News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: We've lost another one, Bob Arnett of Great Bend Kansas. (1948 Nats Winner)  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Jim Kraft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • AMA78415
I just received a call from Dale Kirn that Bob Arnett passed away saturday the 2nd at the age of 77. Bob won the nats in 1948 flying control line and there was an article in Stunt News about him a few years ago. To those who knew him, he was one of the nicest guys you could ever know.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:43:04 PM by De Hill »
Jim Kraft

Offline Clay Schmidt

• Lieutenant
Re: We've lost another one
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 08:47:56 PM »
Jim,

Thank You for mentioning Bob. We laid Bob to rest today with full military honors. 

His wife Alice had a picture of him at his funeral with the model he used and the trophy he won at the 48 Nats .  He was 19 years old at the time.

Bob was one of those kind of guys young boys like me aspired to be both as a modeler and as a human being. I was fortunate enough to be with Bob my whole life. For that I know he made me a better person.  I'm really going to miss him.

Robert Keith Arnett,, AMA #161, rest in piece my friend.

Clay
Clay Schmidt

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 09:01:15 PM »
Hi Clay; I first met Bob in the early 70's when we were both flying R/C pattern. I really enjoyed his company over about 25 years of flying. After we both quit flying pattern, I used to talk to him on the phone once in a while. I learned a lot from him, not only about modeling, but about the kind of person he was. He was just a joy to be around. We have truly lost a great modeler, and friend.
Jim Kraft

Offline Clay Schmidt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 09:39:36 PM »
Indeed we have Jim.

Back in the early 70's I was in my early teens flying controline.  Bob helped me a lot with my stunt flying.  Only trouble of it was is that he flew clockwise.  He never  did fly any of my planes!  So the help I got from Bob was verbage.  It was effective nonetheless. 

Back then It was common to have a stunt contest right along with a pattern contest as most of the clubs around were multi-interest.  At a contest in Dodge City I remember Bob watching one of my flights.  After the flight was over he told me I had done one of the best reverse wing-overs he had ever seen.  Talk about  making a kid's chest puff out .  I really can't tell you if the wing-over was that good but a statement like that coming from the likes of Bob Arnett  sure boosted my confidence.  I'll never forget it.

Clay

Clay Schmidt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here