News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:52:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine sound generator for electric's - make a scale ship sound like a V-12  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
One thing that would be neat for electric is to have a sound generator that could make them sound like say a Merlin or a big old radial. This could be cool for scale as well as just for fun in stunt. Anyone have plans for such as circuit?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Already commercially sold for the RC guys.... tad heavy for C/L models

no links..sorry lazy today

google
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
Already commercially sold for the RC guys.... tad heavy for C/L models

no links..sorry lazy today

google

Yep, I’ve seen an RC plane with a sound generator fly. It sounded like a flying tractor.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Yep, I’ve seen an RC plane with a sound generator fly. It sounded like a flying tractor.

Be nice for a scale electric crop duster.  ;D
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Actually these electronics are real sophisticated and while a tad expensive and weight is a challenge the can mimic Don Garlits AA gasser very realistically...or a Roll Royce Merlin, or a super Giant Locomotive coal fired engine including the noises of the drive wheels and steam spews....

There is an ever growing library of sound files to play on these amplified sound systems

BUT loud sound demand a decent SPEAKER and enough drive (WATTS) to amplify the sound so we can enjoy it...miniaturization is about state of the art but a good LOUD system is HEAVY

I know guys who fly RC WWII birds that actually have sound sequencer to simulate start, run up, back to idle, taxi to run way, Lock brakes and run up,,,unlock and take off, round the pattern, Fast low pass... climb to altitude, bleed off, back to idle, flop over the top, dive with accelerating growling and screaming engine.... truly impressive air show out of a 100" wing span Foam ARF P51....

BUT I know the pilot...the snazzy electronics cost way more than the simple Hobby king ARF/RTF Mustang

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Did a little digging and found the sound system at Hobby King (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalogsearch/result/?cat=&q=sound+generator).
Several systems are available maybe someone who knows how they work could comment which ones work.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
And with this :

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/kingduino-compatible-mp3-on-board-microphone-recorder-sound-module.html

You can add any MP3 sound track to the devices....
Tchaikovsky Nutcracker Suite - Russian Dance Trepak.    would not be my pick

The Ride of the Valkyries
from "Die Walküre"    would be   for a RC Huey UH-1H with Guns

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral

The Ride of the Valkyries
from "Die Walküre"    would be   for a RC Huey UH-1H with Guns
My pick too. Or maybe "The Last of the Mohicans".  I would really like the sound of those WWII Merlins. Or the Rolls Royce.  Nest step will be the smoke generator from the exhaust ports.  Boys and their toys!

We could mimic a WWI Rotery noise  (I think Fox tried that with the "burp") for OTS.

Ken
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:08:40 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Dwayne

Re: Engine sound generator for electric's - make a scale ship sound like a V-12
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 05:56:48 AM »
The problem with sound generators is speaker placement, you will need two maybe 3 or even 4 speakers so that the sound can be heard from every angle. I've seen these systems on RC planes and as long as the speaker is facing you the sound is fine, but once the plane changes direction the sound disappears. 

Offline Pepe Llopis

• 2019 supporter
  • New Pilot
Re: Engine sound generator for electric's - make a scale ship sound like a V-12
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 11:21:41 AM »
You will need a smoke generator too

:D

http://www.smoke-systems.com/smoke-el---s-.html

Offline Preston Briggs

• New Pilot
The problem with sound generators is speaker placement, you will need two maybe 3 or even 4 speakers so that the sound can be heard from every angle. I've seen these systems on RC planes and as long as the speaker is facing you the sound is fine, but once the plane changes direction the sound disappears.

Supply earbuds/headphones to the audience and judges.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
And use sonic holography (invented by a combat flier) to make the sound appear to come from the right direction.  Doppler shift wouldn’t be  right for a speaker on the model, so you might as well generate the sound on the ground.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Preston Briggs

• New Pilot
Right... Every pair of headphones would need its own private sonic holigraphier, sensitive to where the listener was standing.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here