News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:21:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Magnum  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sig Magnum
« on: June 25, 2018, 03:40:49 PM »
Mike just yesterday I was able to buy a Sig Magnum Kit in perfect condition for $30 at a yard sale. Maybe you can help me with a few questions.
Do you feel it would adapt well to electric power?
Anything out of the ordinary that would help in building it?
Any modifications that you might recommend?
Should I go IC would an ST 60 be a good choice?

Any help you can give would be appreciated......Thanks,PhillySkip

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
Re: Sig Magnum
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 12:41:11 PM »
Hi Skip,
Great buy on the Magnum.  Yes the Magnum will work great on electric, the ST 60 is way out of date, heavy, vibrates, there are much better and stronger engines today than when I designed the Magnum.  Built stock it will fly way better than most of the models out there if the weight is held to under 60 ounces.  All my Magnums were under 60 ounces even with the ST 60, the ST 46’s were at 54 ounces.

Four glow:  Magnum 52 by Randy Smith.
Electric:  Cobra 2829-12 on five cells with 11-1/2” X 5 three blade.

Suggestions:  Make sure the weight of each piece of wood is in the 4 to 6 wood.  Use only slow drying epoxy to attach the wing & stabilizer skins.  Increase the area of the Stab & Elevators to 25% of the wing area, and move the S&E hinge line to 17-5”.   Note: If you are building it for NOS 30 it has to be built stock as drawn.

Please feel free to email me if you have any further questions.

Later,
Mikey
michael_pratt57@yahoo.com

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 06:39:01 PM »
Mike I'll probably go electric on this project. I have a set of "E Flite" retracts  that I'd love to try out. Do you think the "Look at that" Factor outweighs the additional weight penalty? I would not build it for N30. BTW I flew an old old Magnum with an ST 51 and it was a fine flier,that's why I grabbed the kit.   Thanks,Skip

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 08:21:42 AM »
Mike I'll probably go electric on this project. I have a set of "E Flite" retracts  that I'd love to try out. Do you think the "Look at that" Factor outweighs the additional weight penalty? I would not build it for N30. BTW I flew an old old Magnum with an ST 51 and it was a fine flier,that's why I grabbed the kit.   Thanks,Skip

Hi Skip,
Retracts would be cool.  However, that would require a lot of mods to the wing and spar area to get them to fir, but I’m sure it can be done.  I’ve flown a number of models with retracts some really well done and others not so well.  The thing about retracts is they really help in the wind to clean up the model in flight.  Normal weather thse are little to no help but has a “Cool look” to them.

Later,
Mikey
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:47:07 AM by MikeyPratt »

Offline Nova

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 10:46:24 AM »
Skip - This is Pete Plunkett.   You definitely want to go Electric with your new Magnum.   I converted my old Sig Magnum which I built in the early 90's and it was easy.   Flew it at the Nats last summer and placed 12th in Advanced.   Flies better now than it ever flew with the Tigre .46 even though it weighs 70 OZ now.   The extra weight does not seem to matter.   If you build your kit with an eye towards using an electric motor, I'm sure you can make it much lighter.   There are just too many advantages of electric over glow.   I can go into this in great detail if you want but now that I am flying electric stunt, I'm never looking back.   People who want to tinker endlessly with their Engine/Tank set up can keep flying IC Engines.   I want to FLY.  Not Tinker with Engines.   Let me know if you are interested in what I am using for a set up.

Pete - Austin, MN

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 12:33:04 PM »
Skip - This is Pete Plunkett.   You definitely want to go Electric with your new Magnum.   I converted my old Sig Magnum which I built in the early 90's and it was easy.   Flew it at the Nats last summer and placed 12th in Advanced.   Flies better now than it ever flew with the Tigre .46 even though it weighs 70 OZ now.   The extra weight does not seem to matter.   If you build your kit with an eye towards using an electric motor, I'm sure you can make it much lighter.   There are just too many advantages of electric over glow.   I can go into this in great detail if you want but now that I am flying electric stunt, I'm never looking back.   People who want to tinker endlessly with their Engine/Tank set up can keep flying IC Engines.   I want to FLY.  Not Tinker with Engines.   Let me know if you are interested in what I am using for a set up.

Pete - Austin, MN

Well Guy’s, times do change,
To bring the Magnum up to today’s standards, making a few changes are necessary for the old Magnum..  Increase the stab & elevators to 25% of the wing area (55% elevator 45% elevators) increase the the tail moment to 17.5 or 18” from flap hinge Lind to elevator hinge line.  In my opinion reduce the flap area to 15 to 18% of the wing area.  I would built the model with built up balsa ribs construction to keep the weight in check and get rid of the foam altogether.  Use the 4” bell crank, C/F tube pushrods and 1/8” control horns.  I’ve started drawing up the Magnum II a number of years ago and the plan is close enough to build from. 

Later,
Mikey
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 02:06:09 PM by MikeyPratt »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here