News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:13:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hey Jim, prop shaft extension?  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Hey Jim, prop shaft extension?
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:30:36 AM »
I'm thinking about the feasibility of building an A4 for carrier with an OS 61 RR. The big problem is because it's a delta the engine would have to be located behind the canopy or it would need 15 ounces of tail weight. I'm thinking it will need a prop shaft extension but not sure how long till I figure out how big the thing will need to be.

Wonder how long I could go till I would need a carrier bearing and if I use a carrier bearing how will it get lubed. Would a sealed bearing hold up with a 61 turining 20 grand? Might be able to cut the length needed for the shaft extension with a custom spinner? So what ya think?

Offline James Lee

• Captain
Re: Hey Jim, prop shaft extension?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 08:25:44 PM »
Bob
Try running a line from the muffler and let the exhaust oil give the bearing a bath.....
How about some drawings...?
Thanks
Jim   

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:41:03 PM »
Go ducted fan?

Dick Sarpoulis did a Hanriot Biche H 110 in Flying Models in 78 or some such.  It was a pusher; he put the engine in front with a boat propeller shaft back to a crank case in the rear; he fed the rear crank case with oil from the exhaust.

So it's been done, and been reported to work.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 03:22:47 PM »
I would think the prop drivers on the McCoy 60 are about as long as you would try as a pure cantilever extension, without a bearing. Similarly the extension on the K&B 7.5 DF engines. The revs those engines reach indicate it's an acceptable length if done to a high enough engineering standard. The longer the extension the more exagerated any slight misalignment becomes.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here