News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:36:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric stooge release system information request.  (Read 5276 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Electric stooge release system information request.
« on: September 06, 2021, 03:12:28 PM »
I remember reading some time back that someone had developed an electronic stooge release system. I'd love to get some information on this system. I know the regular mechanical system works so why change things. I like the idea of being able to just set up and go without additional lines and a release that doesn't need two hands. I also just like new ways of doing things. Anyone have any information please post.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
Re: Electric stooge release system information request.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 05:38:49 PM »
Hi Dennis. I have parts to make kits. I did a bunch last year but haven't had many requests as I haven't been advertising anywhere and my website doesn't seem to be active. I did a youtube video on this as well.

PM me if you would like me to get a kit put together for you. Or email me which might be better.

Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 08:26:22 PM »
What key fob model did you use?

Best,    DennisT

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 11:36:31 AM »
Marj,
I sent you a PM for more information on the kit.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 06:54:54 PM »
What happens if you accidently hit the remote button on your way to the handle? ???
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 07:25:58 PM »
The same result as would happen if you tripped on a conventional stooge cord!

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 07:32:22 PM »
What happens if you accidently hit the remote button on your way to the handle? ???
Building season comes early. LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 10:01:45 PM »

My current kits are using a fob with a cover on it to prevent accidental button clicking. I simply put the fob in my pocket and be careful not to hit the button and have the handle in the ready before futzing with the fob.

With the exception of tripping and falling on your face.

Life is good AMA 1488

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 11:43:06 AM »

Been there, done that...twice...too many times to do it again. So I'm building an electronic one too. Mine so far has removeable ballast for small planes and larger, and a flexible arm that should be able to float on grass for grass take-offs or lay flat on hard top.

I also got the key fob with cover so I don't trip over the button.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 08:55:25 AM »

That's why I peg the safety thong to the ground with a big screwdriver.  The theory is the plane will just nose over it there is a malfunction.
I haven't tested it yet.  Which is to say neither the pull cord nor the 2.4G has failed me yet.

Well, the have failed SAFE, which is to failed to release, but I haven't had an unwanted release yet.
Paul Smith

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 10:02:26 AM »
Well 2.4 GHz isn't any better or safer than 833 Mhz. Has nothing to do with the frequency and everything to do with the code interface. With 128 bit encryption the safety factor is identical. The only advantage of using a more complex system with 2.4 Ghz is data transfer which for this task is simply toggling a bit on and off which a single digital word can accomplish that.

What I do when I walk out is leave the fob in my pocket and hold the down line in my hand. I have around a thousand launches on my systems and had one "event" when I didn't properly connect the airplane in the launcher and got in a hurry. The airplane accelerated and nosed over stopping itself while I was picking up the handle. Screwdrivers and large nails work great if you're on  grass which I'm not. Cement is difficult to hammer a nail in to and using the method of walking out with the down line in hand isn't necessary.

We could pile up all of the what if's and end up deciding that flying alone is too dangerous and continue on that path to simply flying is too dangerous. Or just accept that piling up all the obstacles is a waste of energy and accept the small level of risk and enjoy flying. I sent out over 50 units and have never had any feedback which would indicate there is any issue or serious concern. Of course there is the ongoing contingent screaming danger, danger... Happily they aren't around here.
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2022, 02:49:27 PM »
A bit of feedback on this excellent idea.

I've been using one of these electronic stooge release's for a while now and I love it.  I've had to include a microswitch to cut the current when the solenoid reaches the end of its travel.  Had a spate of burnt-out solenoids that this simple cure seems to have fixed.
Also I use a 2S instead of 3S Lipo. This seems to give a less violent pull with still adequate power to release the model.

I fly alone most times, so I peg the thong to the ground. Also, when in front of the model, starting the engine, I restrain the model with a loop of rope around the tail pegged to the ground. Just in case of electronic malfunction or mechanical failure.

Steve

Offline John Tate

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2022, 05:58:58 PM »
Here is one of four electric stooges that I had made for a few club members and me. I copied exactly what Mark Wood has done. His “You Tube” video was very informative. The hardest part was to program the timer so it would only activate the solenoid for one second. That way you do not burn-out the motor in the solenoid. There are several different Geekcreit receivers out there that will work,
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 08:50:10 AM by John Tate »

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2022, 08:32:52 AM »
I thought the reciever could be programmed for momentary contact, vs "latch-on, latch-off." Now I need to check this after reading about cut-off switches.
Thanks for the heads up!

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2022, 07:04:45 PM »
I built one based off of Mark’s idea. The solenoid/trigger system I used only holds the solenoid open as long as you are pushing the button. My solenoid is spring loaded in the closed position. My only failures have been failed to launch. A couple of those were because I forgot to plug in the battery! I leave the remote next to the handle. Pick up and get the lanyard on first then pick up the remote. It’s been great as I like to get out and fly solo for uninterrupted practice and analysis of what I’m doing.

Matt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here