News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:40:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: electronic switch operated by iphone  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
electronic switch operated by iphone
« on: August 17, 2022, 10:13:05 AM »
Hello,
My model has Igor's active timer and Spin66F2B ESC.
The mechanical switch maintains the communication between timer and Spin. It is the switch connected permanently to Spin.
First, I connect the battery and then flip the switch to ON. Then, I hear the beep, walk to the handle and fly.

In case of malfunction or/and connection break anywhere in the entire circuit the motor will stop. Assuming this unfortunate event does not lead to model's crash, I will land. How to flip the switch to OFF using my iPhone, while standing in the centre of the circle?

Some iPhone app. can send a simple signal to open the electronic switch, which replaces the mechanical switch.
What app. is needed? What electronic switch, having minimal weight, is needed?

Thanks,
M

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
Re: electronic switch operated by iphone
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 09:31:09 AM »
Hey Matt,

From what I know, what you are searching for is not readily available.  It sounds weird that you can turn your living room lights on and off from half way around the globe but you can't control a motor that's only 65 feet away. 

Ideally, what you would need is a Bluetooth relay module that has sufficient range to cover the distance needed.  The ones that I could see online use the Bluetooth BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) standard. This only has published range of about 10 meters.  If you can find a module that uses the full Bluetooth Classic 4.0 or 5.0 standard with a better quality antenna it should have longer range of about 30 meters or more.  There are many generic Bluetooth control apps available that can connect and control the various relay modules.

Note: Bluetooth uses 2.4GHz spread spectrum technology so should be AMA legal.

Other than that, there are lots of similar devices like these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Control-Latching-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B082WXR37T/ref=pb_allspark_session_sims_desktop_60_6/189-4058637-5824117?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B082WXR37T&pd_rd_r=77458ad2-9f24-4f4d-a598-3eb2e4316775&pd_rd_w=pUqfR&pd_rd_wg=hezKe&pf_rd_p=6dab4af8-14d2-4d59-b0a2-dd973ff1f166&pf_rd_r=79JJE7E65C2QHMZ6B4E5&psc=1&refRID=79JJE7E65C2QHMZ6B4E5
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 11:14:41 AM »
Hello,
My model has Igor's active timer and Spin66F2B ESC.
The mechanical switch maintains the communication between timer and Spin. It is the switch connected permanently to Spin.
First, I connect the battery and then flip the switch to ON. Then, I hear the beep, walk to the handle and fly.

In case of malfunction or/and connection break anywhere in the entire circuit the motor will stop. Assuming this unfortunate event does not lead to model's crash, I will land. How to flip the switch to OFF using my iPhone, while standing in the centre of the circle?

Some iPhone app. can send a simple signal to open the electronic switch, which replaces the mechanical switch.
What app. is needed? What electronic switch, having minimal weight, is needed?

Thanks,
M

I have WIFI cut off which allows hooking between timer and ESC and it is compatible with my timers. The program is for Android, I am not planing to make anything for Iphone because of its development politics, but since it uses TCP/IP it will work with internet explorer also on Iphone (not very nice) ... however it is still in development.

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 01:12:42 PM »
Cool. You must have a rather posh flying field if you have WIFI ;) . From what I understand Android can direct connect without a router but Apple doesn’t like that. It can be done but they make it difficult. WIFI is 2.4 Ghz too.
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 01:48:20 PM »
Cool. You must have a rather posh flying field if you have WIFI ;) . From what I understand Android can direct connect without a router but Apple doesn’t like that. It can be done but they make it difficult. WIFI is 2.4 Ghz too.

Great!  Now we can "pocked cutoff" our motors at 45 on the first leg of the RWO! LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 09:05:17 AM »
Mr P,
If I understand the functional piece, you are looking for a remote toggle on/off function.
Am I correct?

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 01:45:04 AM »
Hi 944_Jim.
You are correct: the electronic switch should have only two states - disconnected (OFF) and connected (ON).
It is, therefore, a toggler.

Hi Igor,
You wrote: "I have WIFI cut off which allows hooking between timer and ESC and it is compatible with my timers".
What exactly is a "WIFI cut-off"?
Android, iPhone?...Does not matter as long as it works the way I described.

Hi Paul,
Thanks for responding with suggestions. The time will show which way my idea evolves.

Best Regards,
M

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 07:08:57 AM »

Hi Igor,
You wrote: "I have WIFI cut off which allows hooking between timer and ESC and it is compatible with my timers".
What exactly is a "WIFI cut-off"?
Android, iPhone?...Does not matter as long as it works the way I described.

It is simply Wifi controlled Iot device which reads signal from timer and will either pass it to the ESC in ON state or send stop signal if set to OFF state. It is configurable in several ways how to behave, now I am not going to describe it deeply, because it is still in development and I will release it to use when I will be 100% sure all is finished, tested and I am not going to make any updates anymore. (because I hate when I send something somewhere and then I see something is not finished, or needs update as is latest common way to make software HB~> )

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 09:10:43 AM »
Hi Igor,
In my own words: your program, WiFi cut-off, is an application. It is installed on a Samsung phone with Android OS.
You are showing two photos - the first one shows red "something". Is it simply your active timer with some extra WiFi cut-off circuit or a stand-alone WiFi cut-off device?

The second photo is self-explanatory.

Samsung must be connected to the internet through a cellular service provider wireless network.
In other words: the phone must be within range of one or more cellular service towers.

Did I get it right?
M

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 09:34:54 AM »
Hi Igor,
In my own words: your program, WiFi cut-off, is an application. It is installed on a Samsung phone with Android OS.
You are showing two photos - the first one shows red "something". Is it simply your active timer with some extra WiFi cut-off circuit or a stand-alone WiFi cut-off device?

The second photo is self-explanatory.

Samsung must be connected to the internet through a cellular service provider wireless network.
In other words: the phone must be within range of one or more cellular service towers.

Did I get it right?
M

No ... again, that red device is reading / repeating signal from timer. so timer must be in model. This device is hooked BETWEEN timer and ESC. Simply additional device which you can install if you need it, for example during trimming etc.

Phone not needs any cellular signal, wifi network or anything like that. Phone is simply connected to the acess point in that red device. It is password protected and security is identical to any other Wifi access point like Wifi router etc. So you use it in open area, you arrange connection from phone to device and it communicates on distance of lines. I use old phone myself without sim card so it will not disturb me if someone calls me.

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 12:47:21 AM »
Hi Igor,
I believe we need a name for the red device.
Can we call it "an electronic switch"?

You wrote:' Phone does not need any cellular signal, wifi network or anything like that '.

If no cellular signal and no WiFi network are needed, the only function of Samsung without a SIM card is to transmit a signal ON or OFF to the electronic switch (red device). Samsung becomes a transmitter.

Did I get it right this time?
M

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 01:06:39 AM »
It will use DIRECT wifi connection of handy to access point in "that device". Network will be router connected IoT modules communicating via router, my solution does not need router, it is peer-to-peer connection of 2 devices (technically TCP/IP client and server) insulated from rest of the world. Just like any remote controll, the only advantage is that you see data comming from "that device" on your handy. This is exactly how all 2.4GHz R/C controls work. YOu send control data and you get back telemetry. You also do not call it "network".

And no, I am not going to call it switch, because it has plenty of other functions. So far Wifi cut off sounds OK to me  8)

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 01:16:13 AM »
And here is another application as used by semiscale flyers controlling motor directly, without extra timer:

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 07:43:29 AM »
And here is another application as used by semiscale flyers controlling motor directly, without extra timer:
This looks like a viable solution that "may" be AMA legal since WiFi is 2.4.  However, won't the table vice make the plane too nose heavy? LL~

Question, is the cell screen activated by simple touch or can it be something that prevents you from "Pocket Killing" your motor?  Where do you carry it?

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 11:47:21 PM »
Hi Igor,
Ok. Let's stick to "WiFi cut-off".
Let's fly something and test it.
Regards,
M

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2022, 10:54:39 AM »
Scratching.my head and thinking out loud:
There is an 80 amp electronically-triggered remote solenoid available:

https://www.thornwave.com/products/tl-ssr-12v-100a-dc-unidirectional-solid-state-relay-ssr?variant=22970353680432&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyNjMvozg-QIVR21vBB2Zjw04EAQYASABEgKNTfD_BwE

Tie it to a garage remote (smaller/lighter than iPhone) to turn on/off the breaker.

The garage remote comes in multi function, or single function kits, with the reciever being enclosed in a small case. The reciever can be removed and embedded in the airframe with very little effort. Of course these are on spread spectrum 335 or 415 mHz. No outside interference when properly paired.

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Wireless-Control-1-Channel-Transmitters/dp/B071WM1YGS/ref=asc_df_B071WM1YGS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216539147262&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1582943295626648393&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1020721&hvtargid=pla-351410254745&psc=1

This would be in addition to a kill-plug, and allow for On/Off from the remote. I'm considering one instead of the timer/throttle options for one of my planes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 12:31:49 PM by 944_Jim »

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2022, 05:18:20 PM »
This kind of device using smartphone is not friendly use for fly.

Handling a cell phone while flying can cause unexpected shutdowns if it is not be on the lock screen.

In case of an emergency, even pick up phone, unlock the screen and turning it off can be too late.

Interrupting the Timer signal will not make the engine turn off immediately. The comercial ESCs takes a few seconds to cut the engine when they lose  signal.

I've already made for me and friends some microcontroller devices to use alone to turn remotely on and off using 433mhz garagem doors controls and one to be used in conjunction with a timer.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2023, 10:00:29 AM »
And no, I am not going to call it switch, because it has plenty of other functions.

Alexa, move the leadouts forward.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2023, 12:18:28 PM »
Alexa, move the leadouts forward.

No way  ;D ... Alexa is excommunicated from that device, it is Android only so Google will not allow Alexa from Amazon to do anything  VD~

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here