Electric Stunt > New electronic technology

Fly-by-wire bell crank assembly

(1/15) > >>

Kim Doherty:
Here are the details of the Fly-By-Wire bell crank used in my 2012 W/C's model.

The basic structure is our standard take apart spar assembly and bell crank modified to accommodate a magnet holder and stationary hall effect sensor.

The Pic's:

All the component parts.
Note the object of the assembly is to rotate a set of magnets about a central axel inside which is a stationary hall effect sensor.

Bearing caps installed on main spar.

Bell crank with magnet holder assembled to main shaft.

Fully assembled bell crank

Assembly with hall effect sensor. (sensor is just the tip of the wire)

Sensor installed.

Bell crank installed in wing center section.

Wing flap servo mount (note the leadout!)

Yes Virginia, there really was a fly-by-wire model at the W/C's

The electronics measure the angular deviation of the sensor from the rotational midpoint of the magnetic field and convert that to a standard servo signal to move the control surface.

Kim.

Mark Mitchell:
Fascinating Kim.  How about some particulars on the servo installations.

RC Storick:
Kim it is interesting but what is the reason for this system?

MarcusCordeiro:
Crazy!!
So, I believe it would be possible to program the throw, like Igor's system, but one could experimente with diferente combinations just by pushing buttons, like you are setting your eletric motor, you will set the controls...
Is it legal?

Please, post more info... Did i guess right??

Marcus

Kim Doherty:
Mark,

I added a picture of the wing flap servo mount. I never took a picture of the elevator servo. (I was in a bit of a hurry!!)

Robert,

This is the "Fly-By-Wire" system that was so pointedly talked about a couple of years ago. The bell crank is not connected to any pushrods, it simply moves without load generating a signal that is translated into a servo movement and an associated control surface movement. There is no "Netzeband Wall" with this system. The feeling on the handle is not so different than a standard control system. The granularity of the system is very fine and the servos are as fast as you can move so there is no lag. All control surfaces have endpoint control, expo, mixing etc.

Kim.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version