Vendors Corner > Mikey's models

Sig Magnum

<< < (2/2)

MikeyPratt:

--- Quote from: Nova on April 24, 2021, 10:46:24 AM ---Skip - This is Pete Plunkett.   You definitely want to go Electric with your new Magnum.   I converted my old Sig Magnum which I built in the early 90's and it was easy.   Flew it at the Nats last summer and placed 12th in Advanced.   Flies better now than it ever flew with the Tigre .46 even though it weighs 70 OZ now.   The extra weight does not seem to matter.   If you build your kit with an eye towards using an electric motor, I'm sure you can make it much lighter.   There are just too many advantages of electric over glow.   I can go into this in great detail if you want but now that I am flying electric stunt, I'm never looking back.   People who want to tinker endlessly with their Engine/Tank set up can keep flying IC Engines.   I want to FLY.  Not Tinker with Engines.   Let me know if you are interested in what I am using for a set up.

Pete - Austin, MN

Well Guy’s, times do change,
To bring the Magnum up to today’s standards, making a few changes are necessary for the old Magnum..  Increase the stab & elevators to 25% of the wing area (55% elevator 45% elevators) increase the the tail moment to 17.5 or 18” from flap hinge Lind to elevator hinge line.  In my opinion reduce the flap area to 15 to 18% of the wing area.  I would built the model with built up balsa ribs construction to keep the weight in check and get rid of the foam altogether.  Use the 4” bell crank, C/F tube pushrods and 1/8” control horns.  I’ve started drawing up the Magnum II a number of years ago and the plan is close enough to build from. 

Later,
Mikey

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version