of 4 models in memory).

Unfortunately the hardware we are using at least for the prototypes does not allow linking with any other receivers on the market so we have created our own receivers with up to 5 channels.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2024, 07:23:46 AM »
Carlos - Contact me with pricing and other details that I put into the Feb CL Scale column. I would need the information by early Nov to get it into the magazine

Don't know if you ever saw the Bill Young handle, he built a down the line electronic control CL handle similar to yours in the 1990's that Grant Heistand and I tested for him. He ended up selling his also, I don't know how many he sold but they were used by the CL community. I have been flying with converted 72 Mhz radios using the down the line methos since 93' and converted over to 2.4 Ghz in 2013. Not all but most pilots these days are flying with the 2.4 Ghz controls.

The attached picture shows three handles:

Upper Left - Bill Young single channel down the line handle
Upper right - Bill Young 3 channel down the line handle
Lower Left - Converted RC Car transmitter built into a handle

I donated these to the AMA Museum over 2 years ago but they have yet to put them on display in the museum

Fred Cronenwett
CL Scale Model Aviation
clscale7@gmail.com
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Carlos Diaz

• New Pilot
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2024, 08:59:00 AM »
Yesterday was first flight of our LineMaster 2.4GHz. I think I speak for myself and our test pilots when I say that we had a great time.
In the video, you can see how we performed a flawless flight with no mishaps, testing the throttle control functionality. Alan Abriss officially became the first person to fly our LineMaster 2.4GHz.

It was also my first flight (the person with the black T-shirt) and it was an amazing experience to be able to master the model with some ease thanks to the speed regulation capabilities of our handle. This shows how intuitive and easy to use our product is, even for beginners.

Moreover, not only did I have fun, but also Alan Abriss and Russell Graves, two pilots with many years of experience in control line flying, showed the joy of someone discovering something new - seeing their smiles and enthusiasm while using the LineMaster and during the discussion afterwards was amazing!

And many thanks to Bob Whitney for his guidance and patience and for donating his old Ringmaster for us to use as a test platform.

Check the video here: https://youtu.be/i0Z4tVZ_AoA?si=bf4EAkTpfifxJ3oa

Offline Carlos Diaz

• New Pilot

Advertise Here