News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:36:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tom Niebuhr  (Read 3603 times)

Offline proparc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tom Niebuhr
« on: May 03, 2019, 06:22:06 AM »
With a heavy heart, I regret to inform all of you that, my very Dear and close friend Tom Niebuhr, took his last flight with us at 4:47AM 5/3/2019. When I undertook one of the greatest gambles I ever took in my life, and came to Texas specifically to chase a lifelong model aviation dream, Tom took me into his home and life and counseled and encouraged me. Because of his engineering Degree and career, he alone understood the work that I was doing, and believed that I could accomplish the things that I said I could.
Very seldom in life are we so blessed to have a friend like Tom in our lives. I was one of the very fortunate ones. God bless him.
Milton “Proparc” Graham
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 08:05:32 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tom Neibuhr
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 07:02:41 AM »
Milton "proparc",

Sorry for your loss.  Also appreciate you sharing the uplifting story of his ability to be supportive.  If you or others have more stories, we are open to reading.

Peter

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 07:19:40 AM »
So very sorry to hear this.  I never had the opportunity to meet Tom but did follow him on here.  Rest in peace Tom.

Mike Griffin

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 07:22:55 AM »
Tom was a valued GSCB member.
He encouraged John Miske to pursue OTS as an event, and was active in formulating Classic.
He was a great builder as well
Pictured is Tom with his wife Linda at the first OTS event 49 years ago. The negative was reversed in the magazine photo.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 07:48:41 AM by peabody »

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 08:02:52 AM »
I had the joy of meeting Tom in Muncie one year and we were instant buddies.  I suspect that is the way Tom was.  We communicted often down through the years about our common interests of stunt and music and I felt as close him as you can to anyone who is a long distant friend.
I shall miss his phone conversations, but having talked freely about our faith to each other, am confident we shall meet again!
God's best, Tom.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 08:46:47 AM »
Tom was a caring and generous gentleman.  I feel fortunate to have known him.

Here is a shot of him at the OTS 20th anniversary event.  I assume that is his wife Linda next to him
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:12:00 AM by Jim Hoffman »

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 09:25:04 AM »
 I am very saddened to hear of Tom's passing. I first met Tom in the late 60s while we were both employed at McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis. We spent many hours and days together, modeling, and other activities with our wives. Tom was a great friend and will be sorely missed.
 God speed my friend, and may He give comfort to Linda at this time.

Larry Fruits   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:59:54 AM by Larry Fruits »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 10:33:45 AM »
I can't remember when I first met Tom.  But, when he asked for some one to build his design I jumped at the chance.  Even though I was never close to him he always treated like he had known all his life.  May he rest in piece now. :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 01:15:51 PM »
I’m very saddened to read this. Prayers to his family and friends.
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 01:36:48 PM »
My heart is heavy hearing of Tom's passing.  When we moved to the Dallas area he welcomed me with open arms and made me feel a part of the group.  He was quite a guy!  He'll be missed.  My prayers for the family.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 02:05:28 PM »
I never met Tom, but I've conversed with him on this group.  The world is a poorer place without him.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 04:55:30 PM »
Very sorry to hear this.  I didn't really know Tom well,  he came over and introduced himself to me at the Houston Team Trials, but he was an enjoyable and interesting soul to talk to.  My sympathies to his family and many friends.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 06:19:24 PM »
This is devastating news for all of us who fly models, and especially for those of us here on the East Coast who flew for years with Tom. I vividly remember watching Tom fly his original design Clipper at many contests. I had not yet begun to fly competition aerobatics at that time, but was an avid fan and watched from the spectator side of the ropes while Tom flew against the best of the Eastern Senior fliers such as Buddy Wieder, Lou Wolgast, Eddie Elasic, George Jones, and others. It was a great show that they put on. I will miss our long phone conversations. Tommy was a truly great man. My condolences go out to Linda and the rest of Tom's family.

Bob Hunt

P.S. In the attached photo Tom is in the front row kneeling at the far right.

Mark_Gerber

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 07:40:48 PM »
I met Tom at the Circleburners Old Time Stunt event in about 1990.  He and I shared a love of classic airplanes.  He was a great guy.

Mark Gerber

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 07:56:44 PM »
Tom was a good friend who was quite supportive of me when I first joined the Stunt Community from the Combat Bunch! He took much time to show me the fine points of his orange and white JD Falcon at  a Circle Burner Contest back in the 80's when I really was a dumb Beginner. I truly never forgot this kindness from a superb Expert guy. He's the kind of guy we all need to boost us all along as we go through the tad pole stages.

My most sincere sympathy to Tom's surviving family. God's Speed.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 09:56:18 PM »
I talked with Tom on the phone a few times but never actually met him. He was a super nice guy and very willing to help a fellow modeler in any way he could. Sad day for sure.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2019, 12:30:00 AM »
This is indeed very sad news.

I met Tom many years ago and and though we lived far apart we became good friends and corresponded as well as meeting at various contests.  Tom was truly a fixture in "Aeromodeling" and particularly the Stunt community.  Very sorry He's gone from our midst!

Fair weather and tight lines my friend.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

John A Miller

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 09:49:25 AM »
Sad news, we'll miss him surely. See you on that bright day, I'll bring the fuel.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 01:27:19 PM »
'So sorry to lose Tom. While only acquainted via phone and my purchase of his nice "Roadrunner" kit, I knew he was special. He not onlyhad a wealth of information and talent for creating attractive designs, but would seek out opinions and information, if he thought he was short. I really enjoyed talking with him and feel this most recent loss to our community. He is one of the most truly caring people I've met among us. - SK

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 03:32:30 PM »
Tom was one of the good guys.
I met him at the team selection contest at Buder Park in 1973.
Through the years he would visit with me at Orange Blossom Hobbies during his work travels and I always enjoyed his company.
He lost contact with me between 2001 and about 2012 but we reconnected on the phone at least three or four times each year since then.
We didn't talk a lot about the planes but I sure spent a lot of words trying to convince him to retire. Don't think he ever did. Sad.
God Speed.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 12:57:21 PM »
Sorry to hear about Tom. I spoke to him a few weeks ago, and made some attempt to visit him when I was overnight in Dallas but never did. I'm sorry for that. Thanks for the notice, Milt.
Chris...
With a heavy heart, I regret to inform all of you that, my very Dear and close friend Tom Neibuhr, took his last flight with us at 4:47AM 5/3/2019. When I undertook one of the greatest gambles I ever took in my life, and came to Texas specifically to chase a lifelong model aviation dream, Tom took me into his home and life and counseled and encouraged me. Because of his engineering Degree and career, he alone understood the work that I was doing, and believed that I could accomplish the things that I said I could.
Very seldom in life are we so blessed to have a friend like Tom in our lives. I was one of the very fortunate ones. God bless him.
Milton “Proparc” Graham

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
Re: Tom Niebuhr
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 09:49:57 AM »
Oh my, so sorry to learn of Tom's passing. We never met, but spent many hours on the phone. Built two of his Roadrunners (best flying profile I have), his JD Falcon and he helped me a lot with his short kitted Bellanca Viking. He was always available to help and we usually strayed off the topic of models to full size (which we both flew). So long good friend.
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 06:18:10 PM »
Met Tom at the Coxsackie NY meet a few time. Still have his Falcon kit built 18 years ago.
We all miss him
EddyR
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 02:39:08 PM »
Very saddened to learn this news. I have Tom's JD Falcon nearly done. Guess it is time to get it done. Also have his short kit for the Impala and the Box Car. Last I heard from Tom he was building an Impala. Don't know if he ever completed it.
Lyle Spiegel
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here