Electric Stunt > New electronic technology

Bill's Magic Dot :-)

<< < (2/2)

Tim Wescott:

--- Quote from: Wynn Robins on January 15, 2015, 01:48:36 PM ---the real question is why?

stunt judging is pure and simply subjective - as the eyes of the judges.   yes this would be a cool idea to see how you are flying in regards to the "perfect pattern"  but it has no use in actually judging... unless all models had the same device fitted and were scored against a computer generated pattern path.     

--- End quote ---

Well, as I said, as a self-coaching aid.  I've found that the most persistent problems that I have are the ones that I don't notice, and when I conceived of the thing I had no one to fly with who had the eye and was willing to constantly critique my pattern.  Having a machine point out the issues in your pattern isn't as nice as having a talented human do it, but it's a good bit better than nothing.

Howard Rush:

--- Quote from: BillLee on September 07, 2013, 06:02:51 AM ---For several years (10+ at least) I have thought of and spoken to several about a piece of technology that would be very interesting to have. I labeled it humorously as "Bill's Magic Dot".

The idea: a small piece of electronics that you could easily attach to the model at the CG, and which would measure and record the X, Y and Z coordinates as a function of time. The sample rate would be ... something .... perhaps every tenth/hundredth/thousandth .... of a second. The name came from the idea that this would be about the size of a CR2032 battery, hence a "dot". It would gave a Velcro back, and the matching Velcro would be permanently attached to the model.

Once attached to the model, the flight would be made, the X, Y and Z coordinates recorded. At the conclusion of the flight, the dot would be taken to a computer with appropriate adapter, and the data downloaded for later use.

--- End quote ---

Some things are easier than they look; some are harder.  This one is harder.

phil c:

--- Quote from: Wynn Robins on January 15, 2015, 01:48:36 PM ---the real question is why?

stunt judging is pure and simply subjective - as the eyes of the judges.   yes this would be a cool idea to see how you are flying in regards to the "perfect pattern"  but it has no use in actually judging... unless all models had the same device fitted and were scored against a computer generated pattern path.     

--- End quote ---

That's one thing that's still missing from the rules- any kind of specific guidance for the judges as to how to grade the importance of different types of errors, and and how much the score should be for the errors they do see they do see.  You can't really call it judging when one judge mainly looks at the shapes, another looks mainly for smoothness, and a third pays attention mostly to tracking.  They all should be looking for the same specific things.

Tim Wescott:

--- Quote from: Howard Rush on January 16, 2015, 11:48:44 PM ---Some things are easier than they look; some are harder.  This one is harder.

--- End quote ---

I actually have software sitting on my computer that would do the job, if you had the sensors from a TUT that recorded at the same time as a high update rate GPS -- and if you flew someplace with good GPS reception all around the circle and no reflections.  For examples of "good GPS reception", Delta park would probably be OK, but I'm not sure if Auburn would work: the fence and passing airplanes may provide enough multipath to screw up the GPS.

PJ Rowland:
The technology exists already to track your manouvers.

Works great.. provided your camera is setup relatively downwind.  Someone posted a link for the software already, just not sure where.
Converts video file into another video file with the comet tail added tracking the shapes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version