News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:50:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: P=Force XL. Flight Report  (Read 2303 times)

Offline MikeyPratt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
P=Force XL. Flight Report
« on: October 16, 2018, 09:58:52 AM »
I just compleated the first session of test flights with the P-Force XL.  First four test flights with the system set at 2 minutes to check for wings level, battery drain, RPM, tip weight and engine off glide. WOW! So Far so good.

Next series of flights the flight time was bumped up to 4 minutes with a slight adjustment to the RPM to get lap times closer to 5.1 seconds.  It felt so good I went inverted with it and a flew a series of inside & outside loops both round & square.  From 45 elevation, when the motor quit the glide was smooth and stable until touch down with a three point landing.

Spec as flown:
Motor:  Cobra 2820/20 KV 970:
Battery: TP four cell 2600 mAh
Timer: K&R
ESC:  CC 45 amp
Prop: APC 11” X 5.5 electric tractor
Line length: 62’ Freon center of model to handle
Lap times: 5.2 to 5.3
Model weight: 50 ounces (model still not painted with out most of the trim).

Next series of 4 flights (set at 5 minutes and 15 seconds) and compleated full patterns.  The maneuvers were all really easy to perform safely without leaning on it.  This set up seem to work effortlessly and provides ample line tension through out the pattern. 

Note:  I moved the leadout forward 1/8” for the next flight and added a 1/4 ounce of tip weight. 

Next series of flights with the timer set @ 5 minutes and 30 seconds.  This gave two laps of level flight before the end warning from the ESC, still with 25% of the battery pack remaining.

Note: removed the 1/4 ounce of tip weight and left the leads out slider in the same position.  The  front edge of the inboard wheel was slightly ahead of the outboard wheel.  Model seems pretty close for contest work in this configuration with this 4 cell system, it works really well.  Having flown 3 more flights with this set up I'm very confident this is very good model aircraft.

Changed the prop to a APC electric 12” X 6 (tractor) and flew a short 2 minutes flight.  The model seemed to loose some of its drive the the corners with this prop and discharging the battery is getting close to less than the 20% safety margin.  Also, the model was slightly loose in the third corner of the hourglass but not really bad but not as solid as the 11”X 5.5 prop.

More reports later,
Mikey

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: P=Force XL. Flight Report
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:12:31 PM »
Pretty impressive that the Cobra 2820, APC 11x5.5 and a 28004s battery will fly a 50oz, 58" wing span airplane with 644 sq. in. of wing area.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:20:28 PM »
Hi Brent,
Thanks Buddy.  I don't think it a killer contest ship yet, but in good air it pretty good.  Today I went two different things, Eaither 10.5” X 6 three blade prop (depitched to 5.25) and a new set of the Russian lines 63’ C to C.  These seemed to work as intended and adjusted the RPM to get the laps at 5.1.  At this point, I still like the 11” X 5.5 2 blade APC E tractor prop the best.  The weather here is going south so I'm going to try and get the paint and trim finished.

I really want to try a different setup with this, motor, battery pack, ESC, and timer and a bunch of different props

Motor: Cobra: 2826/12 KV 760
Battery pack:  5 cell TP2800 mHa
Speed Control: CC Edge 50 Lite
Active Timer:  Fiorotti V.3.0

When laying out the design (and building) I made sure there was room in the motor compartment to change and try different size motors from the Cobra 2820/12 up to an eFlight 32. 

We will see what the weather allows,

Mikey
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:58:49 AM by MikeyPratt »

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 12:29:31 PM »
Poke, Poke......

Tim

Advertise Here
Tags: day one